MrOaktown_56

How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

I think it’s safe to put Abram on the good pick list. I know it’s only been two games but he’s an impact player that’s always around the ball

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

Abram is dam beast. Jacobs and Abram just pop off the screen, that’s how first round picks should look. 

And to think just last week people were writing Abram off.

32 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Crazy. He may not be a turnover machine just yet but the guy sets the tone. Priceless peice on the defense.

33 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Writing him off after 1 game lol these guys crack me up 

Just now, Jerry said:

Crazy. He may not be a turnover machine just yet but the guy sets the tone. Priceless peice on the defense.

Need to pair him with a ball hawk 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

Erik Harris definitely failed to be that today. That play where he flew past Robby Anderson was a major head scratcher. Could've made a big play and looked like he was just trying to scare Anderson. Terrible.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Erik Harris definitely failed to be that today. That play where he flew past Robby Anderson was a major head scratcher. Could've made a big play and looked like he was just trying to scare Anderson. Terrible.

I like Harris, but I think he’s a 3rd safety on a good defense. 

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

I like Harris, but I think he’s a 3rd safety on a good defense. 

Completely agree. His position needs to be upgraded this offseason.

7 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Anderson was really smooth on that play. He did the Jordy Nelson slight cut to the middle of the field move, but he slowed up for the cut before he even caught the ball, while Harris's angle was based on his expectation that Robbie would have to continue sprinting to get under the ball

Abram was definitely all over the place which is good. He had some impact hits, but its not like Carolina struggled moving the ball because of him. He planted CMC in the backfield on a play where he was already dead to rights.

Ian Thomas was a very talked up guy this offseason and he didnt accomplish anything, I wonder if Abram was covering him regularly.

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't recall many people writing him off as much as saying they hadn't seen enough to make a judgement and that he appears to be a box safety rather than a centre fielder type. Maybe I missed something?  He looks like a tone setter for the D to me but we do need a rangy, pkaymaking safety compliment to go with him I feel.........I know that's easier said than done though as they don't grow on trees, one of the hardest positions to fill with a quality player IMO.

Edited by Darbsk

On 9/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, jimkelly02 said:

That’s not what my issue was... i said numerous times after the draft we had a pretty full roster with only 7-8 spots open for UDFAs (off my memory)... we should have been able to land some quality UDFAs given the fact that last year we had several make the team, we have the same amount of money as every other team to sign them and we would be signing by far the least amount.... we should have targeted 4 really good UDFAs... instead we gave all the money to Nick Bowers some overaged scrub TE.

we totally mismanaged UDFA signings and  lost out on a valuable opportunity.

oh plus we had no picks after the 5th round so it was a prime spot for a few top UDFAs to go and try and make the team.

UDFA also have a choice to sign too. And while we may not be the most talented team in terms of top tier talent, I do believe we are a pretty deep team, especially at OL, TE, QB with proven talent that UDFA just aren't beating out realistically. And then we have LB that we had just invested heavy resources in 2 free agents with all the guys that started for us there last year coming back, that may have been the best spot for an undrafted guy to compete for, but that's also the spot where only 5 guys make the roster. At DL we have a top 5 pick, a second year guy coming off a 10+ sack season, a highly paid among NT vet, a DE we invested heavy money in for a non starter, and a third year guy that has shown some flashes. That's a tough group to think you're cracking. RB we have a rookie that looked to have all pro potential, a third RB that we had just locked up on a new contract, had just drafted Bowden and told the world he was playing RB, and I can't remember if we had already signed Booker. DB we had 1 rookie we just drafted in the first round, a 2nd year guy that started down the stretch that was a 2nd round pick a year ago, a first round pick at safety, a third round pick at corner. A highly paid CB/S in Joyner that we didn't save anything by cutting, a 5th round pick in Johnson that didn't play his rookie year but the staff talked up. Agents know all this stuff too. And they know that between the established players we have, the investments made in first or second year guys in terms of draft picks, the money spent in free agency, etc means we didn't have many open spots on the roster in general. But undrafted guys would also face an uphill battle finding a spot in position groups that have young guys that maybe aren't proven but will be given the benefit of the doubt over undrafted rookies because of where they were picked and their perceived higher upside. 

If I was an agent for an undrafted guy I would have told any player playing QB, RB, TE, OL, DL, WR, CB that we either need more money than another team with a more glaring need and open potential roster spots at those positions, or straight up avoid the Raiders because you have a much smaller chance at making the team in Vegas simply because they have deep units with guys that already look great and/or a heavy amount of first or second year guys that were highly drafred. I would have only recommended an undrafted player to look at the Raiders if they played S or LB. 

That plays a part, how much is tough to say exactly. But it probably plays a bigger part than it would even most years in a year without presason and stuff. And it's hard to blame Mayock for that because it's a problem tied to fixing holes with free agents or acquiring and using a bunch of high draft capitol all throughout the roster. 

