Week 1 GDT: Texans @ Chiefs

lumberjackchris

Settle down guys lol. 

KC is really effin good. They played into Feb. Brought everyone back. Oh and are the Super Bowl Champs.

Yes we looked rusty and bad. Most teams not named the Chiefs will. It’s one game, and not the end of the world. Now if we don’t start to see improvement from the line and the LB’s after 2-3 games then can worry.

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Settle down guys lol. 

KC is really effin good. They played into Feb. Brought everyone back. Oh and are the Super Bowl Champs.

Yes we looked rusty and bad. Most teams not named the Chiefs will. It’s one game, and not the end of the world. Now if we don’t start to see improvement from the line and the LB’s after 2-3 games then can worry.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, they shut us down cause they have a really fast secondary. If anything, Watson was smart to not force the INT other than that one play, which wasn't really his fault, the blocking assignments were all wrong (come on, Fells?). 

My only issue with that game was the tackling, which I believe will improve and the very vanilla play calling. I am concerned about the offense clicking right now, hoping it is just cause they need time to gel. Still a chance of 15-1 (well... 1% chance)

12 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

I understand that, and I'd be OK if we looked competetive - we didn't, at all. Outside of that first drive, nothing about this team seemed competetive.

Losing this game was a foregone conclusion. How we lost is incredibly concerning.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I understand that, and I'd be OK if we looked competetive - we didn't, at all. Outside of that first drive, nothing about this team seemed competetive.

Losing this game was a foregone conclusion. How we lost is incredibly concerning.

Agreed. I don’t like how unmotivated we seemed coming out of the gate. Which is on OB and DW. If Murray comes up with that pick in the 2nd and/or Kiaimi makes that FG before half it’s a whole different ball game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Agreed. I don’t like how unmotivated we seemed coming out of the gate. Which is on OB and DW. If Murray comes up with that pick in the 2nd and/or Kiaimi makes that FG before half it’s a whole different ball game.

I think that's one of my takeaways - when the team doesn't perform well, it's just as much on Watson as it is BoB.

Before you argue - Watson is now the 2nd highest paid player in NFL HISTORY. The equation changes when you're in this category, you're no longer able to say "well, he doesn't have an OL" or "his WRs were doing him no favors" or "coaching let him down". When you're making $40mm/year, the buck stops with you - as a player, you need to make plays to hide the deficiencies of the team, not play down to your teammates. This loss is expected, and blame is just as much on how good KC is as well as how bad we we were. The lack of competetive performance? That is heavily on Watson.

I'll say this - of those that failed on Thursday, I have the greatest faith of Watson turning it around. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think that's one of my takeaways - when the team doesn't perform well, it's just as much on Watson as it is BoB.

Before you argue - Watson is now the 2nd highest paid player in NFL HISTORY. The equation changes when you're in this category, you're no longer able to say "well, he doesn't have an OL" or "his WRs were doing him no favors" or "coaching let him down". When you're making $40mm/year, the buck stops with you - as a player, you need to make plays to hide the deficiencies of the team, not play down to your teammates. This loss is expected, and blame is just as much on how good KC is as well as how bad we we were. The lack of competetive performance? That is heavily on Watson.

I'll say this - of those that failed on Thursday, I have the greatest faith of Watson turning it around. 

Cunningham was bafflingly bad on Thursday. I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around that one. Dude didn’t look like he belonged on an NFL field. 

definately looked, for one game anyway, that we miscalculated in choosing to pay him and not Reader. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cunningham was bafflingly bad on Thursday. I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around that one. Dude didn’t look like he belonged on an NFL field. 

Agree - as someone who is on "Team Zach" as a fan, I was completely baffled as to why Cunningham looked so bad. He was completely botching tackles and was worthless in coverage.

If this is how Cunningham is post contract, that's going to be a tough deal to swallow. But, I am going to credit it to a great KC team along with a bad job preparing for this opponent by BoB and Weaver...

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Agree - as someone who is on "Team Zach" as a fan, I was completely baffled as to why Cunningham looked so bad. He was completely botching tackles and was worthless in coverage.

If this is how Cunningham is post contract, that's going to be a tough deal to swallow. But, I am going to credit it to a great KC team along with a bad job preparing for this opponent by BoB and Weaver...

We’ve watched bob constantly be unprepared for big games so there’s little hope but I’m trying to believe that the lack of pre season is to blame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We’ve watched bob constantly be unprepared for big games so there’s little hope but I’m trying to believe that the lack of pre season is to blame. 

A lot of Cunningham's flaws were technique - didn't get low enough on his tackle attempts, was grabbing instead of wrapping up, etc. So, it's not a stretch to think it's a lack of a preseason.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

A lot of Cunningham's flaws were technique - didn't get low enough on his tackle attempts, was grabbing instead of wrapping up, etc. So, it's not a stretch to think it's a lack of a preseason.

That’s exactly what I think it is. Camp the way OB probably ran it didn’t help anyone. It’s going to take 2ish games of live bullets flying to start to round into game shape and kicked the rust off 

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

That’s exactly what I think it is. Camp the way OB probably ran it didn’t help anyone. It’s going to take 2ish games of live bullets flying to start to round into game shape and kicked the rust off 

At least our first two games are Ls even under the best of circumstances. It’s almost like we get a pre season