Week 1- Bucs @ Saints

ravishingone

I know i havent been on this site for a while but i just got to say my takeaways of the game

1: DON'T OVERREACT, First game brady has no prior experience with any of these guys besides gronk so of course he needs to time to gel with these guys, and with the more aggressive playcalling in the 2nd half he looked much better.

2: We killed out selves with those flags and the dumb stuff that happened on the kickoff, if we can stop killing ourselves we can be in games alot more.

3:Fournette will be the starter by week 5, he needs to be the starter for sure he can handle the multiple runs in a row and will be a good role player this year

4: DONOVAN SMITH IS GARBAGE, Why did we extend this guy he is soooo bad, the backup DE beat him more than jordan did to wirfs (who didnt look bad at all this game)

5:Our LBs are the best in the league, our defense as a whole looked decent on alot of basic plays, the unique plays really took us off guard 

6: I think with time Brady will gel and become the player we all know he can be and i hope we can get a win next game

ps: Some of these play calls need to never come back, like TE screens, we also need to see more slants across the middle of the field we barely saw that, maybe if our OL can hold for longer than .7 seconds brady can throw those.

Edited by djw4bucs
  • Like 1

The defense is easily the most encouraging thing to come out of this game. David and White were absolute animals in the middle of the field and aside from Dean taking a play off and Whitehead's idiotic DPI, the secondary was fantastic all day. 

Offensively, this had to be expected, no matter how hyped up we all got. The only real *bad* play was Brady's pick six, which he simply cannot throw (better yet, get that friggin' play out of the playbook, it never works). Even then, Brady looks to be good to go on the deep balls, even the ones called for DPI were right on the money, if those are caught, he's easily got over 300 yards in the air. Once he starts to develop actual chemistry with Evans and Godwin, the offense should be prolific, even with Donovan Smith's useless ***. The running game is how I expected, I just wish Leftwich wouldn't call a handoff on *every* 1st down. 

Special teams? Good lord. This has been an issue forever and for some reason we can never solve it. Mike Edwards needs to be cut, don't care. Inexcusable play. 

Edited by eggybucsfan31

7 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

The defense is easily the most encouraging thing to come out of this game. David and White were absolute animals in the middle of the field and aside from Dean taking a play off and Whitehead's idiotic DPI, the secondary was fantastic all day. 

Offensively, this had to be expected, no matter how hyped up we all got. The only real *bad* play was Brady's pick six, which he simply cannot throw (better yet, get that friggin' play out of the playbook, it never works). Even then, Brady looks to be good to go on the deep balls, even the ones called for DPI were right on the money, if those are caught, he's easily got over 300 yards in the air. Once he starts to develop actual chemistry with Evans and Godwin, the offense should be prolific, even with Donovan Smith's useless ***. The running game is how I expected, I just wish Leftwich wouldn't call a handoff on *every* 1st down. 

Special teams? Good lord. This has been an issue forever and for some reason we can never solve it. Mike Edwards needs to be cut, don't care. Inexcusable play. 

Whitehead and Dean def cost us points yesterday. Whitehead had 2 other Bucs around him and felt the need to grab Sanders....just frustrating. 

I try not get overly giddy about rookies because of the Bucs long track record of player s career cut short by injury, but Winfield was really impressive.  A lot of credit goes to him because the Saints got zip intermediate or deep over the middle.  Please stay healthy because Winfield has a chance to be special.

Felt good to be able to actually sit down and watch the game live for once. Some of my thoughts:

1. The secondary overall played outstanding. The saints have some of the best weapons in the league and have had core group together for several years, so being able to holkd them in check is definitely an accomplishment. Loved seeing them challenging the WRs/TEs. I can handle a couple DPI's when you're being that aggressive (although the Whitehead one was inexcusable). I only expect their ascent to continue. Especially loved what I saw from Winfield in his 1st game, he was constantly around the ball...

2. The combo of David and White was fantastic. looked like they'd been playing together for 10 years. They compliment each other well and are some of the most rangy LB's I can remember...

3. The offense looked rusty to say the least. I fully expected this with essentially no off-season or live game action. Timing will come...

4. Arians has to get the penalties cleaned up. No excuse for 9 penalties (especially the neutral zone penalties from the DL). We were the most penalized team last year and this has to change. It's gonna continue to cost us games... 

5. Special teams continues to be our Achilles...

It was a great game where I wasn't feeling comfortable with the score until the final 4 or so minutes.  The Bucs defense is legit and will be a pain in the rematch later in the year I'm sure.  Here's to a good season for both teams going forward with only minor injuries if any.  Though of course with the Saints winning the NFC...

with some aftermath thoughts

i dont feel so bad

our D SHUT DOWN Thomas

if we would have cleaned up some penalties on D their offense wouldnt have done anything

on another note

we should really take a look at moving Wirfs to LT and Don Trash to RT

cant have TB12 being afraid of his blindside and Smith was a turnstile yesterday