Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

I'm going to call this bit now (might as well have some fun with this)

-Mooney and Ginn both see the field at the same time, and Trubisky misses a  breakaway TD to one in the first quarter on a bad throw.

-The run game ends up sucking. Nall never gets going, and Cohen continues to be used ineffectively.

-Everyone is calling for Pace and Nagy to be fired by halftime.

-We still end up winning via a second half comeback with a mediocre offensive performance

-Trubisky will have 45+ passing attempts and a QBR of 70-85

-There will be one deep ball completion to either Ginn or Mooney for 50+ yards (maybe even a TD)

-The TE's account for any other scores we get.

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm going to call this bit now (might as well have some fun with this)

-Mooney and Ginn both see the field at the same time, and Trubisky misses a  breakaway TD to one in the first quarter on a bad throw.

-The run game ends up sucking. Nall never gets going, and Cohen continues to be used ineffectively.

-Everyone is calling for Pace and Nagy to be fired by halftime.

-We still end up winning via a second half comeback with a mediocre offensive performance

-Trubisky will have 45+ passing attempts and a QBR of 70-85

-There will be one deep ball completion to either Ginn or Mooney for 50+ yards (maybe even a TD)

Oof. How is THAT fun? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oof. How is THAT fun? 

35 minutes ago, Epyon said:

35 minutes ago, Epyon said:

-We still end up winning via a second half comeback

I'm expecting the shortened covid camps to result in some pretty goddawful play leaguewide in the first half of most games.  I think we still get the W, but the first half is going to be a *poop* show.... the offense will get up to competent by the second half and I think the defense will absolutely brutalize Detroit... I'm expecting some really big things from the pass rush in particular, and the Lions to really struggle to put points up on us, despite our offense looking lost in the first half.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I really doubt we'll see many offensive gems from anybody for the first two or three weeks. Also, Goldman will surely be missed, but I'm not sure the Lions will be good enough that his absence will be glaring. 

I want to see how they keep Smith and DT clean before assuming they can be the same kind if defense.  Hicks went down and the difference was huge, he is better than Goldman but same principle applies imo. Kwit was physical enough to fight off OL more often than not, I'm not sold that our remaining guys are just yet. 

If Monty is 100% I feel much better about Bears chances on Sunday.

I think I should also point out that it is always the case in all of football that first games are not an indicator.   Teams that look good in week 1 often end up crappy and teams that look crappy often end up good

In college and high school football week 1 is always a comedy of errors.  Because they have no preseason and limited practices.   Just like NFL this year.   Expect some keystone cop football on offense and defense across league in various games.   

I would expect a lot of lopsided games this weekend  - that are not indicative of difference in skill or talent of those two teams.

Another thing is when there is a long period between playing and a game like a bowl game or first game - results can be crazy.  Because that is a lot of time to plan and spring surprises.

Whereas week to week you have a good inkling of what a team wants to do.

If you are expecting a team to do Y and practiced for Y and they come out and do a lot of X, which is 180 degrees from Y - you are often screwed with little recourse. 

I say this every single year and every single year Bears fans freak out if they lose first game.   It does suck because there is so much anticipation.  I get it.  But you can't over react in either direction.

I think we see a lot of 4-2-5 this year with Mack and Quinn on field together at DEs with 2 DTs.  

If I am Pagano I also pull out some 5-1-5 with Roquan lone LB and maybe a 3rd safety instead of a corner depending on offensive personnel.  

Twitter bears writers are saying 4-3, but I fail to see point of bringing a 3rd LB on field and creating match up problems.  If it is a heavier look go with an extra DL or an extra Safety.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If you are expecting a team to do Y and practiced for Y and they come out and do a lot of X, which is 180 degrees from Y - you are often screwed with little recourse. 

This has me nervous for what the Lions will do defensively against Trubisky and our offense.

Run the ball, run the **** out of it.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

This has me nervous for what the Lions will do defensively against Trubisky and our offense.

Run the ball, run the **** out of it.

You can't just ram it down a teams throat that doesn't want you to.   Even Detroit.  Not with this system and these players.  

If Nagy has been secretly practicing the wishbone maybe they can do that.  

Otherwise he is going to have to pass the ball to win.   If Detroit lets him run into light boxes their coaches should be fired immediately after the game.  

The only game plan is shut down the run and intermediate passes.  However you choose to accomplish that.  

Make Chicago beat you deep and to outside with someone other than Robinson.  

If that isn't Detroits defensive game plan their coaches should be fired day after game.  

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

This is a big game for the offense.

A fast start on offense would be huge to a unit that needs a confidence boost.

It would provide a lot of momentum.   Losing openers last several years has been a real downer.

Edited by dll2000

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It would provide a lot of momentum.   Losing openers last several years has been a real downer.

We haven't won an opener since 2013, second longest streak in the league behind the lowly Browns.

• Like 1