Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

While it wasn't pretty for the first 3 quarters I'll just say thay this team showed a lot of mental toughness to come back to win down 17 points heading into the 4th.

And while they were lucky that the Detroit RB dropped the go ahead TD with 10 secs to go they still fought back hard enough to deserve to win this game.

This is the type of win that can spark a team and raise the confidence levels of everyone after all the criticism thrown this team's way this offseason.

I know it's just Detroit but they are always a tough opponent for us and division wins can never be discounted.

Good way to start 2020. Hoping the defensive line shores itself up whenever Quinn and Edwards are able to play. Let's ******* go!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

While it wasn't pretty for the first 3 quarters I'll just say thay this team showed a lot of mental toughness to come back to win down 17 points heading into the 4th.

And while they were lucky that the Detroit RB dropped the go ahead TD with 10 secs to go they still fought back hard enough to deserve to win this game.

This is the type of win that can spark a team and raise the confidence levels of everyone after all the criticism thrown this team's way this offseason.

I know it's just Detroit but they are always a tough opponent for us and division wins can never be discounted.

Good way to start 2020. Hoping the defensive line shores itself up whenever Quinn and Edwards are able to play. Let's ******* go!

10000% agree. Good post

28 runs, 36 passes.  Our offense was more balanced than most of last year. 

Our 3rd down effeceincy needs to improve.  We ended up 2-11, we started 0-7

Trubisky is not Mahomes.  We were down 23-6 before Trubisky went loose.  We can't fall behind 23-6, we'll lose 9/10 times.

Play calling was ok.  Not as bad as last year, but still needs improvement.

1 sack, 1 INT.  Our D is better than that. 

We need Goldman back

Next is our home opener against the Giants.  If our play calling is better, we should win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

A decent, fairly dramatic, come from behind win by the Bears--because of competent play by Trubisky. The Cubs got a No-Hitter from a middle of the rotation guy.

This may be the best day of 2020 thus far. Nobody spoil it for me...

Don't forget about the White Sox, who are the best team in the AL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Thinkin' you might like some home fries with your crow?  Or do you prefer the veggie of the day.

Don't know why anyone didn't expect the offense to start out with some hitch in their giddy up.  It's the first game action any of them have seen.

Let's call it a win where they did just enough to do it and lucked out in the end.

Defense needs to tighten up.  Yeah it was AP but still.  Way too may long gains and not near enough of a pass rush.

Mitch got bailed out by some circus catches by ARob and Miller but the last TD pass was perfect.

Still to much inconsistency all over but whatta we expect for game one with no preseason tune ups.

What's the deal with Quinn?  Are we gonna have a problem with a 30 year old guy who just got paid and then goes MIA most of the preseason and game one?

I was wrong about him today and looking back he is pretty clutch in late game situations, but he’s been awful in Q1 thru Q3.

I don’t expect that to change. Expecting to win with heroics is not realistic.

• Like 1

Having been accused many times of unbridled homerism today I'll lay out some critiques.

1) Mitch's receivers saved his *** this afternoon with some incredible catches on some close but off target throws. I'm gonna hope we can chalk that up to fine tuning their timing and Mitch getting his fastball under control.  Even the TD pass to Graham was poorly located but the one to Wims was not.  Of course as open as Wims was I could have completed that one myself.  But in the end the TD pass to Miller was spot on and it was a great catch with tight man coverage......so redemption at last.

2) Pagano and Jay Rodgers need to tighten up that run defense.  Some of the run fits by the DL and ILBs were really poor.  If Jenkins is gonna play NT then he has to swallow up blockers and I don't see that yet.  Nichols is not a true block eating NT.  He likes to penetrate gaps like a DT so are they gonna have him do that or play as Goldman did and keep his ILBs clean.  Gotta decide because the run D was not good.

3) And for the love of God Nagy when you're backed up inside your ten with the clock ticking towards the half run the phuc'n ball and force the other guys to burn up time outs if they want to stop the clock.  You handed Detroit a gift TD you should not have by leaving them time enough to score rather than be forced to settle for a FG. This is your third year as a HC/Playcaller and we expect YOU to stop making rookie mistakes too.

