How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

11 minutes ago, roi34 said:

most rosters are comprised of UDFA surprisingly. not to say those are the key players.

Good way to find cheap depth for a few years. James, Seig, Cole, Nixon,  Ingold were all good finds last year. Doss was even a good signing even if he was cut in a numbers game. Covid-19 hit hard, right before the draft.MM and the scouts had all last year and beginning of this year to evaluate potential UDFA gems. This is an assumption, but I think MM was full of himself after the 2019 class. He thought he nailed all his 2020 picks,  so he didn’t feel the need to try to add a late pick or any priority UDFAs. 

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Good way to find cheap depth for a few years. James, Seig, Cole, Nixon,  Ingold were all good finds last year. Doss was even a good signing even if he was cut in a numbers game. Covid-19 hit hard, right before the draft.MM and the scouts had all last year and beginning of this year to evaluate potential UDFA gems. This is an assumption, but I think MM was full of himself after the 2019 class. He thought he nailed all his 2020 picks,  so he didn’t feel the need to try to add a late pick or any priority UDFAs. 

The Chargers, Patriots, and Ravens all had 13+ year streaks of an UDFA making their roster that ended this year. 

I think it's just almost impossible to get a proper evaluation on UDFA this year. You know, because of no OTA, a weird training camp, and no preseason games...

Mayock said this after the draft: 

“We didn't have any sixth- or seventh-round picks heading into this weekend, and one of our concerns was depending on what happens with the pandemic, we think there's a pretty good chance we're not going to see our rookies in person until maybe training camp,” Mayock said. “If that's the case, you better make sure your rookies are smart, hard-working and accountable because they're going to have a shortened period of time to make the team. The further down you get in the draft, the more concerns we had about a kid being able to compete, realistically compete to make the roster."

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You can definitely find some gems in UDFA. Having no OTA's, a weird training camp, and no preseason games makes it 100x more difficult to evaluate those guys though. 

can't argue that

Yeah UDFA’s are a pretty big part of most teams.  That’s why I was sooooo critical of the pathetic group we had this year.  And a lot of you acted like it was no big deal and I was over exaggerating things.

then Javin White makes 3 plays without pads on and he’s the next great LB... smh

we went into UDFA signs with only room for like 7-8 guys I believe and really did a poor job.  We spent almost all our money on Nick Bowers.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah UDFA’s are a pretty big part of most teams.  That’s why I was sooooo critical of the pathetic group we had this year.  And a lot of you acted like it was no big deal and I was over exaggerating things.

There were a number of teams that didn't have any UDFA make their roster this season. These kids got like what? 14 padded practices and zero preseason games? Tough to evaluate a kid under those circumstances. 

mayock getting killed by some with essentially one off-season and draft to judge him on so far. Most teams swing and miss on picks. 3rd rounders hurt, but at least he got a 4th back for our 3rd rounder knowing we can't get 3rd rounders right. haha

I get frustrated from some of what I'd like to see GM's go after versus what we do. but everyone was critical of lb group for last 6 years and he addressed it.

17 hours ago, roi34 said:

as in spread across the whole NFL. percent wise. not each team

There's not more UDFAs than drafted players in the NFL. The percentage of UDFA is the highest if you compare it to each round of the draft but if you add every round together, it's not. Which is logical since there's going to be roughly 320+ UDFAs each year and 40 something players max in each round.

https://overthecap.com/breaking-down-the-53-man-rosters/

The 2 teams with the most UDFAs on the roster this season have 21 which is obviously a minority on a 53 man roster.

20 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

There's not more UDFAs than drafted players in the NFL. The percentage of UDFA is the highest if you compare it to each round of the draft but if you add every round together, it's not. Which is logical since there's going to be roughly 320+ UDFAs each year and 40 something players max in each round.

https://overthecap.com/breaking-down-the-53-man-rosters/

The 2 teams with the most UDFAs on the roster this season have 21 which is obviously a minority on a 53 man roster.

yes, that's what I meant round vs round my mistake. I just didn't convey it properly. still impressive

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

I get frustrated from some of what I'd like to see GM's go after versus what we do. but everyone was critical of lb group for last 6 years and he addressed it.

We've regularly had one of the oldest and slowest back 7's in football for like a decade. Now we have Kwit, Littleton, Abram, Mullen, and Arnette in the back 7. This is only year two of a major roster rebuild, we have to be patient. 

If you look at our depth chart from the beginning of the 2018 season in comparison to now, we only have 4 of the same starters: Carr, Miller, Hudson, and Jackson. And 17 new starters across the board. 

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

3rd rounders hurt, but at least he got a 4th back for our 3rd rounder knowing we can't get 3rd rounders right. haha

That's the thing that blows though, we only had 7 picks this year and 5 of those picks were in the top 100. And we essentially wasted two of those top 100 picks by taking project players without positions in a weird offseason.

2019 Mayock went safe early rounds.

I wanted Josh Allen he went Ferrell

Jacobs I would have waited on til 2nd round. Sweat was my pick even if Allen was already picked. If Ferrell slid here it would probably be him over two 6'5 260lbs DE's who can pass rush but not stop the run.

Abram was NOT my top S. Adderly and Thornhill if I recall but there are few Safeties I'd take in the 1st round. So Jacobs here would also make sense if no trade down. I also liked WR Metcalf and CB Greedy...Speaking of Greedy

Was all over him being our CB but Mullen is the safer pick. So Mayock wanted base hits as I was swinging for the fences trying to knock it out of the park.

Mayock did GREAT later rounds and earned my trust to learn as he goes.

2020 Mayock starts to fill things out to Gruden's desired 'big picture'

We had our choice of WR's. I think keeping up with KC and Ruggs having the ability to take Carr's short passes to the house is why we didn't trade down with SF rumored to want him too. Having that threat helps his teammates get open which is the bigger picture. I think Edwards was picked in his slot because of the 'Mack optics' Jacobs, Arnette and Edwards for Mack and a 2nd. Also the cap space so one could say Trent Brown and the Mack trade looks better looking back on day. didn't feel right AT ALL with right before the season so it didn't help us in that season at all and we TANKED. Winning one extra game to lose out on Bosa made it even worse. LOL I digress

CB was a serious need and other teams saw our need. Trading down isn't getting good value and Mayock is fixing that as Reggie was known to take what he can get.

So we double dipped at WR (looked like triple dip at first) but Bowden as a McCaffery type had me hoping it would work out. Muse has a ways to go and we knew he was a project. However 3rd rounders are NOT for projects. Simpson and Amik should make up for those other two in the big picture.

So in 2021 I expect trading up to get specific pieces. Maybe trading for vets as COVID will alter the draft process evals. We need playoffs THIS YEAR under the new system and we showed enough last year that we can play and win. We also fall apart and need consistency which even our coaching staff has struggled with the whole time. Only time will tell but I expect Mayock to have learned from these two off seasons and will undoubtedly improve. He's a GM with 'upside' and a high ceiling. 😎

As I said in the other thread it's interesting to see people flipping so quickly on Mayock. We've had 16 draft picks the last two seasons, 9 of those picks are starting for us week 1, 4 of those picks are 2nd string on the depth chart, 1 of those picks is on IR, and 2 of those picks are no longer with the team. And we got a draft pick for one of the guys that isn't here (4th for Bowden) and the other guy is Bell who was a project 7th round pick transitioning from WR to DE.