Schefter: Trubisky "expected to be" the starter

beardown3231

Chicago Bears name Mitch Trubisky as starting quarterback

ByZack Pearson 91 minutes ago   https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Chicago-Bears-name-Mitch-Trubisky-as-starting-quarterback-151039324/?utm_source=247Sports%2520Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=200904_190205_ChicagoBears&utm_content=Link

9717364.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Mike DiNovo, USA TODAY Sports)

CHICAGO, Ill. — The Chicago Bears' quarterback competition is officially over.

When the team hits the field in Week 1 against the Detroit Lions, it will be Mitch Trubisky leading the first-team offense out there. Matt Nagy held off as long as he could in announcing the winner but Multiple sources are reporting that the head coach has told Trubisky that he has won the job here on Friday night.

Trubisky won the battle over Nick Foles after a unique offseason that included no OTA's, no minicamp and no preseason. Instead, the Bears had to resort to off the field Zoom meetings for the majority of the offseason until they started training camp a few weeks back. Over the course of the two-week training camp, it appeared that neither Foles nor Trubisky pulled ahead in the race to win the starting job.

1COMMENTS

Both had their fair share of struggles and it looked like the worst-case scenario for the Bears.

For Trubisky, he gets another shot to prove he’s the guy in Chicago. The former No. 2 overall pick has struggled so far in his time with the Bears and after a bad 2019, the team went out and traded for Foles to bring in competition. Trubisky responded well and went out and won the job.

49 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Told y'all it was pretty obvious Mitch would be named the starter barring a catastrophic collapse or injury in TC.

If they wanted to full on replace Mitch then they would have brought in someone better than Foles in the beginning.

Now if Mitch sucks you have a legitimate reason to go to Foles and let him work his magic.

I'm just glad they're giving Mitch one last chance to show us why he was drafted 2nd overall.

I seriously can't believe that anyone is surprised by this at all. I feel like only select few of us have actually been paying attention. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I seriously can't believe that anyone is surprised by this at all. I feel like only select few of us have actually been paying attention. 

Yup.  Came out as expected.  By typical NFL rituals Foles would have had to have come in and smoked Mitch in camp.  That didn't happen and given how bizarre this offseason had been it's not surprising either.  Foles came in having to play catch up while Mitch spent time tuning up with his guys off campus.

If all things were equal Mitch's mobility makes him harder to defend and if the OL is still struggling to get it together that may play an important part over the first few games.  All four are winnable games.  If Mitch can't beat these teams and we come out at least 3-1 if not 4-0 then it's decision time again IMHO.

Starting Mitch while having Foles loosening up in the bullpen makes the most sense because one has been a career starter and the other a career reliever.  Once a former starter gets demoted to the bullpen that's about it for his career as a starter.  Mitch is getting his last shot to avoid being demoted to backup.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'd have to think it's a 3 to 4 game window. If he's playing like pure **** through 3 weeks, he'll be done.

If we're 3-1 after the first quarter of the season, and he's playing mediocre ball? He'll keep his job.

The teams overall record will matter but context would be needed If we're 3-1.

One, no preseason games. Remember Nagy admitted that he made a mistake by not playing the offense in preseason and was planning on doing it this year. But now with C19, he can't. So that's going to play a factor.  If the offense struggles then it could easily be chalked up to this. However, this would also only matter if they see progression in Mitch and the offense getting better each week through the first 4-5 games and not regression. If not, then this may be the point where they start the reevaluation process and throw Foles in the bullpen to warm-up to start week 8-9.   

Another thing that would matter is how good/bad Foles has been looking in practice during this time too. If he still looks off by week 5-6 then Mitch will get even longer leash.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

Yup.  Came out as expected.  By typical NFL rituals Foles would have had to have come in and smoked Mitch in camp.  That didn't happen and given how bizarre this offseason had been it's not surprising either.  Foles came in having to play catch up while Mitch spent time tuning up with his guys off campus.

If all things were equal Mitch's mobility makes him harder to defend and if the OL is still struggling to get it together that may play an important part over the first few games.  All four are winnable games.  If Mitch can't beat these teams and we come out at least 3-1 if not 4-0 then it's decision time again IMHO.

Starting Mitch while having Foles loosening up in the bullpen makes the most sense because one has been a career starter and the other a career reliever.  Once a former starter gets demoted to the bullpen that's about it for his career as a starter.  Mitch is getting his last shot to avoid being demoted to backup.

It's ironic that you used the same analogy as I was typing the above. And yes, I agree. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

I’ve been thinking about this after I saw the news. After I had a few drinks I became less pissed. ive changed my stance a little.

He should start the whole season no matter what. Good or bad put him out there each game. I know they may be in job saving mode if Mitch plays poorly the first 3-4 games. But too bad. I want to see what he can do a full season with this much pressure on him. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

15 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I’ve been thinking about this after I saw the news. After I had a few drinks I became less pissed. ive changed my stance a little.

