Rasul Douglas' future position

Jlash

I don't think we can keep this kid at corner once our secondary gets healthy. Yesterday Keenan Allen was running right past him, and Keenan Allen isn't a guy who runs past people. I think he needs to be considered at strong safety at some point. Assuming Sidney Jones and Ronald Darby come back to health and are our starting outside CB's, I don't think Douglas has a spot there anymore.

He was getting burnt. He’s a bigger guy and we drafted him for his size not speed. Problem is... he can’t keep up, at least not yesterday. Without Cox the pass rush was weaker which allowed longer developing pass plays. That’s when they started picking on Rasul.

I think he’ll stay at CB until the depth issues are solved. I can see him moving to safety at some point.

52 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I think it's a little early to start this talk but I do agree that he looked like **** yesterday and got toasted for the entire game. 

The questions on him coming out were if he could run with players in this league. He ran with Brandon Marshall down the field last week, but I think we can all agree that he looks finished as a player. Allen isn't a speed guy, but he sure looked like a speed guy going head to head with Douglas. He's a guy who may work out in a zone where he's not charged with staying hip to hip with someone, but that's not how this defense works.

He's got a nose for the ball, which is why I think he may have a better shot playing safety down the line.

I think next year we move him to the slot and see how he does there. He doesn't have the top end speed needed to play outside, but in the slot he shouldn't need to be running down field nearly as often. He has great instincts and seems to have decent quickness, so I think he can function there. If not, then we move him to safety and let him make plays.

The problem is we need him outside this year, so there isn't much that can be done about it right now. Once we get Darby back and Jones comes in after his injury, we will have a lot more freedom to move players around at that position.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The problem is we need him outside this year

Exactly, that's why I titled it 'future' position. We have no choice right now.

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

but in the slot he shouldn't need to be running down field nearly as often. He has great instincts and seems to have decent quickness,

I just see him trying to follow Cole Beasley, Jamison Crowder and Sterling Shepherd around and I don't like it.

Really a career like Rasul's  is won and lost by how he adapts in the rest of his game by not being able to win with speed. There are examples of good CB's that aren't super fast, but they win with film study, technique and being physical. 

That is where he needs time to develop and where he can get better over time. Sure he isn't going to get faster. That is a fact but he can learn and improve the rest of his game. So the long-winded answer is, it is too early to really be having this conversation. 

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Really a career like Rasul's  is won and lost by how he adapts in the rest of his game by not being able to win with speed. There are examples of good CB's that aren't super fast, but they win with film study, technique and being physical. 

True. But for every Richard Sherman and Josh Norman there are a dozen Stanley Jean-Baptiste's and Keith McGill's. Just gotta hope he figures it out.

Just now, Jlash said:

True. But for every Richard Sherman and Josh Norman there are a dozen Stanley Jean-Baptiste's and Keith McGill's. Just gotta hope he figures it out.

Agreed. Which direction he goes is still TBD. But after like 2 games is not really the time to declare that outside CB can't/won't be his future position.

22 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Agreed. Which direction he goes is still TBD. But after like 2 games is not really the time to declare that outside CB can't/won't be his future position.

we should also definitely fire our coach after a 3-1 start.

GO EAGLES

5 minutes ago, ianlewis16 said:

we should also definitely fire our coach after a 3-1 start.

GO EAGLES

That’s a distinct privilege of being an Eagles fan. We could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl and we’d have half the fan base be like “yeah but did you see Carson’s footwork?” “I don’t know why we didn’t use Smallwood on that third and 4” “settled for too many field goals imo”

5 minutes ago, Phire said:

That’s a distinct privilege of being an Eagles fan. We could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl and we’d have half the fan base be like “yeah but did you see Carson’s footwork?” “I don’t know why we didn’t use Smallwood on that third and 4” “settled for too many field goals imo”

I would actually ADORE if those threads popped up a day after winning it all. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

This is fair, but I think most people thought he would never work on the outside before he played even a single game, so the doubts make sense. If he can become more physical, sharpen his technique, and improve his instincts he will be able to start outside long term. I just don't see that happening.

His biggest asset is being able to be a playmaker who loves to be around the ball, projecting someone like that to play safety isn't really a knock on him, just that his skillset might be best used elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

I just see him trying to follow Cole Beasley, Jamison Crowder and Sterling Shepherd around and I don't like it.

I think he can manage. He isn't slow, he just lacks top end speed. The only thing I really worry about with him in the slot is he seems to be struggle with double moves right now, but he is a rookie so he will improve.

Not worried about it to much. Rookie CB getting abused by one of the better Route runners in the NFL? To be expected! Let's not get caught up in 40 times as the tell tell sign for success in the NFL as a CB or WR.

Footwork ,Technique and Football IQ is what matters most. Whether he has that, gets that, continues to grow with that remains to be seen.

Why don't they put Douglas up on receivers so he can jam the crap out of them? He's a big dude.

I think we should start doing that more. Have the safeties play over the top while Douglas and Mills try to throw off the timing of the opposing offense by getting their hands on receivers.

Archived