13 hours ago, Geezy said:

Exactly..... we need a ball hawk FS to pair with Abram.  A FS who can cover a slot WR to play cover 1.... and let Abram crash the run, have less responsibilities in coverage and make plays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

UDFA also have a choice to sign too. And while we may not be the most talented team in terms of top tier talent, I do believe we are a pretty deep team, especially at OL, TE, QB with proven talent that UDFA just aren't beating out realistically. And then we have LB that we had just invested heavy resources in 2 free agents with all the guys that started for us there last year coming back, that may have been the best spot for an undrafted guy to compete for, but that's also the spot where only 5 guys make the roster. At DL we have a top 5 pick, a second year guy coming off a 10+ sack season, a highly paid among NT vet, a DE we invested heavy money in for a non starter, and a third year guy that has shown some flashes. That's a tough group to think you're cracking. RB we have a rookie that looked to have all pro potential, a third RB that we had just locked up on a new contract, had just drafted Bowden and told the world he was playing RB, and I can't remember if we had already signed Booker. DB we had 1 rookie we just drafted in the first round, a 2nd year guy that started down the stretch that was a 2nd round pick a year ago, a first round pick at safety, a third round pick at corner. A highly paid CB/S in Joyner that we didn't save anything by cutting, a 5th round pick in Johnson that didn't play his rookie year but the staff talked up. Agents know all this stuff too. And they know that between the established players we have, the investments made in first or second year guys in terms of draft picks, the money spent in free agency, etc means we didn't have many open spots on the roster in general. But undrafted guys would also face an uphill battle finding a spot in position groups that have young guys that maybe aren't proven but will be given the benefit of the doubt over undrafted rookies because of where they were picked and their perceived higher upside. 

If I was an agent for an undrafted guy I would have told any player playing QB, RB, TE, OL, DL, WR, CB that we either need more money than another team with a more glaring need and open potential roster spots at those positions, or straight up avoid the Raiders because you have a much smaller chance at making the team in Vegas simply because they have deep units with guys that already look great and/or a heavy amount of first or second year guys that were highly drafred. I would have only recommended an undrafted player to look at the Raiders if they played S or LB. 

That plays a part, how much is tough to say exactly. But it probably plays a bigger part than it would even most years in a year without presason and stuff. And it's hard to blame Mayock for that because it's a problem tied to fixing holes with free agents or acquiring and using a bunch of high draft capitol all throughout the roster. 

Very valid points.... And I’m not ignorant to the fact that top UDFA have a choice of where to go and will target teams where they have the best shot of making the team.  but as I said before.... we didn’t have any pics after round 4 and only had 7-8 spots open for UDFAs... meaning anyone we did sign had a decent chance of making the team If they weren’t at a very very deep position.  Plus, we have the same amount of money as every other team and we’re going to sign 7-8 guys versus 12-20 like most teams do so we had the money to target 3-4 top guys and the rest be solid.  You failed to combat that fact.

again... UDFA sign is isn’t just about getting guys to make the 53... It’s about competition in camp and filling out the PS... which in a year that could have major roster turnover it’s more important than ever to have a solid PS... not to mention the new rules allow bringing up PS players to the active roster.

That said, I wouldn’t expect any quality UDFAs to sign at:

QB- Carr+Mariota and Everyone knows Carr loves Peterman.... maybe could have gotten a developmental 4th QB for PS but that’s iffy at best cuz Gruden prefers veteran QBs.

FB/RB- Pretty deep there at the time and drafted Bowden...maybe could have gotten a tier 2 UDFA.  No way at FB cuz we only carry one and Ingolds the future there.
TE- we did throw 100k (50k SB and 50k guaranteed salary at a scrub in Bowers).... we could have gotten a tier 2 for the PS that’s way better than Bowers, and there were a good amount of quality UDFAs at TE

WR- we did draft 2 WRs early and bad solid depth all the way through the position... I think we could have gotten a tier 2 sleeper though.

OL- easily should have gotten a top UDFA OT but definitely not a G/C cuz we were very deep ther

ST- we did sign Eberle and McCullough.... I thought we should have gotten a P like Charlton, who signed very very late but still made the team for Carolina... given the roster cut down to 80 it wouldn’t have mattered.... anyone we signed would have been cut

DL- definitely should have signed 1-3 good UDFAs .... we were horribly weak at DT!  Ross and Vickers made the team! All we got was Panasuik, who was trash in college.  We only carried 4 DEs into TC also.  Idk how you ignore the lack of depth on the DL... a good UDFA had a great shot of making the team.

LB- also very weak depth... should have signed a top UDFA or two.

CB- solid depth... didn’t expect any major signings.

S- same as Lb... should have targeted a top UDFA.  They could have beat Leavitt out.