He should start the whole season no matter what. Good or bad put him out there each game. I know they may be in job saving mode if Mitch plays poorly the first 3-4 games. But too bad. I want to see what he can do a full season with this much pressure on him. 

Lets not go overboard here.  The pressure has been put on Mitch for two years now....this team was built around it.  One season won't change that.  As a QB, you either got what it takes or you don't. 

If this team has a winning record ~8 games into the season with a chance of making the playoffs and Mitch is still showing no progression then it's time to bring in Foles in hopes that he can do enough to atleast salvage what's left of the season to earn a playoff spot. 

Foles is not a long-term starting caliber QB by any means but he is a higher end back up QB and that's what he was brought in to be. In this game, a quality back-up QB is an essential piece to every team and Foles>>>>>>>>>>Bray in this regard. 

All in all, this a pointless convo to have anyways because they didn't pay Foles 20M to just sit the bench the whole year anyhow unless Mitch is playing at a top-10 level or some ****.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So many salty Bears fans out there on twitter right now after hearing this news lol.

Even some Bears reporters are acting very childish and surprised by this decision as if they thought it was in the bag that Foles would start. I thought these guys were supposed to be objective?

How did people not see this being the outcome from the very beginning ? I knew when beats traded for Foles he was merely an insurance plan. Pretty obvious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Foles is a really expensive insurance policy.

The trade looks like an over pay for a guy who couldn’t beat out MItch.

To me he seems to have been brought in as a worst case scenario and a raising of the floor in the QB room from Daniel, who was realistically an option to supplant Mitch for injury but not  ineffectiveness. Foles can be both. If he’s the guy at some point this year other than injury to Mitch then we’re drafting, signing or trading for the next guy we expect to be the guy in 2021. Foles’ contract is effectively nothing more than Chase Daniel’s contract adjusted slightly for inflation. 

• Like 1

Foles is a really expensive insurance policy.

Yes it was. It was an expensive insurance policy that didn't move the needle at all considering the gap between Mitch and any other available option at QB in free agency was minimal at best. I've been saying that too for the last 9 months which is why I was against it.  

The trade looks like an over pay for a guy who couldn’t beat out MItch.

He's our savior, you ain't heard? 

To play a little devil's advocate here in Foles defense, there was no real "competition" taking place. I don't care what the beat writers were saying. He had no chance of being the starter.  Pace was not going to give up on Mitch that easily. 

Foles was put in a bad situation altogether--especially with C19.  He didn't have a real chance to compete with no offseason programs, limited/shortened practices, no preseason games and no chance to really build a camaraderie with his teammates whereas Mitch had the immediate advantage in this regard after playing with the majority of them for the last 2 years.

The lack of offseason hurts the staff plans ---league wide, not just the Bears. Not only player development but by how much less time they have to evaluate each position. They are literally trying to cramp 8 months of work into 12 days. 

For example, by all accounts, Mitch and Foles were literally switching snaps every 1 or 2 plays. How do you draw an objective conclusion from this when it takes several reps to build a rapport with the rest of the offense? 

This is part of the reason why I take all offseason talk with large grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

So many salty Bears fans out there on twitter right now after hearing this news lol.

Even some Bears reporters are acting very childish and surprised by this decision as if they thought it was in the bag that Foles would start. I thought these guys were supposed to be objective?

How did people not see this being the outcome from the very beginning ? I knew when beats traded for Foles he was merely an insurance plan. Pretty obvious.

That's their ego talking.  Its almost like a weatherman getting called out for being so wrong on their prediction.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Lets not go overboard here.  The pressure has been put on Mitch for two years now....this team was built around it.  One season won't change that.  As a QB, you either got what it takes or you don't. 

If this team has a winning record ~8 games into the season with a chance of making the playoffs and Mitch is still showing no progression then it's time to bring in Foles in hopes that he can do enough to atleast salvage what's left of the season to earn a playoff spot. 

Foles is not a long-term starting caliber QB by any means but he is a higher end back up QB and that's what he was brought in to be. In this game, a quality back-up QB is an essential piece to every team and Foles>>>>>>>>>>Bray in this regard. 

All in all, this a pointless convo to have anyways because they didn't pay Foles 20M to just sit the bench the whole year anyhow unless Mitch is playing at a top-10 level or some ****.

If Mitch shows no progress we can kiss the playoffs goodbye. 

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's their ego talking.  Its almost like a weatherman getting called out for being so wrong on their prediction.  

Well if that was their prediction then these guys suck at reading the tea leaves. 

Like I said it was pretty obvious all along that Mitch would be given one last chance to start considering all they invested in him and that he is playing in a contract year.

You think Pace was just going to move on from him that easy? Sheesh