How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

14 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Not great, bob!

In a vacuum, nothing wrong with cutting your losses. But when the first mistake was so recent and (imo) obvious, doesnt make me feel much better.

Got off to a rough start with Ferrell (was a reach, and underperformed). His free agent pickups have been pretty poor, too. Tyrell Williams, LaMarcus Joyner, Antonio Brown (trade). I'm not even convinced Trent Brown was a great signing. He was being paid to be elite but really he was good not great, has missed time, and has missed most of camp already. The Mariota signing was expensive at the time and has only looked worse. Randall/Prince didn't even make the team. Jury still out on guys like Nassib, Littleton, Kwiatkoski, obviousy.

But hey the RB he took in the first round was pretty good!

If one of Lamb/Jeudy drastically outperforms Ruggs early, that will also reflect quite poorly. And there will be a lot of pressure for Muse to be an impact player by 2021

Not  everything's equal

Lamb and Jeudy are probably going to have more catches and yards than Ruggs but that doesn't mean a thing because they're 2 different types of players. Riggs job is to stretch the field and open up the underneath. If he  accomplishes that then he's a huge success.

You grade Mayock on as the team been upgraded since he got here. No what if's or should have done.

The Raiders are young team with a lot of promising talent.

That's all that matters, not wasted 3rd round picks or overdrafting players.

• Like 1

I feel like it's way too early to judge based off basically one draft and we've yet to see this draft class play.

everyone has been clamoring to upgrade LB and he did in big way. we got younger and faster at mostly all positions. Arnette and ruggs will determine this year's draft as well as Edwards IMO. 

he's missed on some FA but that happens with any GM. so far I'd give him a..

B

I would say Mayock and been hit and miss. We seen the good and seen some bad. Some fans are ready to crown him and that’s just foolish. There are a couple players on the roster Arnette and Edwards that can definitely make people forget about the Bowden botch. But something like Bowden can’t happen again. Can’t think you can just change a players position to a position they haven’t played in HS and this it will work in the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I would say Mayock and been hit and miss. We seen the good and seen some bad. Some fans are ready to crown him and that’s just foolish. There are a couple players on the roster Arnette and Edwards that can definitely make people forget about the Bowden botch. But something like Bowden can’t happen again. Can’t think you can just change a players position to a position they haven’t played in HS and this it will work in the NFL. 

Works sometimes. Edelman never played receiver before

29 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I think it's also that it was a relatively high pick plus the fact he wasn't even expected to be a 'starter' as such. If he'd been a 6th round pick nobody would have batted an eye but a mid 3rd for a backup RB that hadn't even played RB since HS is not prudent.

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

Tanner Muse on IR lol. Hard to think it’s a bonafide season ending injury. Hes just not ready to play. It’s like when we stashed Marquette king for a year except this guy was a third round pick who couldn’t make the team

Based on reports he looked terrible in camp and was outplayed by Javin White who provides basically the same skillset as a hybrid LB/S. The difference is that we spent a third round pick on one and found the other as an UDFA. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on reports he looked terrible in camp and was outplayed by Javin White who provides basically the same skillset as a hybrid LB/S. The difference is that we spent a third round pick on one and found the other as an UDFA. 

yep. we spent day 2 picks on projects.

Just now, Turnobili said:

yep. we spent day 2 picks on projects.

And Muse couldn't even beat out Wilber as a special teams ace as a third round pick. 

The Bowden pick was always iffy to me and looks horrible now. We had just resigned Richard who's one of the better 3rd down backs in the league, who's only real value is his receiving ability out of the backfield. At best case that's realistically what Bowden would've brought to the table as well. It seems like Gruden/Mayock really thought he could be our RB2 and take a ton of carries this season. 

Just even sadder because we could've taken guys that would have made the roster and contributed for us at positions of need in Muse/Bowden's spots. At 80 we could've had Zack Moss who reportedly had a good camp and is projected to be the Bills starting RB this season. At 100 we could've had Terrell Burgess who's projected as the Rams third safety and would've been a definite upgrade over Leavitt. 

When you look at what Mayock has done here so far it has been a pretty mixed bag. Of our major veteran additions last offseason, Antonio Brown, LaMarcus Joyner, and Tyrell Williams were all bad investments. Mariota looks like a pretty terrible investment already and we've heard some bad things about Nassib as well. 

The jury is still out for two of our first round picks from 2019 and you can make legitimate criticism's about both of our first round picks in 2020. Not to mention we basically wasted two premium picks in the 2020 draft with Muse and Bowden. 

Another huge question mark with Mayock is why has he refused to address the backup RB spot? 

Edited by NYRaider

good with Mayock because of how he fits in with Gruden. Mayock was never a GM and needs to get that education on the fly. So mistakes will be made, however Gruden's history with player acquisition is not good and Mayock is a talent evaluator. So IMO they're a good fit together. 

2 hours ago, G said:

good with Mayock because of how he fits in with Gruden. Mayock was never a GM and needs to get that education on the fly. So mistakes will be made, however Gruden's history with player acquisition is not good and Mayock is a talent evaluator. So IMO they're a good fit together. 

agreed. 

also I can't believe he hasn't hit on every draft pick and free agency signing like the rest of the NFL. our previous GM's were way better!

to think hes even lasted into possibly a full 2nd season is crazy! 

Edited by roi34
  • Like 1

A lot of you make it sound like you are top talent evaluators who know more than Mayock and say we should have picked this player or that player over who we drafted.  I have no problem with Mayock cutting bait with Bowden and moving on.  We got something in return from a team that is a dumpster fire so most likely it will be an early 4th.  Mayock is building a culture and identify in Vegas something this team has lacked in over 2 decades.  He is also correcting the mistakes of RM which needed a complete roster overhaul.  

I wan't all of you armchair GM's and critics to put your money where your mouth is so I can come back to this thread a year from now and call you out.  Give me 5 3rd rounders in this draft who will be bonafide studs a year from now.  You guys make it sound like 3rd rounds of NFL drafts are littered with studs but clearly you do zero research as 90 percent of 3rd round picks are fringe NFL players.  I'll wait for your 5 3rd round studs from this draft LOL 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz