How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Exactly this. As you say, one injury is bad luck but having no suitable replacement at a key position in a season such as this where injuries were likely and Covid could rule out any player at any time is simply bad planning or neglect.

We're only in year 2 of the Mayock regime and a total roster rebuild. We're not going to fill every hole or be deep at all 22 positions. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We're only in year 2 of the Mayock regime and a total roster rebuild. We're not going to fill every hole or be deep at all 22 positions. 

Nobody expects that, but depth at key positions is essential and there were numerous good, cheap options at MLB and DT to name two crucial ones. Pretty much everyone here knew that and pointed it out.   

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Nobody expects that, but depth at key positions is essential and there were numerous good, cheap options at MLB and DT to name two crucial ones. Pretty much everyone here knew that and pointed it out.   

Such as who for LB though? According to SB Nation had 9 LB's on their top 100 FA list. Kwit along with Christian Kirksey were the only two that signed for less than $10M/yr. What other LB could we have signed that would've been a good and cheap option? 

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Such as who for LB though? According to SB Nation had 9 LB's on their top 100 FA list. Kwit along with Christian Kirksey were the only two that signed for less than $10M/yr. What other LB could we have signed that would've been a good and cheap option? 

Seriously? We had about a hundred posts with various options.

How about Compton who was with us last year, was known to the staff, played well when given the chance, had the green dot in this very scheme and was signed cheap by the Titans? 

22 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Seriously? We had about a hundred posts with various options.

How about Compton who was with us last year, was known to the staff, played well when given the chance, had the green dot in this very scheme and was signed cheap by the Titans? 

Compton isn't an upgrade over McMillian though... 

Between resigning Morrow/Wilber and signing Littleton/Kwit we spent $23M this season on our LB room. And also invested a third round pick into Muse and traded a 4th round pick for McMillian. 

Edited by NYRaider

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Compton isn't an upgrade over McMillian though... 

Between resigning Morrow/Wilber and signing Littleton/Kwit we spent $23M this season on our LB room. And also invested a third round pick into Muse and traded a 4th round pick for McMillian. 

McMillian was traded for to late to be of help through the first half of the season.  We were calling for viable backups well before the season started when there were still cheap backups.  I am not saying get a starting quality player to back up every position.  Just have someone who has had time to learn the position and can provide an expectable level of play as to not be a glaring weakness opposing teams can exploit.  Signing Burfict would be perfect even if he gets a season long suspension after a few games.  Right now we just need him for a few games and if he gets suspended his contract is not guaranteed.  We have the same situation at DT but luckily no injuries.  Only players not playing up to heir contracts.  If Hankins goes down expect to see a league worst run defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

McMillian was traded for to late to be of help through the first half of the season.  We were calling for viable backups well before the season started when there were still cheap backups.  I am not saying get a starting quality player to back up every position.  Just have someone who has had time to learn the position and can provide an expectable level of play as to not be a glaring weakness opposing teams can exploit.  Signing Burfict would be perfect even if he gets a season long suspension after a few games.  Right now we just need him for a few games and if he gets suspended his contract is not guaranteed.  We have the same situation at DT but luckily no injuries.  Only players not playing up to heir contracts.  If Hankins goes down expect to see a league worst run defense.

Agree and this would be my answer. We had weeks and months of warning, knew the off season would be unique and we're scrambling around doing trades as the season starts. It's bad planning. 

I think I actually posed the question in the TC thread 'what is the plan if Crosby, Hankins and Kwiatkoski' are out with injury or Covid for any length if time?' hopefully we won't find out on the other two.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Agree and this would be my answer. We had weeks and months of warning, knew the off season would be unique and we're scrambling around doing trades as the season starts. It's bad planning. 

I think I actually posed the question in the TC thread 'what is the plan if Crosby, Hankins and Kwiatkoski' are out with injury or Covid for any length if time?' hopefully we won't find out on the other two.

But again we spent $18M on Littleton/Kwit in free agency, resigned Morrow/Lee/Wilber, and drafted Muse in the third round. During free agency Vic Tafur reported that the reason we didn't target another free agent LB was because the staff was confident in Morrow/Lee as our primary backups. Obviously Lee got hurt so we had to move on but that was in early August and we immediately replaced him by making a move for McMillian. 

I think the biggest two things that have negatively effected our depth are Lee going down so we had to trade for McMillian who isn't familiar with the system and Muse not being ready to play yet. 

You brought back Morrow in case one of Littleton/Kwit got hurt because he's an average player with experience in the system. I think McMillian will improve as the year goes on and he gets more comfortable in our defense. 

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But again we spent $18M on Littleton/Kwit in free agency, resigned Morrow/Lee/Wilber, and drafted Muse in the third round. During free agency Vic Tafur reported that the reason we didn't target another free agent LB was because the staff was confident in Morrow/Lee as our primary backups. Obviously Lee got hurt so we had to move on but that was in early August and we immediately replaced him by making a move for McMillian. 

I think the biggest two things that have negatively effected our depth are Lee going down so we had to trade for McMillian who isn't familiar with the system and Muse not being ready to play yet. 

You brought back Morrow in case one of Littleton/Kwit got hurt because he's an average player with experience in the system. I think McMillian will improve as the year goes on and he gets more comfortable in our defense. 

Not strictly true. McMillan was brought in very late so not when Lee went down at all and the specific role I'm talking about is the MLB green dot role. Compton and Burfict played that role last year. Morrow I like more than most but he's a WLB not a MLB and no-one here I would think would entrust him with the defensive calls. Seems like we should have a better option and the point we're trying to make was this was obvious months ago and suggested by lots of posters.

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

This is probably a good call, those two didn't go to plan and we probably hoped that Kwiatkoski and Littleton could play injury free until McMillan got up to speed. If that was the plan then that's fair enough but the weak point was an injury early and just our luck that's exactly what we got. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Not strictly true. McMillan was brought in very late so not when Lee went down at all and the specific role I'm talking about is the MLB green dot role. Compton and Burfict played that role last year. Morrow I like more than most but he's a WLB not a MLB and no-one here I would think would entrust him with the defensive calls. Seems like we should have a better option and the point we're trying to make was this was obvious months ago and suggested by lots of posters.

That's what we gave Cory Littleton $12M a year for. He should be able to step into the MLB role and lead the defense, play Morrow at WLB, and McMillian at SLB. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

This is probably a good call, those two didn't go to plan and we probably hoped that Kwiatkoski and Littleton could play injury free until McMillan got up to speed. If that was the plan then that's fair enough but the weak point was an injury early and just our luck that's exactly what we got. 

Joyner has also played 82% of our snaps through the first 3 games and we've played almost exclusively with 2 LBs on the field.