And last mostly in general I want to see a little more Ditka out of you Matt Nagy.  These guys are pros and so are you.  It idea isn't to get them all to like you it's to get them to trust in you and respect you.  Sometimes it takes a little public honesty and an *** chewing to get that done.  I'm not saying you need to be as brutal as Ditka could be in his Sybil moments but you can be more brutally honest because you know damn well the Chicago Media will be and along with them Bears fans.

I'm not as sick of losing as I'm losing because the same mistakes and boneheaded penalties and play calls keep being repeated like there are only three Bears game episodes called Heroic (like today), Ho Hum (like we won in spite of ourselves), and Horrible (as in WTF were you thinking).  If well coached this team has more than enough talent to win most games and be in it 'til the end losing only by a narrow margin.  So coach it like that.....OK?

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Just now, Nads786 said:

I was wrong about him today and looking back he is pretty clutch in late game situations, but he’s been awful in Q1 thru Q3.

I don’t expect that to change. Expecting to win with heroics is not realistic.

I know but couldn't help slidin' that one in.  LOL

And you are 100% correct.  Mitch is an enigma and one thing I do know is QBs who are an enigma don't win Championships.

I'm not taking anything away from his 4th Q rallies but what I am taking away is the fact that he's repeating an old habit of not getting untracked 'til the desperation sets in.  We shouldn't need 4th Q heroics to beat a team like Detroit.

That may work against lower tier teams but not against contenders.  We got TDs off two total mismatches between our bigger receivers and small DBs the one to Graham being the luckier of the two.  Anyone else but Graham based on the location of the throw and it may not have been a TD.  His size and his experience won that battle.

In my summary I suggested that Nagy come down hard on him this week and not let him off the hook for needing heroics to win a game we should have had in hand by halftime.  No more training wheels or velvet gloves.  Yes, we lacked preseason games to tune up but he was working with his receivers off campus all spring so only completing 55% of his passes won't do especially when for the first three Qs all he could muster was 46%.  Last Q heroics should not have been needed.

Now that we're playing for real I don't intend to be very forgiving of repeated mistakes by either Mitch or Nagy.  This is year three now for both and it's time to prove we can do more than just eek out a win over second and third tier teams.  It's time to prove we belong in the games with the winners too.

• Like 1

A poor game turned into a fun one at the end. 

Run game was much improved. Hopefully we get to see more play from the OL like tonight, especially against some of the better offenses. 

RBs finished runs well and shows vision. Cohen looked faster and Patterson is a better RB than WR imo. 

Graham needs to get his timing with Tru and be a security blanket, not a sub-50% completion guy. But he made some big plays for us and some nice seal-off blocks. Kmet was a ghost but that was expected with no preseason and a vet ahead of him. Hopefully he keeps working on his blocking so he can be out there more. 

WRs and Tru both were bad the first half, each shooting the offense in the foot at separate times. But they came together and finished strong. They HAVE to get better on the first 3 quarters to compete though. Saw some flashes from a few guys but was disappointed to see Ridley be a healthy scratch. Mooney did well though at least. 

Nagy is making the same level of mental mistakes Tru is guilty of. Tru makes the stupid sack/fumble, Nagy botches clock management and helps DET get momentum. 

Defense finished strong and had a good start, but late 2nd until the 4th was rough after Nagy used 15 secs before half. 

We need a big guy to protect Smith and DT. Goldman was fantastic at it but with him out I don't believe Jenkins or Nichols is that guy to do it. I still say Snacks can come in and be a 2 down guy. Get Nichols out there pining his ears back on 3rd and you'd be better off. Smith in particular would thank you. 

DT was garbage, this might have been his worst game as a Bear. He didn't move around like the guy we expected, maybe he got his ankle rolled up on or something but he just looked sluggish. He nearly cost the game. Hopefully he heals/gets himself right immediately. 

Fuller and Johnson were a damn good duo. Hope to see them rocking WRs together for the next several years. 

EJax was around the ball. 

Kicking was perfect, I'm damn happy he did well. 

