Schefter: Trubisky "expected to be" the starter

beardown3231

I disagree that it was a sham competition and Mitch was foregone conclusion.  It was a legit competition that could have gone either way and I don’t believe the staff even now is even sure they made right call.

Neither have been lights out.   But neither have stunk either.  It was a highly subjective human decision.  One that is easy to get wrong in either direction given choices.        

Mitch to his credit worked really hard all off season and performed to best of his ability.  Foles just isn’t or wasn’t good enough to clearly beat him out after staying at home and away from team until late summer.   Not fair, but is what it is.

The problem with this is now you have 1/2 prepared one QB by splitting valuable reps.  The plus is you motivated them to concentrate and work as hard as possible in a competition rather than coast through camp.

The other problem is now you have a short leash situation.  You can’t play loose.  Mistakes are getting you pulled and replaced by other guy.  

I think Montgomery being out early will really hurt Mitch.  He needed that more than Foles did.   

Other thing as I have said all along.  Neither of these guys has ever played a full season.  Other guy will get his shot at some point for some reason no matter who ‘won’ competition.   

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well if that was their prediction then these guys suck at reading the tea leaves. 

Like I said it was pretty obvious all along that Mitch would be given one last chance to start considering all they invested in him and that he is playing in a contract year.

You think Pace was just going to move on from him that easy? Sheesh 

Again I have no issue with this as long as Trubisky truly was better. By Hoge's account, he was; however if Pace was involved in this in terms of practice field evaluation, shame on them. Just because he f***ed up doesn't mean he should continue to f*** with this

2 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

If Mitch shows no progress we can kiss the playoffs goodbye. 

I think it’s at least possible the injury last year was far more limiting on him last year than anyone let on too. If that’s the case then he probably shouldn’t have been out there. We’re finally at the point where what we see on the field will answer some of these questions for us though. 

• Like 1

Its not surprising Mitch looked better in camp this year.  

I went to a full practice last year and watched as many as I could find on YouTube and Twitter.

On most team reps there was a free rusher messing up timing of the play.  How can you practice like that?

His prep last year in camp was beyond horrible.  I blame Nagy and Heistand for poor coaching and poor coaching decisions in practice and personnel and Pace for 2019 O line personnel as well.

I don’t absolve Mitch of his poor 2019 play as he made numerous crappy reads and throws, but his offseason practices were hot garbage and his in season line and TE blocking was garbage as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Foles is a really expensive insurance policy.

The trade looks like an over pay for a guy who couldn’t beat out MItch.

Is he?

Cap hit of $6.67 million in 2020 and 2021. Can be cut in 2022 with $3.67 million in dead money.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

So Foles was a PR stunt like Glennon?  I bet a lot of guys in the locker room are questioning what our coaches #1 priority is.  Tru is not better and doesn't look like he's even worth the time. Who are we tanking for?

Glennon started games.  He wasn’t a PR stunt.  He was supposed to be veteran placeholder for Mitch to learn under.  He just sucked.  

This was (2nd) dumbest thing Pace has done. He brought in a sucky QB who didn’t know the offense to teach his high round draft pick.   All he did was give all the offseason reps to Glennon under a lame duck coach who could give a rats *** if Trubisky developed or not. And why should he? 

I said so in real time.  I have been an overall Pace defender, but Glennon move and subsequent decision to start him after they drafted Trubisky at 2 was so stupid.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Lets not go overboard here.  The pressure has been put on Mitch for two years now....this team was built around it.  One season won't change that.  As a QB, you either got what it takes or you don't. 

Exactly.  This is Mitch's 4th year in the NFL and even if I give him a pass for year one either he can operate an NFL offense efficiently and consistently each week or he can't.

To date he's established a pattern of inconsistency and a failure to grasp NFL defenses and concepts to beat them.  If those ever develop there's a pretty good chance it will have to be somewhere other than in Chicago.

