Sign in to follow this  
pwny

Dolphins release Josh Rosen

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

What better judges around the NFL are there than actual professional NFL coaches who have talked to him, seen him drills, seen him in practice, seen his film, etc? 

Just cause you're the best doesn't make you infallible.  Everyone in the NFL missed on Tom Brady for 5 rounds (including the Patriots).  NFL teams make mistakes when it comes to judging talent all the time.

With that said, I don't think Josh Rosen is some supremely talented QB.  I just think he's better than a lot of guys who are currently on active rosters.  And better than some starters.  He's just been dealt a bad hand thus far.  If he was surrounded by better talent and coaching I doubt his career would have gone the way it has thus far.  Who you surround a QB with matters as much as their natural ability.

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Just cause you're the best doesn't make you infallible.  Everyone in the NFL missed on Tom Brady for 5 rounds (including the Patriots).  NFL teams make mistakes when it comes to judging talent all the time.

With that said, I don't think Josh Rosen is some supremely talented QB.  I just think he's better than a lot of guys who are currently on active rosters.  And better than some starters.  He's just been dealt a bad hand thus far.  If he was surrounded by better talent and coaching I doubt his career would have gone the way it has thus far.  Who you surround a QB with matters as much as their natural ability.

He's garbage. TWO teams now have given up on him after one year despite investing some pretty high resources on the dude. This is virtually unheard of in the NFL where 3rd rounders playing a far less prestigious position than QB tend to stick around at least for the duration of their rookie contracts even if they rarely see the field.

The mental gymnastics that's required to defend Rosen at this point is unreal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He's garbage. TWO teams now have given up on him after one year despite investing some pretty high resources on the dude. This is virtually unheard of in the NFL where 3rd rounders playing a far less prestigious position than QB tend to stick around at least for the duration of their rookie contracts even if they rarely see the field.

The mental gymnastics that's required to defend Rosen at this point is unreal.

Both teams drafted young QBs with more talent (especially Kyler Murray).  I don't think that makes Rosen a bum.  He just wasn't better than those 2 QBs.  There are 32 NFL starting jobs.  I think he's good enough to play for at least a few of those teams.  And he's definitely better than most of the backups.

Rosen isn't elite.  But he's not a bust either.  He's a guy with solid ability to be a starter that was dealt a bad hand.  We'll see how he does in Tampa because that looks like a great situation for him.  Brady is old.  The Bucs have a ton of offensive talent and a good head coach.  If he can't succeed there then you will be right and I will be wrong.

9 minutes ago, VanS said:

Both teams drafted young QBs with more talent (especially Kyler Murray).  I don't think that makes Rosen a bum.  He just wasn't better than those 2 QBs.  There are 32 NFL starting jobs.  I think he's good enough to play for at least a few of those teams.  And he's definitely better than most of the backups.

Rosen isn't elite.  But he's not a bust either.  He's a guy with solid ability to be a starter that was dealt a bad hand.  We'll see how he does in Tampa because that looks like a great situation for him.  Brady is old.  The Bucs have a ton of offensive talent and a good head coach.  If he can't succeed there then you will be right and I will be wrong.

Lol, cmon man

He's two years removed from being a Top 10 pick and is sitting on a practice squad. Even JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf were both a member of their original teams in their third year.

Was he dealt a bad hand? Perhaps.

But if he showed anything even remotely close to promising, there's no way that he would be jettisoned by two teams who invested quite a large bit of assets to procure him. And he wasn't even worth a roster spot to be a backup, either.

• Like 4

On 9/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, candyman93 said:

Pittsburgh, New England, and New Orleans need to give him a call.

Why?   He isnt franchise QB talent, and he isnt really better than most backups.

I wouldnt necessarily care if we signed him, but at this point, I view him on a similar level as our 2 current backups.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Lol, cmon man

He's two years removed from being a Top 10 pick and is sitting on a practice squad. Even JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf were both a member of their original teams in their third year.

But if he showed anything even remotely close to promising, there's no way that he would be jettisoned by two teams who invested quite a large bit of assets to procure him. And he wasn't even worth a roster spot to be a backup, either.

Glad Miami gave him a chance. 

Glad Miami dumped him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Lol, cmon man

Youre arguing the same guy who said Josh Dobbs was a franchise QB talent.   

Speaking of which, we resigned that franchise QB....so we dont need this one.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Lol, cmon man

You have faith in the personnel decision-making of NFL teams.  I don't.  I have seen too many Pro Bowlers and All Pros who were cut by one team only to make it big on another team.  Could Rosen be a bust?  Sure.  I just don't think we have seen enough to say he is a bust right now.  I see a guy who was put in some bad situations that was unable to overcome them.

As I always say, we'll see what happens.  If you are right and he is already a bust, then he will never be a quality starter in this league.  However, if he ends up being a quality starter for a number of years in this league then he will obviously not be a bust.  

18 hours ago, VanS said:

All 32 teams are wrong.....gotcha.

