Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If Trevathan is out of shape let him get in shape in practice instead of games.   Figure something else out until he looks better.

Don’t do like you did with Long and just keep playing him out of veteran respect.  

It was one bad game by Danny T. in an shortened off season and no preseason.  I'm not overly concerned about him and I think he'll bounce back..unless he's secretly injured...

I think some of these guys just need to get their legs under them for the first few games.

Early on the Bears D seemed to be stout against the run, but as the game went on it was evident that they were gassed a bit.  

The main concerning thing for me though right now is NT.  There were too many big runs let off to AP.  We never really saw the defense allow a runner to do that last season, especially not a 35 year old one lol, even tho AP is a freak and I respect the heck out of him, that's unacceptable for this D.

Without Goldman, I think Bears need to look at possibility of playing more even man fronts with their D-line.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am genuinely encouraged by what I saw from Mitch.

You have to be kidding. What was encouraging from the game yesterday? He made the same mistakes he did last year and the previous. Even his "clutchness" is exactly what we saw from the playoff game. 

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It was one bad game by Danny T. in an shortened off season and no preseason.  I'm not overly concerned about him and I think he'll bounce back..unless he's secretly injured...

I think some of these guys just need to get their legs under them for the first few games.

Early on the Bears D seemed to be stout against the run, but as the game went on it was evident that they were gassed a bit.  

The main concerning thing for me though right now is NT.  There were too many big runs let off to AP.  We never really saw the defense allow a runner to do that last season, especially not a 35 year old one lol, even tho AP is a freak and I respect the heck out of him, that's unacceptable for this D.

Without Goldman, I think Bears need to look at possibility of playing more even man fronts with their D-line.

Snacks is out there.

Three very minor things that had they been just a little, tiny bit different, would change the way people are describing the first half as just beyond awful.    (It was still bad, but people would feel a lot different had these things not happened).  

1) First series went 3 and out on a 4th and inches.

2) Graham had two drops that would have greatly changed how first half looked in a multitude of ways.  Oops that's two things.  I am not smart.  

3) Nagy tried to score at end of first half from his own 10 with less than a minute left.   Detroit then punched in a score right before half instead from good field position.  That is probably also two things.   Doh.  

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

You have to be kidding. What was encouraging from the game yesterday? He made the same mistakes he did last year and the previous. Even his "clutchness" is exactly what we saw from the playoff game. 

-Less dink and dunk

-More multi read plays

-Misses were by inches not feet

• Like 2

What a world that I'm agreeing with Windy that Mitch was better.

Have to say though, watching this out of town, and the first half was bad enough that I was concerned about drinking too much too early, so took the kids to the beach to play. Came back to that dire scoreline and then had a great time watching the rest.

The OL was much improved, I especially thought Leno looked significantly better at run blocking than 18 or 19.

Mitch looked a lot cooler in the pocket, even after bad throws. 

I totally get why people knock Graham's blocking. Oof. 

Johnson was my favorite player to watch. Really dig his style.  He's pretty strong too!

Mitch will never be a precision passer but he did better the first half than his stats indicate. Graham dropped 2, ARob dropped one, someone else dropped one iirc but cant remember who. ARob was held in the endzone on a catchable ball too. 

He isn't good enough but for his first game action he turned it one and got the W. It was ugly and would have likely been a blowout against a really good team but take what we can. Hopefully they build off it, I'll take ugly W's over exciting L's any day. 

• Like 1