The training wheels are off now.  Either he can do it or Foles comes in and takes over doing the best he can to keep us playoff bound and in 2021 we're shopping for a new #1 QB.  I've always been a supporter of Mitch but his time to develop into a competent starter has ended.  Either he is or he isn't and it won't take 16 games to find out which.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Given our need and those QBs available trading for Foles made sense on several levels despite the opinion of code name "Blow Hard". Quite an appropriate nickname right?

If by chance he remains a #2 his pay is no greater than that of any other top shelf backup.  If he takes over as a #1 and earns his bonuses he's still gonna be millions cheaper than other vet starters are getting.  At least in this case unlike Glennon we do have a competent vet who can handle this offense and from whom a rookie can learn.

Given all of what we know now I would have made the same decision Pace made simply because I'm willing to consider all aspects of a move as opposed to a singular biased point of view.

FWIW I don't think anyone could sum it up any better than this.

But you figure Chicago owes it one last chance to see what Trubisky can do with this new coaching staff. The Bears still have a big investment in Trubisky. The ultimate hope remains that the former No. 2 overall pick turn things around — learn how to read a defense, clean up the processing issues and have that moment where it all clicks. And if that doesn’t work, they can always turn to Foles to carry out the remainder of the season before parting ways with Trubisky.

By declining Mitch's 5th year option Pace essentially untied himself and the Bears from anything more than this final chance Mitch is being given to prove he's an NFL level starter the Bears can build around.  If he can't show that he's in control and can score point he's simply not the right guy for this team and we move on leaving the starting role in Foles hands while we re-draft for another young QB.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Exactly.  This is Mitch's 4th year in the NFL and even if I give him a pass for year one either he can operate an NFL offense efficiently and consistently each week or he can't.

To date he's established a pattern of inconsistency and a failure to grasp NFL defenses and concepts to beat them.  If those ever develop there's a pretty good chance it will have to be somewhere other than in Chicago.

The training wheels are off now.  Either he can do it or Foles comes in and takes over doing the best he can to keep us playoff bound and in 2021 we're shopping for a new #1 QB.  I've always been a supporter of Mitch but his time to develop into a competent starter has ended.  Either he is or he isn't and it won't take 16 games to find out which.

The highlighted part is what I've been screaming about since '18 and where I hold Nagy responsible. He kept those diapers on for far too long and by the time he was willing to take them off in early '19 he had other issues on offense (injuries, OL play,  TE play, internal staff issues, etc). Then doubled down on his mistakes by trying to go BACK to coddling him instead of letting swim in the river he created and learn from it--albeit the other aforementioned issues played a part in this decision, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, G08 said:

Is he?

Cap hit of $6.67 million in 2020 and 2021. Can be cut in 2022 with $3.67 million in dead money.

This is where I'm conflicted. The contract structure that we gave him is fair and it makes it better. But his contract almost guarantees that Foles is here for 2 years (unless trade happens--more on this later). The stipulations put in place for him to be a FA in 2021 fall under the category of unlikely earned, given the circumstances. 

Nevertheless, the idea of spending that much money on a backup QB, who is equal to their counter-part and not likely to see the field unless Mitch is terrible and the team is struggling to stay in contention, seems like a move that is not only wasting money but also comes off as being more of a forced move than it was being a move with the teams best interest mind type of move. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is where I'm conflicted. The contract structure that we gave him is fair and it makes it better. But his contract almost guarantees that Foles is here for 2 years (unless trade happens--more on this later). The stipulations put in place for him to be a FA in 2021 fall under the category of unlikely earned, given the circumstances. 

Nevertheless, the idea of spending that much money on a backup QB, who is equal to their counter-part and not likely to see the field unless Mitch is terrible and the team is struggling to stay in contention, seems like a move that is not only wasting money but also comes off as being more of a forced move than it was being a move with the teams best interest mind type of move. 

Unless Foles himself opts out.

That said I would hope we wanted him here for at least two years if not all three.  If we end our time with Mitch we'll be glad we have Foles.  JMHO

• Like 1