How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Littleton has been pretty bad this season but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Hopefully he can bounce back. 

I find it mind boggling we're (not directed at you NYRaider) talking about cutting Littleton after 3 games in a new and very different system behind a very ineffectual DL. Let's give the guy some time to acclimate and maybe give our LBs some protection by improving the DL first 😀

23 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I just thought maybe we'd move Littleton to MLB as he played ILB in the 3-4 for the Rams and played really well and continue with Morrow as the WLB but with McMillan as the SLB. I guess for continuity we kept Littleton at SLB and brought in Morrow at MLB and as you say he's got the green dot by virtue of knowing the system better I guess. 

Morrow wasn’t at MLB though, McMillan was when we had 3 Lbs, Morrow was WLB. 

Rewatching the game and certainly we looked better against the run with McMillan in the game. Problems seem to be when we’re in nickel defense with Morrow and Littleton at LB. 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Morrow wasn’t at MLB though, McMillan was when we had 3 Lbs, Morrow was WLB. 

Rewatching the game and certainly we looked better against the run with McMillan in the game. Problems seem to be when we’re in nickel defense with Morrow and Littleton at LB. 

That's a fair point, I just saw Morrow and Littleton a lot together and saw what I thought was Morrow manning the middle in the Nickel, to be honest I was probably paying more attention to the DLine rotation!

44 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That's a fair point, I just saw Morrow and Littleton a lot together and saw what I thought was Morrow manning the middle in the Nickel, to be honest I was probably paying more attention to the DLine rotation!

In nickel defense Morrow and Littleton would be manning the middle. That’s why I am confused with this talk of Littleton not playing ILB, that’s effectively what he is playing. McMillan only played 19 snaps so we played 4-3 like 27%. 

I always thought Williams was overrated in SanDiego. He was just thought of highly because he was 6’4 and was a deep threat. Mayock doing okay but this team could be so much better. Robby was there and we knew Bill O Brien is horrible. Could have hustled the Texans for Hopkins... a lot of what ifs, but the great team builders make it work 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I always thought Williams was overrated in SanDiego. He was just thought of highly because he was 6’4 and was a deep threat. Mayock doing okay but this team could be so much better. Robby was there and we knew Bill O Brien is horrible. Could have hustled the Texans for Hopkins... a lot of what ifs, but the great team builders make it work 

Williams career averages: 40 receptions, 640 yards (16.1 ypc), 5 TD

Anderson's career averages: 52 receptions, 765 yards (14.7 ypc), 5 TD 

Both are bigger guys who have made their living off of being deep threats but haven't ever been consistently high volume players. We could've traded for Hopkins but it wouldn't have made sense to pay him like $21M/yr. It was also impossible for Mayock to really predict how things would shape up. 

We traded a 3rd & 5th for AB who was an All-Pro WR but he had a mental breakdown.

We signed Williams for $11M per year who was one of the better deep threats in the league but he has been healthy for 5 games. 

We drafted Ruggs #12 but he has dealt with injuries this year.

We drafted Edwards #81 but he has dealt with injuries this year. 

If any team in the league lost their top 3 WR, their unit wouldn't look great. 

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Williams career averages: 40 receptions, 640 yards (16.1 ypc), 5 TD

Anderson's career averages: 52 receptions, 765 yards (14.7 ypc), 5 TD 

Both are bigger guys who have made their living off of being deep threats but haven't ever been consistently high volume players. We could've traded for Hopkins but it wouldn't have made sense to pay him like $21M/yr. It was also impossible for Mayock to really predict how things would shape up. 

We traded a 3rd & 5th for AB who was an All-Pro WR but he had a mental breakdown.

We signed Williams for $11M per year who was one of the better deep threats in the league but he has been healthy for 5 games. 

We drafted Ruggs #12 but he has dealt with injuries this year.

We drafted Edwards #81 but he has dealt with injuries this year. 

If any team in the league lost their top 3 WR, their unit wouldn't look great. 

That’s why Robby play has been surprised. He is playing like a legit WR1. Makes sense, guy was trapped on one of the worst ran organizations in the Jets. 😂  of course this is all hindsight talk 

• Like 1

So is it still to early to call nassib a terrible signing. We giving ferrell to the end of this year to flash before we call that a miss? How bout collins, who is having meetings with the head coach. We giving him to end of the year to. Or do they all get passes until guenther is gone. 

Honestly I use to give MM a B and think highly of him. Starting to think more along the lines of C to C- for now... 

- plays it safe with low ceiling high floor when it comes to the first rounders (Ferrell, Arnette, Abram) actually think Grudens first (Kolton) was a better pick than all those picks. Should have been drafting DL instead of DBs with first round picks. Mayock was a DB in the NFL so go figure. 

- meh free agency. I do like the attempt to overhaul LB unit with Kwit and Littleton. Doesn’t really matter when the DLine and Defensive play calling sucks.

+ Jacobs was a hit. Well worth a first - round. 

- Ab trade was bad. Feels like the Steelers hustled a rookie GM. Should have made the picks conditional. 

overall: Defense still sucks, worst DL in football, and OL is aging. Jacobs was a great cornerstone, and we still waiting for our youth at WR to develop. We had a lot of assets, I just feel we should be a lot further along. Drafting a few good mid round picks, shouldn’t make a GM. Getting depth pieces is nice, but the key is getting difference makers. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

46 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

So is it still to early to call nassib a terrible signing. We giving ferrell to the end of this year to flash before we call that a miss? How bout collins, who is having meetings with the head coach. We giving him to end of the year to. Or do they all get passes until guenther is gone. 

I think it is. If it was just Nassib underperforming then we'd have a case that he was a poor signing but as @NYRaider has pointed out, players that have shown a lot elsewhere and pkayed at a very high level elsewhere have shown very little here and especially the DL seems to be passive. I had high hopes for Nassib and like him as a player but I'd like to see what a competent DC with an aggressive scheme could produce. All our DL are vastly underperforming.