GDT 9/13/20 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Cleveland Browns

DreamKid

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

Edit: It still took Yanda 3 years to really break out, so we also have to be patient somehow.

I don’t agree. I remember Yanda being above average at RT the first season he played after Adam Terry went down.

His second season he was beasting at guard, looked better than 1st round pick Ben Grubbs, until he got injured.

So really all this to say I think it mainly took three years for him to “break out” because he was out of position the first season (like Ogden) and then injured in the second after he started off very strong. Otherwise he surely would’ve been THAT dude in year two. I remember posting about how I thought he was better than Grubbs at guard in year two... and then he got hurt.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t agree. I remember Yanda being above average at RT the first season he played after Adam Terry went down.

His second season he was beasting at guard, looked better than 1st round pick Ben Grubbs, until he got injured.

So really all this to say I think it mainly took three years for him to “break out” because he was out of position the first season (like Ogden) and then injured in the second after he started off very strong. Otherwise he surely would’ve been THAT dude in year two. I remember posting about how I thought he was better than Grubbs at guard in year two... and then he got hurt.

I think my point still stands. And regarding the 3 years, I mentioned it as Yanda himself talked about how he was in and out of the lineup his first years and then got injured which he hadn't tried before. Then he came in at RG and settled and became the player we know.

The same thing could be the case for Bozeman, who was a center in college. If Skura leaves after the season for a bigger contract, we move Boze to his "natural" position and he suddenly elevates his game. That would leave the left guard spot open for Bredeson/Powers as they both played that position in college, and we suddenly have some players who have matured and takes the next step. I am open to that type of development regarding our "need" for offensive line players in the draft.

20 minutes ago, Danand said:

I think my point still stands. And regarding the 3 years, I mentioned it as Yanda himself talked about how he was in and out of the lineup his first years and then got injured which he hadn't tried before. Then he came in at RG and settled and became the player we know.

The same thing could be the case for Bozeman, who was a center in college. If Skura leaves after the season for a bigger contract, we move Boze to his "natural" position and he suddenly elevates his game. That would leave the left guard spot open for Bredeson/Powers as they both played that position in college, and we suddenly have some players who have matured and takes the next step. I am open to that type of development regarding our "need" for offensive line players in the draft.

I get what your point was about development, I’m simply disagreeing with the comparison to Yanda as being relevant. Yanda showed in his limited opportunities to be a dude as soon as he got his chance inside. It didn’t take three years. It happened in year two. I’m not disagreeing that these guys can’t improve, I’m disagreeing with the idea that their situations are relevant to Yanda.

A more relevant example might be someone like Jason Brown or Ryan Jensen, but even in those cases those guys had far less NFL snaps under their belt to prove their worth than a guy like Bozeman. But to your credit, if Bozeman switches over to center he could benefit like Jensen was able to upon making that transition. It’s simply highly unlikely such a switch would provide as great a boost to his performance as a switch from OT to OG. There is plenty of precedence for such improvements from guys moving inside, but there are far less of guys improving at center over OG. Heck even with Jensen he looked pretty good in games at OG when he got the opportunities so it’s quite possible he would’ve been equally good at OG as at center.

Again, don’t disagree with the hope of some of these guys improving, particularly Tyre Phillips considering his youth and inexperience (I think he will actually be good, not as good as KO, but on just a ***** below), but I have very little hope for such with Boseman. Typically guys who play as many snaps as he has have been able to flash their abilities at this point. Boseman has never looked like a dominant or even great option inside.

I just don't recall Yanda being that good, that we thought we had a great player until he played a full season at RG, but maybe my memory is wrong.

We haven't seen enough of Bredeson, Powers, Mekari, Phillips to say anything about their upside. I think we have seen enough of Bozeman and Skura to say, that they can be steady Eddies for several years, but not as good as you would want your oline to be. 

Watching the Bengals game, I get more and more confident about my stance, that building the oline has got to be the primary objective either before you get your franchise QB, or after you think you have him. That also means upgrading the positions, even though you have starters that are "good enough". We might potentially see Dolphins, Jets, Bengals waste 2-3 or more years of the cheap rookie QB contract, and then have to try and win once they extend them and pay them franchise QB money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I just don't recall Yanda being that good, that we thought we had a great player until he played a full season at RG, but maybe my memory is wrong.

We haven't seen enough of Bredeson, Powers, Mekari, Phillips to say anything about their upside. I think we have seen enough of Bozeman and Skura to say, that they can be steady Eddies for several years, but not as good as you would want your oline to be. 

Watching the Bengals game, I get more and more confident about my stance, that building the oline has got to be the primary objective either before you get your franchise QB, or after you think you have him. That also means upgrading the positions, even though you have starters that are "good enough". We might potentially see Dolphins, Jets, Bengals waste 2-3 or more years of the cheap rookie QB contract, and then have to try and win once they extend them and pay them franchise QB money.

I love you @diamondbull424 but gotta agree with @Danand here as his version aligns with Ken McKusicks recount of Yandas early career (he’s done quite a bit of retrospective discussion of him this offseason). 

Yeah, Yanda wasn't the force he became that early. He needed time to settle in at G after all the switching around he did early in his career.

Hell, I remember the first play of our 2010 season being Yanda at RT completely failing to even get a hand on the Jets DE and Joe getting crushed and losing a fumble, lol.

Yanda didn't become Yanda until late 2010/early 2011ish IMO.

Edited by Ray Reed

8 hours ago, Danand said:

Hi there

We can be pretty tough on some of you guys, but when fans come in and say "hi, good game", we are usually pretty level headed.

I don't think you want to read all the pages on our gameday thread, but we especially noticed Larry Ogunjobi being a force. Nick Chubb has as many fans in this fan forum as he does in yours and we recognize the talent on the Browns - it has to fit together somehow though, that seems to be the struggle you guys have to live with this year. It can still be special if it comes together.

That OBJ character you guys have, I don't know if it is just horrible body language, but I don't think he does anything good for your team. I don't know if Browns fans feel the same, but I would not like it as a fan.

Obj part of the problem if you get paid 24,000,000 a year you are expected to catch 

2yard catches flawlessly.

Stefanski had 6 months and 7 pro bowlers on offense that scored 6points

grade f.

The thing I hate the most Baltimore out played us in every way.

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Also - good game from my doghoused-OLB Mr. Tyus Bowser. Had a nice PD and a sack - sack was honestly more of a coverage sack but the guy is producing, let's keep it up Tyus! 😝

Ferg had a Sack too, but it got wiped out by an accepted penalty. Judon was underwhelming and weirdly in coverage, like..a lot. McPhee was stout against the rush. Ward seems improved from last year and brought some noticeable energy.

• Like 1