How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

18 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Exactly..... we need a ball hawk FS to pair with Abram.  A FS who can cover a slot WR to play cover 1.... and let Abram crash the run, have less responsibilities in coverage and make plays.

Which is why I was so enamored with Ashtyn Davis during the pre draft process. Earl Thomas is still a free agent and IIRC any deal signed now is non-guaranteed. Bring him in on a 1 year deal and if he causes any trouble just cut him and move on. Low risk, extremely high reward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why I was so enamored with Ashtyn Davis during the pre draft process. Earl Thomas is still a free agent and IIRC any deal signed now is non-guaranteed. Bring him in on a 1 year deal and if he causes any trouble just cut him and move on. Low risk, extremely high reward. 

I liked Davis too... but felt he didn’t have something I could put my finger on.... I was high on Darian Thompson who busted and that scared me a bit.  Don’t get me wrong I still liked/wanted Davis but I had my reservations.  
Id sign Thomas but doubt we do.  Ideally we just draft a guy like Jevon Holland/ Andre Cisco or sign a FA...maybe not the top 2-3 guys who get premo money but the one whose left and can be had for a reasonable deal.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

On a side note.... is really love to get a 6’4/6’5 tall lanky 235-240+ college OLB/DE tweener like Hamilcar Rashed/Jayson Oweh/etc type to use as a DPR.  We really lack a speed rusher and it showed vs Carolina.  I’m not down on Ferrell/ Crosby/ etc yet but they aren’t guys who get sacks/hits on 3 step drops.  Obviously few players can but we really could use a speed rusher.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:53 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lot of you make it sound like you are top talent evaluators who know more than Mayock and say we should have picked this player or that player over who we drafted.  I have no problem with Mayock cutting bait with Bowden and moving on.  We got something in return from a team that is a dumpster fire so most likely it will be an early 4th.  Mayock is building a culture and identify in Vegas something this team has lacked in over 2 decades.  He is also correcting the mistakes of RM which needed a complete roster overhaul.  

I wan't all of you armchair GM's and critics to put your money where your mouth is so I can come back to this thread a year from now and call you out.  Give me 5 3rd rounders in this draft who will be bonafide studs a year from now.  You guys make it sound like 3rd rounds of NFL drafts are littered with studs but clearly you do zero research as 90 percent of 3rd round picks are fringe NFL players.  I'll wait for your 5 3rd round studs from this draft LOL 

i don't comment here very often because everyone on here is a pro evaluator however i agree with everything you say, personally im glad we have Mayock and Gruden they have this team and organization on the rise 

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I love Mayock. I think he's going to truly turn this franchise around and has already begun the transition. I do have to admit though, his FA signings worry me.

This team had holes everywhere when Mayock got here, FA is a scrapshoot 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

His marquee free agent signings have been dookie. 

Trent Brown - Good when healthy but has already missed 8/19 games here. 

LaMarcus Joyner - Has been terrible as a SCB here and is gone after this season. 

Tyrell Williams - Good when healthy but we got like 5 good games from him and he's gone after this year.

Cory Littleton - Has been graded as our worst defensive player according to PFF.

Carl Nassib - Has been MIA all season after getting that huge contract. 

Maliek Collins - Has been MIA all season and severely outplayed by Hurst. 

Marcus Mariota - LOL 

Nick Kwit - Looked good for a half but is already hurt. 

3 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Can’t quite believe Littleton has been so poor.  He was the player I wanted in FA and actually thought he was good value. Raiders still the graveyard for LBs.

At some point I think you also have to start questioning how much of it is Gunther's scheme as well? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

At some point I think you also have to start questioning how much of it is Gunther's scheme as well? 

I have said this so many times I feel like a broken record.  I did not want him when he first showed up and I am done giving him chances.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We need a dominant 3T to get this defense going.  We may need to new DTs next year since Hankins is a FA.  Marvin Wilson in the late 1st would be a nice start.

Yeah, Collins has been extremely disappointing this year and Hurst has clearly been better than him. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah but Collins has a similar problem and has been worse rushing the passer than Hurst. 

I am fine with the FA LB signings but everything else has been below average.  On offense we built from the trenches out but on defense we have not done a good job.  Part of my problem is that we have over-payed for a lot of the FAs.