Bears at Lions - Week 1

dll2000

On 9/7/2020 at 12:07 PM, dll2000 said:

People have been hating on Cohen all offseason.  I think that is recency bias.  He had a crappy year, but previous two years he has been a dynamic playmaker.  

Welcome to the what have you done for me lately crowd. People throwing out words such as "useless" or "garbage" to describe him are mainly from people who don't really understand football. 

Cohen is not special by any stretch, but he's as versatile of a player that you can get in the league, and a durable one at that. 

On 9/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, Heinz D. said:

I think you're overstating his performance in his first two years.

He's not overstating it all. 12Tds and over 3,000 all purpose yards for a role player in his first 2 seasons is pretty damn good. 

Last year, he was forced to take on the role of a change of pace back AND as the role of a TE alternative in a offense that didn't have a reliable one. That's alot to expect from ANY player. Much less a 5'8 100 pound running back.

Cohen's biggest attributes with the ball in his hands are his speed and shiftiness. Those attributes work great against heavier flat-footed linebackers playing zone or man coverage but not against faster and more agile safeties/DB's.  Atleast not on a regular basis, anyhow.

For safeties/DBs against a player of Cohen's size, it's much easier to play closer to the LOS (while still having respect for his speed) and have a better chance of throwing him off his route while also having more ability to cover more ground in the event that Cohen still beats him. 

We seen this alot last year with defenses playing more 5-6 back sets.  

With Kmet and Graham here, I hope that Nagy has learned his lesson and will go back to putting Cohen in a better position to succeed by using him more in places where the defense is forced to put a LB on him. Just like he did in 2018.

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Cohen is not special by any stretch, but he's as versatile of a player that you can get in the league, and a durable one at that. 

With Kmet and Graham here, I hope that Nagy has learned his lesson and will go back to putting Cohen in a better position to succeed by using him more in places where the defense is forced to put a LB on him. Just like he did in 2018.

I think they did a deep dive on his scheme and realized it doesn’t work without viable TEs.  They can’t run the ball or attack middle, flat or seams effectively off play action or RPO read.  

Really good news is our TEs have had a lot of practice hype and praise and by all accounts are looking good.  

Bad news is one is cast off from last year and is on older side and other is 2nd round rookie that was said to be kind of raw coming out.  

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think they did a deep dive on his scheme and realized it doesn’t work without viable TEs.  

This is very important to keep in mind, the Eagles exposed us in the 2018-2019 Playoff game once Burton was too injured to play, and it continued through the 2019-2020 season due to injuries and overall poor talent at the position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G08 said:

This is very important to keep in mind, the Eagles exposed us in the 2018-2019 Playoff game once Burton was too injured to play, and it continued through the 2019-2020 season due to injuries and overall poor talent at the position.

Of course theoretically you should be able to adjust your scheme to fit personnel.   

But the line wasn't blocking and was missing assignments, there was no deep speed and you only got mediocre play at TE when you finally put in a TE off street and an UDFA.  Before that it was simply awful.

Add to that QB was playing sub par.

So literally nothing would have worked.  

It wasn't scheme that was problem in 2019 for offense, it was execution and talent and also talent under performing.  Pace screwed the pooch in offseason and Nagy and staff screwed the pooch in training camp.

The failure to recognize the problem team was having at O line and TE in practice and address it in some way was inexcusable.   

None of us saw camp this year.  And it was short.  Wonder if they aren't missing on another major problem.  Could be at CB, or with Quinn (haven't heard much about him) or with RBs or at kicker.   We'll see.

16 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He's not overstating it all. 12Tds and over 3,000 all purpose yards for a role player in his first 2 seasons is pretty damn good. 

I'd qualify those numbers, combined with watching him play, as "pretty good".

To me, that's a ways off from "dynamic". 

12 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Meh. Mid-week IR reports mean very little. I'll wait for Friday reports. 

Way too many conflicting stories about Monty's health. 

I'm more concerned about Mack & Quinn because Nagy doesn't love running the rock anyhow, but like you said, I'll be more concerned on Friday if nothing changes