Post 53 - Cuts and Free Agents

mwalker

Good to list anyone you'd love to see the Steelers take a look at:

CB Sidney Jones
CB Rasul Douglas
(both more interesting to me than Pierre or Layne)

WR Hakeem Butler
(seems awful early to give up on such talented player)

QB J.Rosen
(gotta be better than Hodges?)

Intriguing names for me:

• Hakeem Bulter, WR ARZ
  • Brett Toth, OT ARZ
  • Evan Weaver LB ARZ
  • Edmund Robinson, LB ATL
  • Jerell Adams, TE BAL
  • Davis Webb, QB BUF
  • Stephen Denmark, CB CHI
  • Alex Taylor, OT CLE
  • Mitch Hyatt, OT DAL
  • Cole Hikatuni, TE DAL
  • Isaac Nauta, TE DET
  • Dan Skipper, OT DET
  • Jordan Ta'Amu, QB KC
  • Malik Jefferson, LB LAC
  • Natrez Patrick, LB LAR
  • Lawrence Cager, WR NYJ
  • D'Andre Walker, Edge TEN
  • Nate Orchard, EDGE WAS

These guys would be intriguing to upgrade the rooms on PS or at the backend of the 53.  I also like S. Jones as @mwalker mentioned.

Honestly, I would love to grab one of the EDGE players above, or a new guy.  I personally have seen enough of Tuzar to know that he is a fringe player.  I'd love to see if we could make Orchard, Walker or someone I missed into a real edge piece that can be used as a rotation once Bud leaves.

Or, if you want insurance, bring back Chick for the PS.

15 hours ago, mwalker said:

CB Sidney Jones
CB Rasul Douglas
(both more interesting to me than Pierre or Layne)

WR Hakeem Butler

QB J.Rosen
(gotta be better than Hodges?)

I don't get all the replace Duck stuff. f the Steelers would get an established veteran back-up  (I.E. Dalton or Cam when they were available) then okay. He is a third string f/a rookie signing. He showed me more than Mason whom I also like and has a higher natural ceiling. It is no accident that teams are not sticking with Josh Rosen. The high investments were made and teams are still backing off.  You gotta ask why? I think Rosen can play, but he wouldn't be a #2 here and if we are developing or grooming a long term project, we already have one with Duck. I would rather invest time in him and see what he can do with the coaching and time.

Going a little different direction on some cuts:

Most Relieved Cut: Big Dan aka Mt. McCullers.  I have been hoping the Steelers would upgrade the NG position. I get that it is not as much of a priority with being in the Nickel or specialty defenses 65% - 70% of the time. I was always left with wanting more from Big Dan. I didn't expect Big Snack or Joel Steed from him, but I thought he was better than what he ended up being. 

Most Surprised Cuts: Kerreth White, Tupac Shuzar, Ryan Switzer.  I think Kerreth being cut speaks more to Anthony McFarland's upside and play. I think no pre-season hurt Tupac who seems to make plays when he is in there. I am not surprised Switzer got cut as much as I didn' think the team would.

Most Disappointing Cut: Deion Cain. I thought that this guy had some potential and upside. The drafting of Chase Claypool and the fact that Ray Ray McCloud is a better ST Gunner probably hurt him. Hopefully some other team doesn't scoop him up and we can keep him on the PS.

I'm Happy They Weren't Cut: Duck Hodges and Robert Spillane - - I am a Duck fan and don't get all of the hate. The guy went from Div 3 football to winning games in the NFL. Heart, upside and unfortunately the pandemic cost him a proper off-season with OTA's, etc.  Spillane will take one of my former favorite under-dogs spot in Dirty Red. Looking forward to Robert "Mickey" Spillane to write himself into the stat sheet every week on ST.

I Wish He Would Have Made It - - Corliss Waitman I am not the biggest Butler fan as he is very inconsistent with he play and decision making back there. I am hoping Butler really took a step forward more than Waitman just wasn't that good. 

I’m pretty happy with Dobbs and Davis coming back. Dobbs is an improvement over Duck, and Davis will be and improvement over any of our Safety depth. He might actually be a good #3 safety. I always thought he did well in man coverage on TE’s. He got embarrassed by Gronk, but if you watch those again he was always in position but just got punked by maybe the GOAT TE. He was average at best in deep zone, but he can at least do it, which is more than we can say about Marcus Allen and Dangerfield. 

• Like 3

Not sure if you just got 30 notifications @MOSteelers56, but I was trying to like your post and it would stay liked...

Anywho...I love Davis back as a 3. I said before the offseason he would for sure seek out a starting gig, but he would be the perfect depth compliment if we could talk him into staying. Has experience - starting - at both safety spots, has some ability to play in the a lot, and will be a really good option in sub packages. He isn’t a bad player, his inconsistencies just stick out like a sore thumb when you see him play snap to snap  

If he is willing to try to excel on special teams, you can’t ask for a better depth piece...at least, not a realistic one. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mwalker said:

WR Hakeem Butler

When Butler was in the draft I did not like him.  It does not good to have a Wr that can't catch the ball

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Skipper must have fallen off. Not sure about some these recent transactions, like Davis returning. Of course, he won't be arguing with burns anymore, but I was hoping they would move on from him. Dobbs, I am not sure what to think and hope it won't matter.