Now think about this. Rosen is currently sitting on a practice squad hanging onto hope that he even still has a job next week while they are 32 teams in the NFL with roughly 20-30 professional evaluators each employed with centuries of combined football experience and there is still very little to zero interest in him. 

What you're inadvertently saying at this point is that 1000 professional coaches, with years of experience, are wrong and that your unprofessional opinion succeeds all of them. How do you not see this? 

I feel like this is another case of trying to be different just for the sake of being different. 

18 hours ago, VanS said:

Everyone in the NFL missed on Tom Brady for 5 rounds (including the Patriots).

I would also recommend this for future references. 

PSA: Anytime you or anyone else feel the need to bring up the rarest and most unique anomaly in NFL history (Brady 6th rd)  in order to back up any opinion....that alone should give you pause enough to throw up red flag that maybe you should rethink your stance on the subject. 

You should never have to reach this deep in your cherry-picking pocket. And if you do, then that probably means you are wrong. 

18 hours ago, VanS said:

With that said, I don't think Josh Rosen is some supremely talented QB.  I just think he's better than a lot of guys who are currently on active rosters.  And better than some starters.

Expand on this. Which starters are you talking about? And what part of his particular game that makes you believe this (foot work, throwing motion, reading defenses, etc?)

19 hours ago, VanS said:

He's just been dealt a bad hand thus far.

I said this in the Bears forum a while back.  With the Cards...yeah. Klingsbury may have wanted to choose his own guy instead of trying fit a round peg in a square hole like Nagy did with Mitch. So yeah...that may have a bad hand for him. 

However, Miami gave a up a 2nd round pick for him and jettisoned him less than a year later and now he has very little interest from 30 other teams. What does that tell you? 

No team gives up that much draft capital and are willing to spend that much time in development unless they truly believe that he's their guy

My outside POV. What I believe happened was that Miami was desperate and saw some positive things on tape that got them excited and the staff felt Gase could fix the negative parts of his game in a similar way that Gase "fixed" Jay Cutler.  

So then they brought him and actually saw him in practice, preps, film room, game days, etc and then admitted to themselves...."we were wrong. He's not it fellas. Let's cut our losses now before we bury ourselves even deeper in the hole and start looking for a better alternative in the draft. Try to trade Rosen and see if we can get any buyers.  If not.....then move on. " 

Again, what does all of that tell you?  

18 hours ago, VanS said:

Who you surround a QB with matters as much as their natural ability.

You don't build around a QB who you don't believe in.  You cut your losses and move on. That's why Rosen is in the position that he is now. No GM or coach believes he is a guy worth investing in and building around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

You have faith in the personnel decision-making of NFL teams.  I don't.  I have seen too many Pro Bowlers and All Pros who were cut by one team only to make it big on another team.  Could Rosen be a bust?  Sure.  I just don't think we have seen enough to say he is a bust right now.  I see a guy who was put in some bad situations that was unable to overcome them.

As I always say, we'll see what happens.  If you are right and he is already a bust, then he will never be a quality starter in this league.  However, if he ends up being a quality starter for a number of years in this league then he will obviously not be a bust.  

How in any world can you not consider him a bust? 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Why?   He isnt franchise QB talent, and he isnt really better than most backups.

I wouldnt necessarily care if we signed him, but at this point, I view him on a similar level as our 2 current backups.    

This brings up an interesting question.

How many of you would feel comfortable with Rosen replacing your current teams #2 QB?

Rosen not being picked up by all the teams doesn’t necessarily mean he’s worse than all 64 or so QBs. For teams that only carry two backups, they’re less likely to bring in a guy like Rosen - who’s going to have to learn the whole offense and get acclimated to the coaches - instead of keeping their own players. Some teams like having the vets, especially if they have a young QB. If he were hypothetically a FA at the start of this past league year, I bet his market wouldn’t have been so cool.

That said, he’s undoubtedly a bust at this moment and being shown the door from two franchises in two seasons, with that draft pedigree, is very telling. We can all talk about how bad the Dolphins were last season but Fitzpatrick has them looking like an NFL team at least. Rosen however was looking even worse than he did in the year prior. 

5 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This brings up an interesting question.

How many of you would feel comfortable with Rosen replacing your current teams #2 QB?

I would have taken him over cj beathard as niners third qb with the potential to groom him to replace Mullens next year as the backup when Mullens is on his RFA tag. 

I'm surprised to see they couldn't even get something like a 6th/7th rounder for him to be honest. It's looking like he may be a hard bust by now, but ifi recall coming out he had a lot of comparisons to Rodgers - including that he night be best served sitting for a while behind someone rather than thrown straight in. 

I think Rosen to the Bucs is a great move for everyone.

Rosen has been put in awful positions by two franchises, plain and simple.  He needs more stability and, as he’s clearly not ready, a chance to sit and learn.

That said, there’s a reason he was drafted where he was and is more talented than you’d normally find after TC cuts.  Let him sit and learn behind Brady and see if he can put some things together.

• Like 1