GDT 9/13/20 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Cleveland Browns

DreamKid

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

There was one play in the game, want to say 1st or 2nd quarter, where Washington legit pushed his olineman like 4-5 yards deep in the backfield and completely blew up a run.

Was impressive. Hopefully Madubuike is back by the Chiefs game.

Yes, he absolutely did. I remember the play and remember saying to myself "wow". He had a few flashes but some lowlights too. Very raw talent. 

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

We talked about Jihard Ward showing up. On the big hit on Hunt by DeShon Elliot, Ward first beat the block by the wide receiver, then pushes the lead blocking tackle back AND make the first tackle on Hunt before Elliot puts in the finishing move.

Was it just me or were we using Jihad Ward as an OLB for a lot of that game? I saw 53 on the edge multiple times.

Washington sometimes gets a lot of push, but unfortunately in this game, he could have had 3 tackles on the runningback if he managed to disengage and wrap up or make an arm tackle. Three times in the second half he is in position to get a tackle in the backfield, but the runningback goes right by him. Reason for optimism though

What's so crazy is all of these Rookie contributions came from Rookies playing in their first ever game... No preseason, not even our routine joint practices, nothing. 

You can really tell Harbaugh has changed too. We're not seeing as much defaulting to veterans as we have in the past. I mean Tyre Phillips going from College Tackle to our starting RG with no experience is pretty crazy when you think about it. That's not a move Harbaugh signs off on even just a couple years ago. He's also greatly evolved as a personality curator. When he first showed up he literally had to be convinced to let Ray do his entrance dance.., and there was just a general disconnect between how he wanted our players to act with how the franchise had previously encouraged players to be themselves/let loose. The dude has changed, call it survival instinct if you want, but we went from the old Harbaugh to him now wearing Lamar and Hollywood's chains on the sidelines. 

• Like 3

Malik Harrison had one of the most egregious errors on the day, failing to set the edge on a big Nick Chubb run(lined up at SAM IIRC). Yet he has a 74.7 grade. Compare that to- Marcus Peters- 52.9 Marlon Humphrey- 59.0 Calais Campbell- 73.2 Tyus Bowser- 60.1 Patrick Queen- 45.9 Chuck Clark- 61.4 Matt Judon- 56.4. It's just weird. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What's so crazy is all of these Rookie contributions came from Rookies playing in their first ever game... No preseason, not even our routine joint practices, nothing. 

You can really tell Harbaugh has changed too. We're not seeing as much defaulting to veterans as we have in the past. I mean Tyre Phillips going from College Tackle to our starting RG with no experience is pretty crazy when you think about it. That's not a move Harbaugh signs off on even just a couple years ago. He's also greatly evolved as a personality curator. When he first showed up he literally had to be convinced to let Ray do his entrance dance.., and there was just a general disconnect between how he wanted our players to act with how the franchise had previously encouraged players to be themselves/let loose. The dude has changed, call it survival instinct if you want, but we went from the old Harbaugh to him now wearing Lamar and Hollywood's chains on the sidelines. 

There was a great piece in The Athletic during the off-season about Harbaugh's evolution into being more of a "player's coach". 

He said it took him until about 2012 before he learnt that he didn't have to control everything and everyone to be successful, and that allowing the players to be able to express themselves would lead to happier players and better performances.  Harbaugh also said that seeing the more collaborative way his daughter was being coached in HS helped him ti change his coaching style

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Malik Harrison had one of the most egregious errors on the day, failing to set the edge on a big Nick Chubb run(lined up at SAM IIRC). Yet he has a 74.7 grade. Compare that to- Marcus Peters- 52.9 Marlon Humphrey- 59.0 Calais Campbell- 73.2 Tyus Bowser- 60.1 Patrick Queen- 45.9 Chuck Clark- 61.4 Matt Judon- 56.4. It's just weird. 

Other PFF work-

Notice anyone familiar 🤣

15 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I think that's mostly the way he was used last year too. A big EDGE. 

I was watching the game a little sporatically, but when I saw Ward on the sideline he looked like he trimmed down a bit. He didn't quite have Bowser's physique, but he looked more like an OLB than the EDGE-DL tweener he was coming out.

Anyone know anything about this?

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I was watching the game a little sporatically, but when I saw Ward on the sideline he looked like he trimmed down a bit. He didn't quite have Bowser's physique, but he looked more like an OLB than the EDGE-DL tweener he was coming out.

Anyone know anything about this?

He's definitely down from the 290+ he was at pre draft, but I'm sure he's still pretty heavy for the position. Just happens to carry it really well. Probably has some super dense muscle on him. Dude is a freak athlete for sure-

Bowser is funny too. I think we've watched that kids' triceps get bigger and bigger every season lol.

What really struck me about Ward during the game was both how twitchy he looked and how he appeared to be wearing a sleeveless hoodie underneath his jersey and pads. Interesting choice for sure. Seeing as how that might've been his best game as a Raven though, I hope he continues the trend.

• Like 1