detroitroar

Lions sign Adrian Peterson

I think it speaks to concerns about Swift's recovery from his injury and Kerryon Johnson's durability.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

Ty Johnson sucks. Get him out of here. They should have kept Jason Huntley instead. As for Scarbrough, what's so great about him? Both he and Johnson are scrap heap guys you could sign off the street in Week 11.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think you keep a 5th round pick based solely on the fact that they're a 5th round pick. If Huntley didn't look the part, and wasn't worth a roster spot, I don't care that they cut him. 

23 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's true!  I remember LION KING really being disappointed that you guys didn't draft AD back in '07.

He has never gotten over it either.

1million and change for a backup running back? I don’t see a downside. He still puts up numbers better than the Lions current RB’s, has always been a workout warrior. If nothing else, they’ve added a RB that knows what it takes to succeed in the NFL and his longevity proves it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't think you keep a 5th round pick based solely on the fact that they're a 5th round pick. If Huntley didn't look the part, and wasn't worth a roster spot, I don't care that they cut him. 

Funny, that's exactly what they're doing with Ty Johnson. You're just assuming its the right move because that's what you always do even though you're always wrong

24 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Funny, that's exactly what they're doing with Ty Johnson. You're just assuming its the right move because that's what you always do even though you're always wrong

Ha.

How can they "be a team that's willing to cut a 5th round pick if they aren't good enough to make the roster", which they showed with Huntley, while also being the opposite? It doesn't work.

Ever stop and think that they have access to information that you may not? Don't get me wrong: I bet you concluded that "Ty Johnson sucks" based on a ton of "off-season 2020" YouTube videos, so you're clearly speaking from a place of informed knowledge here. (So impressive.) I just have a hard time believing that you, with your vast "internet/YouYube wisdom", have a more informed opinion than the 10+ members of the organization that watched these guys every practice and whose jobs are on the line.

I guess I just "always" assume that the organization may know more than I do when making these decisions. Guilty.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

On 9/8/2020 at 7:43 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I guess I just "always" assume that the organization may know more than I do when making these decisions. Guilty.

Based on this Organizations history of decision making, you probably shouldn't assume that lol...

3 minutes ago, DOBSON10 said:

Based on this Organizations history of decision making, you probably shouldn't assume that lol...

I mean, they absolutely have more access to information than I do. It doesn't mean they'll make the right decisions each time, but very few fans have more insight into an organization than actual members of that organization.

I have zero issues in adding a cheap, veteran option that replaces the skill sets offered by Scarborough. He knows Bevell's offense and should slide in fairly easy. Huntley's main case to be on the roster was as a return guy - obviously Agnew beat him out for that job. AP might be more of a one-trick pony than what Washington wanted in their RB's, however he has proven to still be a fairly reliable ball carrier at his age. With the RBBC approach and having Kerryon and Swift on the roster means he doesn't have to shoulder the load. 

I don't know what the big deal is around Ty Johnson. He was a rookie last year and showed some flashes at times. We haven't been involved with him on the Zoom meetings, we haven't seen him in any of the practices. Guys can re-shape their bodies and/or show improvement on the field going from their rookie year to sophomore year. We haven't had any pre-season games to watch this transition take place unlike the coaching staff. 

This season is unlike any other where we really have the least amount of information on rookies and second year guys than we have ever had in the past. I'll place my faith in the staff who have direct involvement on a daily basis. All they can do is make decisions based on the information in front of them and it won't always be correct. You just want to make more right decisions than wrong ones. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

This season is unlike any other where we really have the least amount of information on rookies and second year guys than we have ever had in the past. I'll place my faith in the staff who have direct involvement on a daily basis. All they can do is make decisions based on the information in front of them and it won't always be correct. You just want to make more right decisions than wrong ones. 

This may be the first time I have ever heard it spoken aloud. No amount of money would have me place my faith in any Lions staff. ....It's not too late to take it back!!! 😉

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

This may be the first time I have ever heard it spoken aloud. No amount of money would have me place my faith in any Lions staff. ....It's not too late to take it back!!! 😉

I am going to hold my ground on that one. These guys are on the ground in Allen Park and watching them on a daily basis. If we had pre-season games and could see how a guy is doing for ourselves and have it contrasting with what we're being told in news articles, press releases, interviews, etc. I might take a different approach.

From my perspective, this was a team that has been in the process of being rebuilt in the image of the Patriots. That can take some time. They also faced some challenges that lead to their record being different than what they are as a team. Bad calls from refs that lead to some L's and our iron man/MVP candidate in Stafford missing bulk of season led to a poorer finish than they should have. They definitely needed to make adjustments on the defensive side as that was just brutal but I still don't view the 2019 team as a 3 win team and I have greater expectations for the 2020 version, assuming they can stay relatively healthy. I won't rule out a division title or contending for a wildcard spot. I can see this being a 7-9 to 10-6 team. I think Matt Patricia has learned a lot along the way and that Bob Quinn has improved the overall talent level of the roster from being top heavy to being much more consistent top to bottom. 

We should have won the KC game against the Super Bowl champs; we went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and were robbed thanks to bad calls from the refs; we let the Cardinals come back after dominating most of the game. The only game that really got out of hand was the Vikings game. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

I think this is easily the best roster, top to bottom, that we've fielded with Stafford, except for maybe 2014.

• Like 1