Rack's 2021 Mock Draft - 2nd and 3rd round mock now posted

rackcs

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I think Humphrey would be a head scratcher that early, but let's go with it.  But in the second, they cure the ills by going Cosmi for RT, and Humphrey to RG.  At least that addresses the horrid line.  My preference would be Sewell, but he's put of range in this.  You should watch our line if you think we finish that far back in the order.

Plus, we just drafted Higgins to be Green's long term replacement

If you looked, the order is based on current standings, not any sort of projection. Also why is Humphrey a head scratcher? It's a very slight reach but he can easily slot into any position on that interior OL. His range right now is around 10-15 so picking him at 8 isn't that bad at all. I definite considered doubling up on OL in the second round but figured getting another playmaker would be nice.These days you really need 3 good WRs for most offenses.

Edited by rackcs

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

YEs. I think they'd trade down for more picks.

Always an option. I just feel like it's short sighted to pass on a guy like Lawrence because you have a QB when that QB is 35.

11 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Interesting Vikings pick, I could see them going Lance as a prospect to learn behind Cousins for a year (some of what to do and some of what not to do) before starting as Cousins contract can't be gotten out of immediately, but it's really hard to pass on Fields.

I personally like Fields more than Lance but the consensus that I've been seeing lately has been having Lance higher. I try to mostly follow the consensus that I see on players when I do my mocks.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Always an option. I just feel like it's short sighted to pass on a guy like Lawrence because you have a QB when that QB is 35.

I personally like Fields more than Lance but the consensus that I've been seeing lately has been having Lance higher. I try to mostly follow the consensus that I see on players when I do my mocks.

I think it's dumb to draft a QB when your QB is signed for 4 more years after this one on a contract that you can't get rid of and he's still performing well. You're better off going best defensive player on the board. At any level. Falcons honestly need a true pass rusher. Getting a guy who can be that John Abraham type dude would be more impactful in the long and short term than taking Lawrence would be.

16 hours ago, rackcs said:

If you looked, the order is based on current standings, not any sort of projection. Also why is Humphrey a head scratcher? It's a very slight reach but he can easily slot into any position on that interior OL. His range right now is around 10-15 so picking him at 8 isn't that bad at all. I definite considered doubling up on OL in the second round but figured getting another playmaker would be nice.These days you really need 3 good WRs for most offenses.

I mentioned Humphries as a head scratcher only because our C is about average.  I have to think a top OT is in play no matter where we pick.  Our line is a wreck, so my point was that we might win three games this year, that's all (not arguing where they are right now).

We have Boyd and Higgins, plus Tate moving forward.  If we move on from Ross and Green, yeah we need a playmaker.

25 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I mentioned Humphries as a head scratcher only because our C is about average.  I have to think a top OT is in play no matter where we pick.  Our line is a wreck, so my point was that we might win three games this year, that's all (not arguing where they are right now).

We have Boyd and Higgins, plus Tate moving forward.  If we move on from Ross and Green, yeah we need a playmaker.

I see what you mean. As for Humphrey, he was the best OL available and I mentioned how I think you could play him at OG now with a potential move to C somewhere in the future if you move on from Hopkins. Kinda similar to Cesar Ruiz in New Orleans. As for the second round, I definitely agree about OT being in play. There's a lot of depth there in that range so I thought you could wait till the 3rd but in the next one I'll likely double up on OL. 

• Like 1

Good first pick for the Bucs. You can never have too many pass rushers. It'd be nice to collect them now and develop them while we have guys there now. As for the 2nd round, OL (I can't believe I'm even saying this) isn't really a desperate need for us. But, we have the luxury of using our picks on BPA regardless of position. Though Jensen is playing lights out so he'd probably compete with Cappa for right guard, though he's playing well too. I'd be happy with these picks, especially as more developmental guys.

13. Detroit Lions: Marvin Wilson, INT, Florida State
Wilson has fringe top-10 talent so he's going to be a nice addition to the Lions defense. The Lions have holes all over their defense but perhaps the biggest one seems to be at the INT position. Wilson brings power to that DL and should be a force in the middle.

12. Detroit Lions: Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
Drafting Cosmi to play RT would be a smart move for the Lions as it would allow him to play to his strengths. It would also allow them to move Halapoulivaati inside where I think he'd be a better fit as well.

Love the first round pick. The Defensive Line needs pieces and Wilson is a nice fit at NT.

Cosmi is a bit of a different one for me right now. We just invested a lot of money into Vaitai and this weekend he played at RG. Things did not go that great and my guess is they'll be looking to play him more at RT. We have Tyrell Crosby as the swing tackle and he's been ok to good. He's not the long term solution but a decent fill in. We also just drafted two IOL guys in Jonah Jackson and Logan Stenberg. They're going to want to get both of these guys into the mix moving forward. There are bigger and more pressing issues for this team IMO.

- WR: Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola are both on the last year of their contracts. Even if one of those guys winds up coming back next season, the Lions are going to need to find another guy to play opposite of Kenny G long term. Cephus is showing some potential upside but for a team with a QB like Stafford, we should be stocking the cupboard with high floor players

- LB: Jarrad Davis is likely not going to be a Lion after the end of this season. Tavai has not been a good player at all for us the past 3 weeks. Christian Jones and Jamie Collins are both getting up there. This defense needs a major upgrade in the LB corp. 

Adding a stout NT and a competent LB to a group with Trey Flowers, a healthy Da'Shawn Hand and Jeff Okudah in year 2 gives you foundational pieces for a solid defense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Love the first round pick. The Defensive Line needs pieces and Wilson is a nice fit at NT.

Cosmi is a bit of a different one for me right now. We just invested a lot of money into Vaitai and this weekend he played at RG. Things did not go that great and my guess is they'll be looking to play him more at RT. We have Tyrell Crosby as the swing tackle and he's been ok to good. He's not the long term solution but a decent fill in. We also just drafted two IOL guys in Jonah Jackson and Logan Stenberg. They're going to want to get both of these guys into the mix moving forward. There are bigger and more pressing issues for this team IMO.

- WR: Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola are both on the last year of their contracts. Even if one of those guys winds up coming back next season, the Lions are going to need to find another guy to play opposite of Kenny G long term. Cephus is showing some potential upside but for a team with a QB like Stafford, we should be stocking the cupboard with high floor players

- LB: Jarrad Davis is likely not going to be a Lion after the end of this season. Tavai has not been a good player at all for us the past 3 weeks. Christian Jones and Jamie Collins are both getting up there. This defense needs a major upgrade in the LB corp. 

Adding a stout NT and a competent LB to a group with Trey Flowers, a healthy Da'Shawn Hand and Jeff Okudah in year 2 gives you foundational pieces for a solid defense. 

Fair points, I'll keep that in mind for the next mock.

I have no problem taking Lawrence at 1 as ryan is getting older and where as i think he does have some solid years left in him he's not going to last forever and we might not be in this same situation to get a elite prospect QB again like Lawrence.   We do the same thing the Packers did with Rodgers and let him learn the playbook for a year or 2 and when Ryans contract goes to run out or gets low enough to trade him we pull the trigger and are off to the races for another 15+ years.  Plus it helps get our cap situation back under control moving forward.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If you do look to add the LB position, it's the Lions MO to add guys who are 240 - 250+. They seem to be pretty particular on some of these things or at least for starting roles.

Well I do expect a new regime to be in place so maybe things will be different but I'll keep that in mind until a change is made.