All in al it was an ugly win but one I'm glad to have a W for. Loved seeing them fight back. 

• Like 2

Just got off work and an idiot customer spoiled the game for me but I still watched the recap. I was very excited watching it because I knew you would all lose your minds in the first half of this thread and then be all congratulatory and giddy at the end of it. You sheepy sheeps

thoughts:

-Trubisky definitely redeemed himself at the end after an abysmal less than 50% comp start but is going to need to find that sweet spot sooner in games 

-running game no one really stood out in it but everyone did good all around. 

-Anthony Miller finally did something which is nice. Robinson is a stud. Mooney had decent flashes and showed he already deserves time on the field. Everyone else was unspectacular. 

-Kmet kinda looked like a scared kid at times. Graham did better towards the end but the two targets two drops start he had was a sign of what we are gonna get out of him this season. All in all, none of our 800 TE’s impress me yet. 

-o line did pretty good, better than I’ve seen in a minute

-I think Jaylon Johnson had a baller first game, looked like a rookie on a couple plays especially when he got truck sticked. Fuller did pretty okay, showed he’s a random ball magnet. Eddie Jackson had flashes but everyone needs to get on the same page

-lbs and dline: meh. Hopefully as we go further in the season they show up and Quinn can make a difference and let Mack finally start doing something. 

-Cairo Santos killed it. He didn’t have any difficult kicks but was a fringe roster player so he exceeded my expectations by hitting 100%

i left for work just before halftime after we ****ed up on the 10 yard line and I had a pit in my stomach because I felt like the momentum was fully going to head in the lions way but the bears put it all together in the end and won in a less spectacular way that was kinda reminiscent of the “the bears are who we thought they were” ‘06 game vs the cards

Quick rewatch if first half before work.

Not picking up 3rd and 1 and then punting on 4th and inches on first drive was big.

Line is looking much better.  Ifedi is a huge upgrade at guard.  Massie made some nice run blocks.  They are playing well together.

Patterson experiment at RB looked good and will probably get better.  

First pass to Graham was on Graham.  That hurt. Leno got beat on an inside move next play. Drive dead as Bears go in 4 and 7 and give Lions good field position.  Which they convert to 3 points.  Probably at least 6 point swing on that drop. 

PI call on Fuller.  

Trevathan is playing in mud with broken ankles.  They have to think about benching him if that continues.  Or now.  Don’t these coaches watch practice?  How can this just manifest in a game only? Huge concern.

Dline outside Mack is doing poorly on pass rush.

Bears WRs are making circus catches but only Mooney is getting separation throughout the game. On most plays it looks like everyone is covered.  More of them need to move and look when MT scrambles.

MT is looking only at Robinson on too many plays.  

It was not an easy catch, but I think Graham dropped a TD catch for his second drop of game.  Bears go up 10-6 at this point is a big difference.  Could be at least 13-3 without first drop and maybe 17-3. 

Then Bears get aggressive with under a minute from their own 10 give ball back at Lions score to make it 13-6 Lions.  Terrible Sequence of events and gives all momentum to Lions.

2019 Quinn is sorely needed. 

• Like 1

Johnson played well.   He had his hands on some balls.  That might have been a steal of a draft pick.  

We really, really need Quinn.  But even when we get him I don’t know what kind of condition he will be in.  Concerning.   Rookie DE Gipson got pancaked by a TE.  Not good.   

We really miss Goldman.

After game 1 it looks like Bears let wrong ILB go.   Not sure what is wrong with Trevathan.  Hurt, out of shape, what?  Very concerning.  I’d rather they played 3 safeties with Bush than see that again.  

Roquan looked fast.  For all the ribbing on him being fat and partying all offseason.  That is very encouraging.  

Trubisky was not nearly as bad in first half as people are saying.  Graham makes those two catches and everyone would feel differently.   He wasn’t great by any stretch either though.

Mooney is much better than I thought coming out of college.   He was open a lot.    I think it is becoming clear my weakest college evaluation point is WRs.  At least I am not alone there as they seem to be a really hard position to judge.

• Like 1