Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

The revenge tour starts less than a week! The season kind of crept up with no preseason and the NBA playoffs going on, but I can't wait for the season to get started. The first game we play against our new nemesis in Kyler Murray and the Cardinals. Obviously they are a popular pick from the outsiders to make a similar jump to what we did last season. I think the game will be tough and come down to the 4th quarter like the two meetings last season. There are a lot of uncertainties in who will even play at WR. Deebo and Aiyuk are our top two WRs and both are questionable to play at this point. If they can't go, then looks like Bourne/Pettis/Taylor will be our starters. Either way, even if Deebo and/or Aiyuk are a go, I expect a heavy dosage of Kittle and Reed. The Cardinals drafted someone they are hoping to be able to cover Kittle in Simmons, but I don't see that happening in week 1. 

Defensively, it goes without saying we have to get to Murray and get him down when there is an opportunity to do so. The quick passing style and his mobility were a problem for the DL last year. Ford has to be a go this week as he is really the only one with the speed to be able to chase down Murray. And then of course, you have Fred Warner who is still in the Covid-19 protocol. Luckily we are deep at LB, but Warner is just different compared to the rest of the guys. Hopkins is going to line up on the left side often so he will see a lot of Moseley. You aren't going to stop him, but hopefully we are able to limit the big plays. Drake was also a huge problem for us and I think he will have another good game. 

I expect a competitive game until the 4th quarter where we make some big plays offensively and make a key stop.

SF 30 AZ 20

• Like 3

I'm interesting to see the personnel packages deployed by Kingsbury on offense. I like that he's going against the grain, and just utilizing 10 personnel sets, and spreading things out like it's college ball. Hopefully, it's not at the 49ers expense. 

No fans at Levi's Stadium will be weird. Can't wait. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Not a game I feel at all comfortable with, but last year we had some weird things going on for both games against them. I think both were on short weeks for us (one of which was thursday on the road), one we were missing Kittle and had that awful start. It's not a fun matchup, but in the end, I'm simply relying on the talent disparity. I think from an overall roster base, we simply have more of it. I think 30-20 sounds like a good score, J. 

Fun notes - 

Last year, the 49ers faced 62 wide receiver and tight end screens last year, no other team faced more than 43. Obviously Arizona loves that stuff, and it's not our bread and butter to defend, but wow, that's some crazy disparity. 

Only the Vikings faced defenses in base personnel more than the 49ers (not surprising given that we play Seattle twice who is in their base defense the most in the NFL and we run so much 12 and 21 personnel)

The 49ers had a positive DVOA in all offensive formations except 1. The 49ers were a negative 30% dvoa when they were in 12 personnel. That's insane how important a competent full back is to this offense. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good news, but now we wait on Garland, Deebo, Aiyuk and Warner.

Kind of amazing how many injury concerns we have....before we have even played one game lol.

That's why I never understand when people basically pooh pooh the injury concerns for prospects coming out of college. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

That's why I never understand when people basically pooh pooh the injury concerns for prospects coming out of college. 

I definitely didn’t with Deebo. That’s why I didn’t want us to take him last year. Bosa is a different story, it was so obvious to me that he was going to be a game wrecker, that to me was definitely worth the risk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Its definitely warranted. Alot of kids who can't stay healthy in college have those same issues as pros. There are examples for and against. Its a legitimate concern imo. Especially for lineman. Bosa made it through one season. I'm not about to count him as one of the success stories just yet.

6 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I definitely didn’t with Deebo. That’s why I didn’t want us to take him last year. Bosa is a different story, it was so obvious to me that he was going to be a game wrecker, that to me was definitely worth the risk.

It's a risk / reward thing. The injuries should definitely hit them, but sometimes the talent is so great that it doesn't matter. Like, Bosa should have been the pick in the draft even with the injury concerns. Deebo could have never been graded as a first rounder for me because of the injury concerns, but I was fine taking in the second. Same thing with Shenault this year; never understood the first round thing from him. First round talent, of course, but factoring in the injuries, he's got to have a lower grade for me. 

Was never a fan of the Street pick, didn't care much for him in college, so I'm not bullish on him moving forward (he was brutal in action in preseason last year), but all the reports from camp were effusive with praise. After the seeing the affect that Kocurek had on AA, I'm hopeful he can unlock something similar with Street, even though they are very different players. 

• Like 3

I think a big reason why Injury concerns get poo-poo'd is because it's not something that has clear projections and results. There have been guys who come into the league with what appears to be a clean bill of health and then they can't stay on the field the second they get here. inverse has been true before. But to me, it's absolutely something you HAVE to consider with a prospect. I was openly not a huge Deebo fan, but I felt concrete in that opinion given his health concerns. 

It's 100% risk/reward but it also comes down to the competency and confidence of the health/training staff too. 

• Like 1