Lions sign Adrian Peterson

detroitroar

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I am going to hold my ground on that one. These guys are on the ground in Allen Park and watching them on a daily basis. If we had pre-season games and could see how a guy is doing for ourselves and have it contrasting with what we're being told in news articles, press releases, interviews, etc. 

From my perspective, this was a team that has been in the process of being rebuilt in the image of the Patriots. That can take some time. They also faced some challenges that lead to their record being different than what they are as a team. Bad calls from refs that lead to some L's and our iron man/MVP candidate in Stafford missing bulk of season led to a poorer finish than they should have. They definitely needed to make adjustments on the defensive side as that was just brutal but I still don't view the 2019 team as a 3 win team and I have greater expectations for the 2020 version, assuming they can stay relatively healthy. I won't rule out a division title or contending for a wildcard spot. I can see this being a 7-9 to 10-6 team. I think Matt Patricia has learned a lot along the way and that Bob Quinn has improved the overall talent level of the roster from being top heavy to being much more consistent top to bottom. 

We should have won the KC game against the Super Bowl champs; we went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and were robbed thanks to bad calls from the refs; we let the Cardinals come back after dominating most of the game. The only game that really got out of hand was the Vikings game. 

I'm definitely not as high on these guys as you are, but I do and  have felt like it was going to take a while to recreate this "Patriot" mantra.  However, the bolded is what has happened in Detroit every year since before BQ.  At this stage, I'm not seeing a difference except they are not keeping this "top heavy talent". It's leaving.  I will agree the depth is much improved and are better suited for the "next man up philosophy".  I am still in this optimistically pessimistic state. But in order for us to reach the playoffs, I think it will be because of an overachieving group of average joes.

Edited by LionArkie

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I'm definitely not as high on these guys as you are, but I do and  have felt like it was going to take a while to recreate this "Patriot" mantra.  However, the bolded is what has happened in Detroit every year since before BQ.  At this stage, I'm not seeing a difference except they are not keeping this "top heavy talent". It's leaving.  I will agree the depth is much improved and are better suited for the "next man up philosophy".  I am still in this optimistically pessimistic state.

Talented guys aren't really leaving. Slay wanted a stupid amount of money for a guy his age. Glasgow plays a position where they don't want to invest a ton of money into. 

Just now, LionArkie said:

So, if they don't produce do you think the coaching staff and BQ needs to go? Of will they have earned one more year?

If Stafford stays relatively healthy and plays out the bulk of the season, anything under 7-9 should be considered a failure in my opinion. If the defense steps up and Stafford is the reason for the losses, then I can see us deciding to move on from him and possibly saving the regime. If Stafford does what he has done the last few years and the defense fails out again I think the Patriots Mid-West experiment has run its course. Every single team has to deal with COVID. Unless half the team winds up on the COVID list throughout the season, it is hard to justify anything less than a 7-9 season. 

• Like 1