How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There were a number of teams that didn't have any UDFA make their roster this season. These kids got like what? 14 padded practices and zero preseason games? Tough to evaluate a kid under those circumstances. 

That’s not what my issue was... i said numerous times after the draft we had a pretty full roster with only 7-8 spots open for UDFAs (off my memory)... we should have been able to land some quality UDFAs given the fact that last year we had several make the team, we have the same amount of money as every other team to sign them and we would be signing by far the least amount.... we should have targeted 4 really good UDFAs... instead we gave all the money to Nick Bowers some overaged scrub TE.

we totally mismanaged UDFA signings and  lost out on a valuable opportunity.

oh plus we had no picks after the 5th round so it was a prime spot for a few top UDFAs to go and try and make the team.

Edited by jimkelly02

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s not what my issue was... i said numerous times after the draft we had a pretty full roster with only 7-8 spots open for UDFAs (off my memory)... we should have been able to land some quality UDFAs given the fact that last year we had several make the team, we have the same amount of money as every other team to sign them and we would be signing by far the least amount.... we should have targeted 4 really good UDFAs... instead we gave all the money to Nick Bowers some overaged scrub TE.

we totally mismanaged UDFA signings and  lost out on a valuable opportunity.

Only 33 UDFA's made NFL rosters this season. 16 teams have an UDFA on their roster and 16 teams don't, with only 8 of those teams having multiple UDFA on the roster. Again, it's a weird year because there were no OTA's and no preseason games, so teams really had like 14 padded practices to make evaluations on guys. Hence why you see half the league opting against carrying an UDFA on their final 53 man roster and another 3rd of the league only carrying 1 UDFA. 

We had several make the team last season but only two of them had any sort of impact in Ingold and Cole. 

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Only 33 UDFA's made NFL rosters this season. 16 teams have an UDFA on their roster and 16 teams don't, with only 8 of those teams having multiple UDFA on the roster. Again, it's a weird year because there were no OTA's and no preseason games, so teams really had like 14 padded practices to make evaluations on guys. Hence why you see half the league opting against carrying an UDFA on their final 53 man roster and another 3rd of the league only carrying 1 UDFA. 

We had several make the team last season but only two of them had any sort of impact in Ingold and Cole. 

Yes I get all of that... it’s not like I’m obviously to the impact Covid had on TC and UDFAs.... But even if they don’t make it to the roster making high quality UDFAs on the PS is valuable.... especially this year because there’s a good chance more then ever they eventually get on the active roster or are one of the 2 PS players actives for games.

this year more then ever with the rule changes it’d be advantageous to have good UDFAs... you could slip some good players into the PS and avoid teams picking them off waivers

and we blew that opportunity 

and even if they don’t have a big impact it’s cheap labor locked up for 3 years you can develop.  If you play the UDFA signings right it’s like getting free 7th round draft picks.

Edited by jimkelly02

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yes I get all of that... it’s not like I’m obviously to the impact Covid had on TC and UDFAs.... But even if they don’t make it to the roster making high quality UDFAs on the PS is valuable.... especially this year because there’s a good chance more then ever they eventually get on the active roster or are one of the 2 PS players actives for games.

I guess. But that's really why you're going to be critical of Mayock? How many UDFA do we have on our team that are going to play a major role for us? Like 6? Cole, Ingold, Morrow, Richard, and Harris? With only Harris being a full time starter and the other 5 being used in limited capacities. 

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I guess. But that's really why you're going to be critical of Mayock? How many UDFA do we have on our team that are going to play a major role for us? Like 6? Cole, Ingold, Morrow, Richard, and Harris? With only Harris being a full time starter and the other 5 being used in limited capacities. 

It’s just one of several things he’s mismanaged.... and it’s really the simplest of tasks to manage.  Does it matter all that much no?  

but in my line of business when someone can’t handle a simple task it makes me seriously question their ability to do the job.  I get the feeling Mayock’s either over his head or made some rookie mistakes...: I’d hope it’s just rookie mistakes he can learn from.

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s just one of several things he’s mismanaged.... and it’s really the simplest of tasks to manage.  Does it matter all that much no?  

but in my line of business when someone can’t handle a simple task it makes me seriously question their ability to do the job.  I get the feeling Mayock’s either over his head or made some rookie mistakes...: I’d hope it’s just rookie mistakes he can learn from.

11 of our projected starters are players he drafted or UDFA that he has signed in the two years he has been here. But you're questioning if he can do his job because we didn't put a heavy emphasis on signing UDFA in a year with no pro days and no team visits to start seeing these kids in person. Followed by very limited offseason practices and no preseason games to evaluate them? He literally said the reason they didn't look to acquire any 5th-7th round picks this year was because he thought those players would have a really hard time making the roster considering the weird offseason. 

Literally half of the league didn't carry an UDFA on their final 53 man roster and 8 other teams only had 1 UDFA make it. Meaning only 8/32 teams (25%) have multiple UDFA on their roster this year. 

I know I’ll get ripped for this but I hope mike may and gruden didn’t let their ego make the ruggs pick esp after the ab situation. Ruggs Game imo is the Closest to ab’s from any prospect in the draft. I like ruggs but still kinda shocked he was the first wr off the board. 

31 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I know I’ll get ripped for this but I hope mike may and gruden didn’t let their ego make the ruggs pick esp after the ab situation. Ruggs Game imo is the Closest to ab’s from any prospect in the draft. I like ruggs but still kinda shocked he was the first wr off the board. 

Ruggs was the 3rd WR I wouldve taken. I really wanted Lamb. 

