How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

33 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Haven't noticed Mayock a lot this year. Maybe thats cause of the COVID stuff but even with the prime time games cant remember them showing him on TV like they did last year. 

I assume he's in full scout mode

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's done a lot of good for the offense, but the defense is still a mess. I'll give him a pass until a new DC is hired because we all know that was a big factor.

I think he'll be aggressive and rightfully so. Hopefully he doesn't get too cute with Muse/Bowden like picks.

I really like Mayock as a person.... really value his leadership, honesty, morality, etc..... and I really like the corporate culture he’s brought.... he seem to have the foundation for success and just need the talent..... but he’s kind of made a lot of mistakes.  Im willing to chalk some of it (Ferrell over Josh Allen, etc and overdrafting Muse) to putting a high high value on the person vs the talent. And I’m willing to chalk some of it up to just acceptable mistakes as a new/newer GM.

but he’s gotta really hit big in the draft AND FA this year.  Like HAS!!!!!! to crush it.  

Im now expert and if I can tell a guy like Maleik Collins will never succeed as a good starting 3T due to his total ineptness in run defense and never be a true player impact pass rusher due to his lack of length and range..... Mayock should be able too too!  Everyone knew Muse was drafted far to high.  Etc etc.

I still have confidence in Mayock but he needs to bring in some serious talent on defense, purge the mistakes off the roster, and show good long term fiscal planning that will allow us to extend guys like Kolton Miller.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I really like Mayock as a person.... really value his leadership, honesty, morality, etc..... and I really like the corporate culture he’s brought.... he seem to have the foundation for success and just need the talent..... but he’s kind of made a lot of mistakes.  Im willing to chalk some of it (Ferrell over Josh Allen, etc and overdrafting Muse) to putting a high high value on the person vs the talent. And I’m willing to chalk some of it up to just acceptable mistakes as a new/newer GM.

but he’s gotta really hit big in the draft AND FA this year.  Like HAS!!!!!! to crush it.  

Im now expert and if I can tell a guy like Maleik Collins will never succeed as a good starting 3T due to his total ineptness in run defense and never be a true player impact pass rusher due to his lack of length and range..... Mayock should be able too too!  Everyone knew Muse was drafted far to high.  Etc etc.

I still have confidence in Mayock but he needs to bring in some serious talent on defense, purge the mistakes off the roster, and show good long term fiscal planning that will allow us to extend guys like Kolton Miller.

I mean you hit and miss on free agents. I thought Collins would be good because he put up a ton of pressures in Dallas, but has been basically invisible here.

I agree with the sentiment Mayock needs to crush the upcoming draft and free agency. His free agency’s have been pretty bad for the most part... and draft full of reaches. Ferrell at 4... at least a 10 pick reach. Arnette at 19, the measurables of a nickel corner, and probably a full 25 pick reach. Arnette in all likelihood goes in the Mid 2nd. Abram at 27 last year, when almost nobody had a 1st Round Grade or even an Early 2nd on him. Only person with a 1st on him was Daniel Jeremiah, and he’s pretty horrid with Safety’s. 

Too early to call anyone a fail yet, this will be a make or break season for Ferrell and Abram upcoming in 2021. However, I think we can all agree that Ferrell and Abram have been pretty lackluster so far, and the reaches did not work (reaches rarely ever do). 

Mayock has to step up bigggg time in 2021. I feel he’s on the hot seat even more than Gruden. 

Gruden was given the keys to the franchise. He has the final say. Why are we pretending that Mayock has final say in who they are drafting?

I've watched Mayock for years and guys like Ferrell, Arnette and Abram don't seem like guys he'd have pounded the table for. 

Feels more like guys Grunden/Guenther liked and Gruden wanted to give Guenther his players. Same as he did with Kolton Miller and Tom Cable. 

IMO, Mayock isn't long for the position. He'll get tired of being a glorified scout for Gruden.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2021 at 6:44 AM, big_palooka said:

Feels more like guys Grunden/Guenther liked and Gruden wanted to give Guenther his players. 

100%. "But he fits the scheme" has to be my least favorite saying of all time. Like what was so great about Guenther's scheme? In Cincinnati he rode the coattails of Lewis/Zimmer and their defense progressively got worse every year after he replaced Zimmer at DC despite having the same personnel. 

On 1/1/2021 at 1:28 AM, BayRaider said:

I agree with the sentiment Mayock needs to crush the upcoming draft and free agency. His free agency’s have been pretty bad for the most part... and draft full of reaches. 

That's one of my biggest issues with Mayock, 3/5 of the guys he selected in the 1st round all had serious limitations. Ferrell at #4 was a huge reach as he never looked like a guy with the bend or athleticism to be a good pass rusher in the NFL and we didn't even get testing numbers for him because he didn't participate at the combine. Abram at #27 was a huge reach as a guy that had major holes in his game that every analyst and draft website highlighted, as a guy who was more of a small LB/strictly in the box player. And Arnette at #19 was a huge reach as a guy that had limited measurable's from a H/W/S viewpoint and didn't project as a guy that could ever be a #1 outside CB. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's one of my biggest issues with Mayock, 3/5 of the guys he selected in the 1st round all had serious limitations. Ferrell at #4 was a huge reach as he never looked like a guy with the bend or athleticism to be a good pass rusher in the NFL and we didn't even get testing numbers for him because he didn't participate at the combine. Abram at #27 was a huge reach as a guy that had major holes in his game that every analyst and draft website highlighted, as a guy who was more of a small LB/strictly in the box player. And Arnette at #19 was a huge reach as a guy that had limited measurable's from a H/W/S viewpoint and didn't project as a guy that could ever be a #1 outside CB. 

Again... Gruden is picking these guys. Anyone who thinks otherwise is absolving Gruden of responsibility. He has 100% autonomy over the roster. Davis gave him the keys to the franchise. 

Mayock is here to scout, make suggestions and maybe gets say in later rounds. Mayock simply does not pick Ferrell 4 overall. That is all Gruden picking for Guenther. Same with Arnette who Guenther reportedly liked and thought could help the defense immediately. 

The guys the Raiders have picked don't look like the guys Mayock would have loved if he was still on TV doing draft coverage. A DE with no explosive traits? A safety who struggles in coverage? I don't see it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dont know why Raiders fans keep giving Mayock a pass.  With 5 (!!) first round picks in two years and a mountain of cap space we have very little to show for it.

Agree with above posters who question how much say Mayock actually has.  Still, he's the GM and is ultimately responsible for player acquisition.  If he can't reign in Gruden at all then that's on him.

Incredibly disappointing tenure so far for the Mayock/Gruden pairing.

1st draft was okay- good finds in the mid rounds,

12 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Dont know why Raiders fans keep giving Mayock a pass.  With 5 (!!) first round picks in two years and a mountain of cap space we have very little to show for it.

Agree with above posters who question how much say Mayock actually has.  Still, he's the GM and is ultimately responsible for player acquisition.  If he can't reign in Gruden at all then that's on him.

Incredibly disappointing tenure so far for the Mayock/Gruden pairing.

- last year draft was trash 

- Ferrell our most important pick is just okay for now 

- AB trade blew up in Mayock face 

- Didn’t can Paul G so 2020 season was a lost cause 

- blowing money in 2020 free agency on: Witten, Nassib, MM, Collins - 25m 

- if you think about it: Williams , Joyner, and Brown were all overpaid too. All 3 likely gone after two years of not making much impact. 

if we didn’t have DC we would be a bottom 3 team.