Today: Cut-down Day ....

KC_Guy

I am also surprised they kept 4 TE. I would have thought they would keep Fortson over a 4th TE, potentially over a 3rd.

Kemp is a ST ace, so no real surprise.  What is surprising is that there is no obvious PR except Hardman. 

I suspect Durant would not have cleared waivers. I think they like him quite a bit at OG, though not soon. I am a bit surprised they kept both Allegretti and Kilgore. 

I am surprised which D Harris we kept. Not really surprised about Speaks. He and Taco ware too a lot alike, but Taco is better. 

Nice Call on Wharton. Who posted that last week? He was very emphatic, so it's good he was right. 

I am a bit surprised that A Watts is still with us. He's not the most athletic DB and he can give up big plays.

Christmas came early for Toub. This ST crew will be stacked. Maybe we can let Sorensen concentrate on three downs. 

J

I've got some free time, so I'll add some thoughts.

QB: No surprise here. I think we'll try to get Moore and Ta'amu on the PS.

RB: Little surprised we kept Thompson over Washington. I wouldn't be surprised if we try to upgrade through waivers or FA. I'd honestly consider Adrian Peterson over Thompson if he signed for cheap to play in a rotation.

WR: No surprises. I'm hoping Fortson and Lipscomb both make it to the PS.

TE: Four is too many. I would have rather kept Fortson and dropped Yelder.

OL: Again, no big surprises. I think Barton, Senat, and Williams are PS candidates.

DT: Easiest to predict imo

DE: Six is a lot, but I imagine some will get some snaps at DT. I'm a little surprised we cut Speaks. I think he'd be better than Danna in this system. I'm hoping he goes on the PS.

LB: I'm surprised DOD made the cut. I'm assuming it's mostly for ST. I imagine we won't be playing much base defense, so five LB should be good. I still think Dana could play Sam.

CB: Really hoping that Hill makes it to the PS.

S: No surprises.

The theme of the year is continuity. We have it and it should be a major advantage, especially early in the season.

I know the Chiefs wanted to draft Danna last year, out of Central Michigan. He's a Justin Houston type, squat with a lot of explosion. Obviously, he's playing 4-3 DE instead of 3-4 OLB.

In any event, he seems to have impressed quite a bit in camp. There is no surprise he made the team, even with the raft of players at DE.

Initial practice squad chosen. Several of these players were UDFA signed right after the draft. Of the 15, almost half are WR or DB. Breeland Speaks is not on the list.

DB Rodney Clemons
LB Omari Cobb
WR Gehrig Dieter
WR Maurice Ffrench
WR Jody Fortson
LB Darius Harris
DB Lavert Hill
DT Braxton Hoyett
DB Chris Lammons
WR Kalija Lipscomb
QB Matt Moore
QB Jordan Ta’amu
RB DeAndre Washington
DE Tim Ward
C Darryl Williams

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Initial practice squad chosen. Several of these players were UDFA signed right after the draft. Of the 15, almost half are WR or DB. Breeland Speaks is not on the list.

DB Rodney Clemons
LB Omari Cobb
WR Gehrig Dieter
WR Maurice Ffrench
WR Jody Fortson
LB Darius Harris
DB Lavert Hill
DT Braxton Hoyett
DB Chris Lammons
WR Kalija Lipscomb
QB Matt Moore
QB Jordan Ta’amu
RB DeAndre Washington
DE Tim Ward
C Darryl Williams

J

Glad to see Fortson, Moore, and Ta'amu make it. I feel relatively little about most of the rest.

There is one slot open. They may be holding it for Speaks.

I think it's smart having Moore on PS. Ta'amu is obviously the one to run scout squad, but Moore will be available on short notice.

Since there is only one OL, I think Yasir Durant would not have cleared waivers. He should make a very good OG but he played T at Mizzou and needs to learn a new position. 

Of the rest, Dieter, Ward and Harris played for the Chiefs last season. Ffrench and Lipscomb are potential PR in addition to WR. Clemons (S) and Hill (CB) were UDFA with a draftable grade. Darryl Williams can play all three IOL. He was a multi-year starter in the SEC, at Mississippi State. Cobb and Hoyett were also UDFA. I have nothing on Lammons.

J

I’m guessing they are leaving one spot open until they figure out the TE spot.  Don’t see us rolling with 4 all year,   Keizer gets his chance to week 1.  If they like what they see I think they try to get Yelder back to the PS.  

Very odd there’s only 1 OL though,  NY snatching up Barton may have thrown a wrench in their plans. 

Glad to see Ward and Harris back,  I like both of them.  Lammons was on the PS last year, don’t know a whole lot about him though.   As was Hoyett, he is a decent 3T guy but doubt either of the last 2 ever make a 53 with us. 

Spags giving(Turk)Wharton and Danna high praise: 

“Mike Danna [was] another pleasant surprise. Those two guys — talking about Turk and Mike — listen, for guys that have not been in the NFL very long, they sure operate like true pros. The learned it somewhere along the way. We noticed it in those Zoom meetings. I remember (defensive line) coach (Brendan) Daly talking about both of those guys specifically — how much he was looking forward to working with them, because in these meetings like [we’re] doing right now, he was thoroughly impressed. Those two guys have just continually impressed the coaches.”

Edited by Chiefer