How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

Don't want to rile everyone up, but it seems to be surfacing with the recent Randall cut and now Bowden being traded.

What are your thoughts on his tenure?

I think these recent blips have shown us that he's not immune to mistakes. But he's also very honest with the state of the roster. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses than to ride with project draft picks who will only depreciate in value.

Or acknowledge a lack of speed at LB (cough cough JDR Reggie).

Not great, bob!

In a vacuum, nothing wrong with cutting your losses. But when the first mistake was so recent and (imo) obvious, doesnt make me feel much better.

Got off to a rough start with Ferrell (was a reach, and underperformed). His free agent pickups have been pretty poor, too. Tyrell Williams, LaMarcus Joyner, Antonio Brown (trade). I'm not even convinced Trent Brown was a great signing. He was being paid to be elite but really he was good not great, has missed time, and has missed most of camp already. The Mariota signing was expensive at the time and has only looked worse. Randall/Prince didn't even make the team. Jury still out on guys like Nassib, Littleton, Kwiatkoski, obviousy.

But hey the RB he took in the first round was pretty good!

If one of Lamb/Jeudy drastically outperforms Ruggs early, that will also reflect quite poorly. And there will be a lot of pressure for Muse to be an impact player by 2021

Edited by Turnobili

To be fair i was told i was overreacting when i was upset with the Bowden pick at the time. 

Sure we should be patient and wait and see but isn’t the point of these forums for us to share our opinions in real time? Otherwise we’d just stay quiet and wait until we can see box scores in a few months 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

To be fair i was told i was overreacting when i was upset with the Bowden pick at the time. 

Sure we should be patient and wait and see but isn’t the point of these forums for us to share our opinions in real time? Otherwise we’d just stay quiet and wait until we can see box scores in a few months 

I definitely have views of these guys are prospects. It's too easy to get too reactionary in either direction in the moment though.

Like I hated the Arnette pick initially because I thought his 40 was slow. But that was my bad. When I watched him more (not knee jerk), I was like woah I actually like this guy. He's tough as nails and can cover by every metric you pull.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I definitely have views of these guys are prospects. It's too easy to get too reactionary in either direction in the moment though.

Like I hated the Arnette pick initially because I thought his 40 was slow. But that was my bad. When I watched him more (not knee jerk), I was like woah I actually like this guy. He's tough as nails and can cover by every metric you pull.

How much is that you talking yourself into liking a pick because that’s the hand we as fans have been dealt?

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

That’s this board.... anytime you question anything “your overreacting”. The standard line is “don’t worry everything will be ok / what makes you think you know better”.

it doesn’t take a genuis to know drafting a slot WR turned basically option QB in the 3rd to play RB wasn’t the most prudent move.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I don’t mind the Randall move at all. The Bowden trade I don’t get at all. We knew when why drafted him he was a gadget player, and would take time to devolve to be a true rb. We didn’t give him any time 

I think we realize Bowden wasn’t leaving that street life and knew the outcome of that so we cut bait.

• Like 1

Not good, if we're being purely objective. 

His "good" moves have been drafting Jacobs, Crosby, Renfrow, and signing Incognito and T Brown.

His moves TBD are Ruggs, Arnette, Edwards, Mullen, and Abram who we all seem to be in agreement that they have a lot of unseen potential. 

His "bad" moves include the Brown trade, reaching for Ferrell, signing Williams, Joyner, and the rest of 2019 FA's not named Trent Brown and Richie Incognito, the Mariota contract, Randall, Amukamara, drafting Bowden and then the trade, Muse, and generally not addressing our biggest needs while blowing money and draft capital on replacement level talent and bad gambles. 

I'd say that to date, his screw ups have mostly been ones a lot of us saw from miles away and have arguably set us back farther than his good moves have put us forward. There's a chance things rebound, but I'm not giving a ton of credit for hopes and projections. Right now, it's been mostly bad in a costly way.

5 hours ago, Turnobili said:

How much is that you talking yourself into liking a pick because that’s the hand we as fans have been dealt?

I liked Arnette a lot but thought he was drafted to early because of age and the 40 time.  He seemed a lot faster in games than his 40 time showed.  There were a few around here that felt the same and were okay with taking him in the early to mid second.  If his forty time was accurate I would have been good taking him in the late 1st but I did not find out about the botched forty time until after the draft.  He does grab a lot so expect to see a few penalties while he is adjusting.  Preseason would have helped him a lot in that area.

Its still early to tell to be honest. There have been some very good signs but I think the concern is that the mistakes have mostly been fairly obvious and we as fans have spotted them immediately - such as the Bowden pick, the Brown fiasco, Joyner handling, a few out if whack contracts etc.

Overall, so far he's been quite good, found value in the mid ranges of the draft like Crosby, Robertson, Edwards but ultimately its what you do with 1st and 2nd rounders that make or break a GM. Ferrell will have a huge bearing if he doesn't develop as he's the poster boy for Mayock's debut draft class.

Antonio Brown was obviously a high profile failure of a FA signing but Mayock handled the circus very well and with professionalism and knew when to fold before it got out of hand, same seems to be true of the Bowden pick and that takes guts and honesty, admirable traits. FA has been very hit and miss and but that's the case with most GMs, maybe he's not quite as good as Reggie with the contract specifics and for every Incognito there's been a Randall. Trent Brown is his biggest ticket and I'm a little concerned that something is not right with his health, that has to be worked out. He recognised the obvious deficiencies at LB and addressed those and our OL is a foundation unit. DL us a work in progress but the DBs look promising. 

It is simply too early on drafting but ultimately when all said and done the win/loss record has to improve. Gruden and Mayock took over a team that was 6-10 and one year removed from 12-4 and the playoffs. We have had 3 drafts, 3 FA periods (I know Mayock has only had two but he'll be tied to Gruden like it or not) but we simply must start putting up a winning record, if we finish 6-10 or 7-9 then the real time performance is no actual improvement. Potential means nothing unless it turns into tangible results, it's why I've been quite vociferous that we simply have to make the playoffs this year, that is the bare minimum in my book for Mark Davis' investments.

• Like 1