Schefter: Trubisky "expected to be" the starter

beardown3231

It’s the right move IMO. Can go from Mitch to Foles if Mitch is bad pretty easily, but much harder to go from Foles back to Mitch if Foles is bad. Also, Mitch should have to lose his job to the guy brought in to compete with him, and by the account of most Foles wasn’t notably better than Mitch in camp, if at all. 

That aside, this was the best outcome for the competition from Pace’s standpoint too. If this was a sham show competition in favor of Foles as some suspected then going for Foles over obviously more talented players makes less sense. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that best case for all involved (except Foles) moving forward is that Mitch takes the job and shows himself worthy of keeping it long term.

From Nagy’s position, if he wanted to move on from Mitch now he had EVERY excuse to do so now even if he wasn’t convinced Foles is any good (which, to stay consistent on the record, I don’t think he is). Everyone on his staff except Ragone has more ties and investment in Foles at this point than Mitch. Presumably they vouched for Foles before he was acquired at least at some level. Moving forward the organization has significantly more financially invested in Foles (3 years and $21M guaranteed) than in Mitch (this year at whatever his 2020 cap hit is). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s the right move IMO. Can go from Mitch to Foles if Mitch is bad pretty easily, but much harder to go from Foles back to Mitch if Foles is bad. Also, Mitch should have to lose his job to the guy brought in to compete with him, and by the account of most Foles wasn’t notably better than Mitch in camp, if at all. 

That aside, this was the best outcome for the competition from Pace’s standpoint too. If this was a sham show competition in favor of Foles as some suspected then going for Foles over obviously more talented players makes less sense. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that best case for all involved (except Foles) moving forward is that Mitch takes the job and shows himself worthy of keeping it long term.

From Nagy’s position, if he wanted to move on from Mitch now he had EVERY excuse to do so now even if he wasn’t convinced Foles is any good (which, to stay consistent on the record, I don’t think he is). Everyone on his staff except Ragone has more ties and investment in Foles at this point than Mitch. Presumably they vouched for Foles before he was acquired at least at some level. Moving forward the organization has significantly more financially invested in Foles (3 years and $21M guaranteed) than in Mitch (this year at whatever his 2020 cap hit is). 

Is this because of the popular "if Mitch doesn't start, his confidence will be shot" opinion? If so and if that is true, that not only isn't the guy I want starting week 1 but also not a guy I want on my roster & that is such weak s*** and everyone involved in this decision should be ashamed. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Progression, leadership, and overall performance?

Wow.

Call me salty, but that sounds like a whole truckload full of bull**** to me. 

And it should to everyone else, too. 

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You need to see if he actually sucks. 

Was 2019 the exception or the rule?

Unless he's truly balled out in camp, I think it's pretty clear what the answers to your questions are.

And he hasn't truly balled out in camp. 

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Is this because of the popular "if Mitch doesn't start, his confidence will be shot" opinion? If so and if that is true, that not only isn't the guy I want starting week 1 but also not a guy I want on my roster & that is such weak s*** and everyone involved in this decision should be ashamed. 

It's Pace trying to save face. Which isn't surprising. 

Mitch has no confidence. Unless...he's miraculously found some in the off-season. Which is doubtful.

Will be overjoyed, beyond reason, beyond words, if I'm wrong.

Haywire Mitch will be on full display, most likely in the first game. And if the Bears are to win, they will have to overcome that. 

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No, it's because of optics as a football operation.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

For me it’s more about the message it would send to the roster. If you’re replacing Mitch with Foles before week 1 after Foles didn’t do anything to show better in camp you’re (Nagy) telling the team you’ve decided Mitch isn’t good enough to win with at all. If/when Foles plays like Foles does most of the time and he needs to go back to the bench in favor of Mitch you’re replacing him with a guy you’ve already told the team you don’t think you can win with. Flipped around, Foles already has the credibility that coming off the bench he can be successful. No assurance, but some history.

I hate to equate it to normal work because it’s different, but if your boss gets demoted for performance and then 2 months later is put back in place as your boss, are you going to have any faith in his ability to do the job? 

• Like 2

Told y'all it was pretty obvious Mitch would be named the starter barring a catastrophic collapse or injury in TC.

If they wanted to full on replace Mitch then they would have brought in someone better than Foles in the beginning.

Now if Mitch sucks you have a legitimate reason to go to Foles and let him work his magic.

I'm just glad they're giving Mitch one last chance to show us why he was drafted 2nd overall.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Told y'all it was pretty obvious Mitch would be named the starter barring a catastrophic collapse or injury in TC.

If they wanted to full on replace Mitch then they would have brought in someone better than Foles in the beginning.

Now if Mitch sucks you have a legitimate reason to go to Foles and let him work his magic.

I'm just glad they're giving Mitch one last chance to show us why he was drafted 2nd overall.

How late is too late? Like, if they're 1-3 or 2-4, the season is about over anyway so who cares if Foles comes in?

But if they're 3-1 & they're winning despite Mitch, would they replace him?

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They brought in Foles to light a fire under Mitchell's ***, which it seems like it did. Now he has to perform, and if he doesn't they have Foles for the next 2-3 years at roughly $8M/season. It's a win-win.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

How late is too late? Like, if they're 1-3 or 2-4, the season is about over anyway so who cares if Foles comes in?

But if they're 3-1 & they're winning despite Mitch, would they replace him?

I don't know...those are hard questions to answer. I don't think his leash will be long though. 

Like I said I'm just glad we will see him have another chance.

• Like 1