But for the offence Gruden wants to run, I shouldve been more open to the Raiders taken Ruggs. 
We needed speed desperately on our O, and while we couldve gotten a speed guy later in the draft, Ruggs is a whole lot more than just a speed guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh. I don't think they're that similar tbh, Brown wasn't the fastest guy but he made his living with his elite route running and hands. I'd say Jeudy was the most similar to him, I'm not making the comparison, but I think Jeudy compares more to Brown than Ruggs does. 

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I think the main reason we took Ruggs is because we're trying to emulate what the Chiefs do offensively. We've seen Hill torch us over the years and how his speed can change the entire outlook of a game within seconds. Ruggs likely won't ever be a super high usage player but he'll be a threat to score any time he touches the ball and that opens up a lot of looks for the rest of our offense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. I don't think they're that similar tbh, Brown wasn't the fastest guy but he made his living with his elite route running and hands. I'd say Jeudy was the most similar to him, I'm not making the comparison, but I think Jeudy compares more to Brown than Ruggs does. 

They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery and I think the main reason we took Ruggs is because we're trying to emulate what the Chiefs do offensively. We've seen Hill torch us over the years and how his speed can change the entire outlook of a game within seconds. Ruggs likely won't ever be a super high usage player but he'll be a threat to score any time he touches the ball and that opens up a lot of looks for the rest of our offense. 

HIll is more quick than fast, still fast with sub 4.4 speed, and that is why I wanted to see Ruggs do some of the other drills besides the 40.  I wanted to know how quick he was.  What I am hoping happens I believe I see in Ruggs is the ability to high point the ball and take it away from defenders.  I saw it a few times last year where Mahomes throws a bad ball, Hill cut the defender off, and elevate for a long gain. That is the part of Hill's game that I love.  I tell my boys all the time that you always play the ball and it is your ball.  I have noticed over the past few years that our WRs wait for the ball to come to them.  That is a big part of the problem with Carr not throwing 50-50 balls.  I think Ruggs will attack the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

HIll is more quick than fast, still fast with sub 4.4 speed, and that is why I wanted to see Ruggs do some of the other drills besides the 40.  I wanted to know how quick he was.  What I am hoping happens I believe I see in Ruggs is the ability to high point the ball and take it away from defenders.  I saw it a few times last year where Mahomes throws a bad ball, Hill cut the defender off, and elevate for a long gain. That is the part of Hill's game that I love.  I tell my boys all the time that you always play the ball and it is your ball.  I have noticed over the past few years that our WRs wait for the ball to come to them.  That is a big part of the problem with Carr not throwing 50-50 balls.  I think Ruggs will attack the ball.

Hill ran a 4.29 and set the record for fastest recorded speed on a football field in NFL history. He's probably the fastest player in the NFL. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hill ran a 4.29 and set the record for fastest recorded speed on a football field in NFL history. He's probably the fastest player in the NFL. 

You are right but that was at his pro day. I do not know if it is faster or slower than Indy but probably a little slower.  How did he hit 23+ MPH on a 27 yard return.  I question that one but he also hit just under that number on another return that year so I am not doubting he can do it.  Breida has clocked the fastest speed the past 2 years but only ran a 4.38 40.  I think Ruggs will take the title this year even though he did not break 22 MPH at Alabama.  He will get faster as his competition gets faster and is chasing him.

I might have to call into question how the NFL was clocking players in 2016.  There were 7 runs faster than any other speeds since then.

Edited by drfrey13

Hill is much more joystick-y than Ruggs has ever shown, but probably just as fast in a straight line (the distinction between 4.27 and 4.29 or whatever.. when factoring in margin for error, is negligible at best)

they also have simlar verts/broad jumps. hill doesnt really have a weakness in his game at this point, he's been making physical high point catches too... he doesnt really drop passes (i know he dropped that wide open TD in a decided game against the bengals, but through his career he's as sure handed as they come). 

Edited by Turnobili

11 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think they were looking for what AB would have brought.... but i don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing.  They could have a vision for the offense of a WR like AB/Ruggs and justified the pick that way.  I don’t see it as being an AB replacement moreso replacing a certain type of WR for an offense.

Did you hear Mark Davis’s explanation of the pick? He cited Ruggs tackling ability on INTs.... the pick at the goal line where Ruggs ran down the CB.  I just envision Mark seeing that play on YouTube and saying “Marcell (Reese).... order me the my usual (from Hooters/PF Chang’s) I’m going outside to call Mayock.... I found our guy!”

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

11 of our projected starters are players he drafted or UDFA that he has signed in the two years he has been here. But you're questioning if he can do his job because we didn't put a heavy emphasis on signing UDFA in a year with no pro days and no team visits to start seeing these kids in person. Followed by very limited offseason practices and no preseason games to evaluate them? He literally said the reason they didn't look to acquire any 5th-7th round picks this year was because he thought those players would have a really hard time making the roster considering the weird offseason. 

Literally half of the league didn't carry an UDFA on their final 53 man roster and 8 other teams only had 1 UDFA make it. Meaning only 8/32 teams (25%) have multiple UDFA on their roster this year. 

That’s fantastic.... but your missing the point.

Again.... we only had 7-8 (off memory) roster spots open... we could have targeted 3-5 high ranking UDFAs and the rest average guys.... but we gave almost all the money Nick Bowers.... whose a bum.  
Even if a reduced offseason meant those top UDFAs only make the PS.... that’s still a better PS then now.  

We missed an opportunity.... you may think it’s a small one but it’s another missed opportunity....

there’s a pattern forming here with Mayock.