Bears to Start QB Mitchell Trubisky

chiefs82

33 minutes ago, coors said:

I don't know how good he will be this season, but Glennon has to sit. He's just has no future with the Bears.

No future as a starter at all, to be honest.

It's funny that everyone seemed to know giving Glennon a ton of money in the offseason was a dumb idea but the Bears.

36 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

No future as a starter at all, to be honest.

It's funny that everyone seemed to know giving Glennon a ton of money in the offseason was a dumb idea but the Bears.

Do you actually think that the Bears GM (Ryan Pace) was convinced that Glennon would be anything more than a temporary placeholder for his #2 overall draft pick?  

So ya his plan to have Glennon start the majority of games this year didn't come to fruition, but the writing was on the wall for Glennon as soon as Mitch became the pick.

Glennon essentially is on a 1-year $18 m deal.  After this season Bears can cut him and move on with no more money owed.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I still think Fox should've cut his losses and ran with his $30 mil project since the season is all but lost anyhow. Not place Trubisky in a no-win situation and potentially destroy any confidence and momentum that he built up in camp and PS. Loggains will be gone next season after Fox is, and I'm totally against ANY QB trying to learn from a carousel of coordinators and/or systems. Which is essentially what they are doing.

What did you expect Fox to do with his job on the line? Take it and go down without some sort of fight? 

3 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I watched the last 2 games, and I honestly didn't think Glennon was even playing terrible. He has no help. Those WRs can't catch a thing, which is understandable considering they lost the top 2

Did you not see the 1st play from scrimmage the other night against your Packers?  He had a wide open Zach Miller and looked his way only to then look deep for some reason and see that nothing was there before going back at Miller only to have Clay Matthews strip sack him.

He has been absolutely horrendous this season outside of a few throws.  And to top it off he is a statue in the pocket with no lateral ability whatsoever.  He deserves to sit.

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I feel it is not good for the Vikings. Gives the team some energy, home game, and they should have a smaller playbook geared for Mitch(ell). Plus the Vikings will have limited tape on him to prepare with. 

The defense is playing well, I'm sure Zimmer will have a plan. I'd rather face Glennon though for the fact he's so bad. 

32 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

What did you expect Fox to do with his job on the line? Take it and go down without some sort of fight? 

Oh I'm not saying that it's not the right move for HIM personally. But it is a bad move for the team moving forward by hindering Trubisky's development.

Look, everyone knew that Bears were going to be bad this season. Ideally, Ryan - who is also on the hot seat(unfairly imo) - should have fired Fox in the off-season and began Trubisky's career with a new OC and system. Then run with Glennon this season (or better yet not sign him at all and find a better replacement) since he already invested so much in him. Let Trubisky sit a year and give him a chance to adjust the speed of the NFL and learn the new system so that he was better prepared for next year and put into a better position to succeed.

That's called properly developing a QB like Trubisky who was still raw. But no. As it stands, the Bears are going to be typical Bears which why it's taken 30 friggin years to find a QB.  

Had that have happened, then I would have no problem. The problem I have is with the Bears organizations constant inability to develop a QB and making dumb, radical decisions.

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Well, I hope that's a good sign for the Vikings, a game that they have to win.

I think that the Bears needed to make the move, but with Trubisky, I also feel like he could have gotten some value from sitting/learning this year.

If I was the Vikes I would rather play against Glennon.

5 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I watched the last 2 games, and I honestly didn't think Glennon was even playing terrible. He has no help. Those WRs can't catch a thing, which is understandable considering they lost the top 2

Says he watched the last two games and it's the WR fault, but then why were they only targeted 4 times in the one game.  The WR aren't good but they aren't as terrible as Glennon has played.

5 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

Not sure what you've been seeing... Glennon has been AWFUL.

Fun stats: more turnovers than scoring drives, and my personal favorite, he's averaging 1.4 yards per attempt on play action passes.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Do you actually think that the Bears GM (Ryan Pace) was convinced that Glennon would be anything more than a temporary placeholder for his #2 overall draft pick?  

So ya his plan to have Glennon start the majority of games this year didn't come to fruition, but the writing was on the wall for Glennon as soon as Mitch became the pick.

Glennon essentially is on a 1-year $18 m deal.  After this season Bears can cut him and move on with no more money owed.

Why give Glennon $18M for one year when you could just keep Hoyer for a much cheaper deal? Or heck, sign Fitzpatrick, Foles, Keenum or McCown for less than half the price and would probably be better as a 1-year stop gap? Even as a one-year bandaid they overpaid and could've rolled more cap into the following year. Furthermore, it was not a foregone conclusion that the Bears could trade up and get Trubisky at the time of them signing him; the money would lead one to believe the Bears were interested in him as a possible medium-term starter if they couldn't land a QB they liked in the draft.

Wise decision to effectively make it a one-year deal through the contract, but they could've better spent this money by rolling it over or patching up other holes to make a rookie's job easier. The Bears don't exactly have a lot of offensive talent for Trubisky to work with, which they are probably worried about hurting his confidence by starting him too soon.

I think this is a fine move. I wouldn't have hated it if they kept Glennon in there, but I don't see the reasoning for it. He's not as bad as everyone things, but he's basically a high level back up in my opinion. He's a young Brian Hoyer type. This team has a solid offensive line, and a good run game that he can lean on, and some decent safety valve type players in Cohen out of the backfield and Miller. 

Archived