How is Mike Mayock doing so far?

MrOaktown_56

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am fine with the FA LB signings but everything else has been below average.  On offense we built from the trenches out but on defense we have not done a good job.  Part of my problem is that we have over-payed for a lot of the FAs.

Littleton has been pretty damn bad this year. And the best ability is availability and who knows when Kwit will be back on the field for us. We've invested into the DL under Mayock by drafting Ferrell #4, signing Collins to a $6M/yr deal, and Nassibg to a $7.5M/yr deal but all three of those guys have been meh. 

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

15 snaps for Jason Witten today. Really not seeing the value in this signing.$4m is bad business thus far. 

Yeah that was a weird and unnecessary signing. We're just taking snaps away from Moreau who is clearly a better player at this stage, he has had two really nice grabs and a TD the last two weeks. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No one is saying he sucks, we're definitely a lot more talent now then we were before he took over. But his free agent signings are looking pretty damn meh so far. 

It’s 3 weeks into the season in which they didn’t have a normal offseason. I’ll give em some time to get acclimated. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

It’s 3 weeks into the season in which they didn’t have a normal offseason. I’ll give em some time to get acclimated. 

There's definitely still a lot of football to be played but none of those high profile, highly paid FA's have made an impact for us this season. 

littleton signing was one I don't think anyone argued with. to say it's a bad signing now is crazy to me. most talented guy we've had in years. LB signings were both needed. the D-line has regressed this year under Rod maranelli so far IMO. 

Lbs can't make many plays when D-line looks like trash

Just now, roi34 said:

littleton signing was one I don't think anyone argued with. to say it's a bad signing now is crazy to me. most talented guy we've had in years. LB signings were both needed. the D-line has regressed this year under Rod maranelli so far IMO. 

Yeah our DL has been the most disappointing aspect of our team this year. I was hopeful that guys like Ferrell, Crosby, Key, and Hurst would take the next step while Collins/Nassib would be upgraded depth but they've been booty this year as a unit.  

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah our DL has been the most disappointing aspect of our team this year. I was hopeful that guys like Ferrell, Crosby, Key, and Hurst would take the next step while Collins/Nassib would be upgraded depth but they've been booty this year as a unit.  

yeah, Ferrell has great effort and flashes, as does key. but other guys I haven't seen. Hurst and Crosby have Been most consistent and best DL imo.

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

Yea, Littleton was at the top of everyone’s list. I’m going to give the defense a few weeks before I get into what we need to do. We have a lot of 1st and 2nd year players and FAs who’s it’s first year in the system. There was a funky offseason in which it hindered our situation even more. I believe we will get better on that side of the ball as the season progresses. Can’t be much worse lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Yea, Littleton was at the top of everyone’s list. I’m going to give the defense a few weeks before I get into what we need to do. We have a lot of 1st and 2nd year players and FAs who’s it’s first year in the system. There was a funky offseason in which it hindered our situation even more. I believe we will get better on that side of the ball as the season progresses. Can’t be much worse lol

But every other team had to deal with a funky offseason as well. Plus we've played the Panthers with a rookie head coach and new QB, the Saints without Thomas and a declining Brees, and the Patriots with a new QB and limited weapons on offense. And we're still allowing over 400 yards and 30 ppg to start the season. 

You can make a case that the teams we play over the next 4 weeks have more dynamic offenses than the teams we've played in the first 3. The Bills look amazing with Allen throwing to Diggs/Beasley/Brown, the Chiefs have Mahomes plus CEH/Hill/Kelcee/Watkins, the Buccaneers have Brady plus Fournette/Evans/Godwin/Gronk/Howard, and the Browns have Mayfield plus Hunt/Chubb/OBJ/Landry.  

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But every other team had to deal with a funky offseason as well. Plus we've played the Panthers with a rookie head coach and new QB, the Saints without Thomas and a declining Brees, and the Patriots with a new QB and limited weapons on offense. And we're still allowing over 400 yards and 30 ppg to start the season. 

You can make a case that the teams we play over the next 4 weeks have more dynamic offenses than the teams we've played in the first 3. The Bills look amazing with Allen throwing to Diggs/Beasley/Brown, the Chiefs have Mahomes plus CEH/Hill/Kelcee/Watkins, the Buccaneers have Brady plus Fournette/Evans/Godwin/Gronk/Howard, and the Browns have Mayfield plus Hunt/Chubb/OBJ/Landry.  

How many teams had 5 new starters on one side of the ball? We also have 5 first or second year starters on defense. We’re going to have growing pains. I’ll withhold judgment till mid-season. The first half was probably the best ball they played all year, they just have to put it all together. And once the offense is intact and can sustain some drives we will be more successful on defense. 

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

How many teams had 5 new starters on one side of the ball? We also have 5 first or second year starters on defense. We’re going to have growing pains. I’ll withhold judgment till mid-season. The first half was probably the best ball they played all year, they just have to put it all together. And once the offense is intact and can sustain some drives we will be more successful on defense. 

There's a difference between having growing pains and being absolutely terrible. We're allowing 400 yards and 30 points per game so far this season despite investing $130M into defensive free agents and 4 1st/2nd round picks into defensive players over the last two off-seasons. 

How many teams have invested as much draft capital and as much money in free agency as we have on the defensive side of the ball the last two off-seasons? 

Edited by NYRaider

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There's a difference between having growing pains and being absolutely terrible. We're allowing 400 yards and 30 points per game so far this season despite investing $130M into defensive free agents and 4 1st/2nd round picks into defensive players over the last two off-seasons. 

How many teams have invested as much draft capital and as much money in free agency as we have on the defensive side of the ball the last two off-seasons? 

The best units are the ones that have had consistency and cohesiveness. Name one unit offense or defense that has had as much turnover as our defense that is having success? We have like 3 guys on defense that have been here longer than 2 years.