Texans Extend Watson

HTTRDynasty

27 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Who cares?   He couldn't take down Mahomes and take Houston to the AFC title game.  There's a lot of teams just get into the playoffs by slipping through the cracks.  Houston's part of a terrible division.  Tennessee's good, but probably would have even led the South last year if they didn't have to go through a QB transition.  

Ok and again I’ll ask, what should the Texans have done. You just said Mahomes is a QB prodigy yet since Watson loss to him he’s undeserving of the contract he got? So if he did beat Mahomes would Mahomes be undeserving of his contract?

31 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Don't really understand what you're trying to explain here, but ok.  

Steve McNair has always been my comparison for Watson since his Clemson days. Look at McNair stats compared to other guys during his playing days and you’ll be left unimpressed. But the stats will never justify the leadership and toughness he provided for the team. Or how he converted huge first down with his scrambling ability on critical 3rd down. Or how his escapability led would be sacks into big plays downfield. Same exact thing with Watson. The play in OT that led to the win against the Bills is the perfect example of that. TD/INT ratio doesn’t and won’t tell the story for him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Overrated player on a very talented offense. Osweiller, Hoyer, and Fitzpatrick can QB the Texans to 9-7.

... what? Really?

The Texans went 9-7 with those QBs because the AFCS was a disaster in those years. Had nothing to do with the QB those years.

55 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The importance of cap space is about on the level day 3 draft picks. People obsess over if way too much for it not really affecting things. What does affect things? Having a young star QB does.

People don't get this. This is Monopoly money - in what world can you give someone an advance on their salary (in the form of restructuring a signing bonus) and pay them $5mm up front, and REDUCE their cap hit for that year? 

Money will be there over the next few years. Guys like Brandin Cooks, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Berdnardrick McKinney - they're here for the next 2-3 years, tops. Chances are that JJ Watt retires in that space as well. So the cap isn't going to be an issue...

...the issue is a lack of picks in next years' draft to replace that talent. I'll be the first to admit that, Watson is going to have one year in these next six years that won't have a premium pick helping him out. 

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:
11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

He wants to win. With the money he's getting from endorsements, he can afford to take less money so others can get paid.

Weird. That's not Mahomes' problem, but good on the Chiefs for taking advantage. 

Its what Tom did and the Patriots won 6 so precedent...

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Bingo. Could Mahomes jammed the Chiefs cap for an extra few million per? Of course, but in the grand scheme of things he signed a half a BILLION dollar contract lol AND will get to keep competing for Chips. 

As for the thread, good on the Texans for getting this deal done. Love me some Watson!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

And other players have probably done the same and failed a single championship. 

The Patriots won 6 rings because Brady and Belichick are who they are on the field and in team meetings. Not because Tom decided to do the Patriots a solid financially. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

14 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

And other players have probably done the same and failed a single championship. 

The Patriots won 6 rings because Brady and Belichick are who they are on the field and in team meetings. Not because Tom decided to do the Patriots a solid financially. 

If you dont think it factored in you are delusional. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

If you dont think it factored in you are delusional. 

Tim McDonald used to do the same thing for the 49ers for years and years, restructuring his deal to help the team get other player signed. He has one ring. 

Not saying it didn't help, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to other factors determining the team's success over the past 20 years. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

7 years as opposed to 20 at a position that doesn't cost nearly as much as QB. 

And at that rate McDonald should still have at least another ring because he helped the team financially. A safety doesn't cost as much as a QB, yet he was still restructuring his deal a ton of times to help the team sign other players. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

And at that rate McDonald should still have at least another ring because he helped the team financially. A safety doesn't cost as much as a QB, yet he was still restructuring his deal a ton of times to "help".

I can't believe you think a SS is as important as a QB. Him restructuring his deal helps by what? a few million? As opposed to tens of millions? thats 10 times less helpful. TEN TIMES. Besides the fact that his contribution to the team is also exponential less important than Brady or Mahomes. If you honestly thinks this scenario is comparable to Brady or Mahomes.... I need the number of your drug dealer. 

19 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Watson is maybe the best QB any Houston team has ever had. Warren Moon has the body of work, but already I think it's neck and neck between the two. 

This might be true. Coming out of Clemson, I compared Watson to McNabb(and sometimes when stating that Texans fans thought I was downing him, because apparently being a top 10 franchise QB for a decade + is a negative thing????) but I think Watson might already be better than McNabb ever was. He seems well on his way to Warren Moon-level status, if not even better.

He's fun to watch, when he's not terrorizing us anyway.

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I can't believe you think a SS is as important as a QB. Him restructuring his deal helps by what? a few million? As opposed to tens of millions? thats 10 times less helpful. TEN TIMES. Besides the fact that his contribution to the team is also exponential less important than Brady or Mahomes. If you honestly thinks this scenario is comparable to Brady or Mahomes.... I need the number of your drug dealer. 

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth like you're putting artificial facts in your head.

McDonald wasn't the only one during that era. A few guys did it on the 49ers including Steve Young (there is your QB example), and Merton Hanks. They all won a single ring together. 

Compartmentalizing a season of hundreds of snaps between many players, having injuries, team meetings, and then determining the elixir for success = well, the team has 6 rings and it's all due to him restructuring his deal is lunacy. Not saying Tom doing the team a solid hasn't helped, but you're overemphasizing by leaps and bounds. Tom isn't the first high profile QB to do this, and won't be the last. It doesn't supersede the other contributions the Patriots have invested into winning. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth like you're putting artificial facts in your head.

McDonald wasn't the only one during that era. A few guys did it on the 49ers including Steve Young (there is your QB example), and Merton Hanks. They all won a single ring together. 

Compartmentalizing a season of hundreds of snaps between many players, having injuries, team meetings, and then determining the elixir for success = well, the team has 6 rings and it's all due to him restructuring his deal is lunacy. Not saying Tom doing the team a solid hasn't helped, but you're overemphasizing by leaps and bounds. Tom isn't the first high profile QB to do this, and won't be the last. It doesn't supersede the other contributions the Patriots have invested into winning. 

Seems like you are the one overemphasizing. I said there is precedent, that it factored in, and that it was more help than the SS example that you offered up as proof that it didnt. I never said it was the main reason they won or the even an important reason, only that it helped. Besides, its not all about the SB wins, its also 19 straight winning seasons.

29 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

This might be true. Coming out of Clemson, I compared Watson to McNabb(and sometimes when stating that Texans fans thought I was downing him, because apparently being a top 10 franchise QB for a decade + is a negative thing????) but I think Watson might already be better than McNabb ever was. He seems well on his way to Warren Moon-level status, if not even better.

He's fun to watch, when he's not terrorizing us anyway.

I think he's moved passed McNabb. To be fair, McNabb didn't have any quality receivers his first 5 seasons. He did have Andy Reid though. Watson has Bill O'Brien.