Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Oh, I get it! You guys are including me so that it's not a one-sided conversation and because you feel bad that I'm all lonely in the Cardinals forum!

Here before the bandwagon.

As far as Arizona goes, I'm really just interested to see how things go. The Cardinals training camp was locked up tight. I believe there was less media access to Cards camp than any other in the NFL, if I'm not mistaken, which is a shame, because they're built to be big-time off-season favorites and instead were only kind of popular.

Nuk should completely change the dynamic of the offense. I'm also interested to see if Chris Steveler is active and if he gets utilized by Kliff after making the roster and taking a spot that could have gone to someone like last year's surprise corner Chris Jones, Ken Webster, BW Webb, or DJ Foster.

We already cut Evan Weaver, our LB draft pick out of Cal. We have what should be a strong LB corps, though, with Simmons playing a Swiss Army role. According to our staff, he's not a starter. Jordan Hicks (led league in tackles last year) and FA addition DeVondre Campbell will be our starting ILBs, and Campbell is first in line for coverage duties. Still, we have a variety of options for dealing with weapons over the middle of the field. Budda Baker did a really good job covering TEs last season, and has really picked up exactly where Tyrann Mathieu left off when he left AZ, which makes sense because Budda's pre-draft comp was... Tyrann Mathieu. Except Budda is more athletic than Mathieu.

Campbell is good for splash plays, and was one of the few bright spots on Atlanta's D last year. He could be a break-out candidate. Then, of course, you have Isaiah Simmons, who could be a special talent. Byron Murphy is natural in the slot. It was trial by fire for him last year, but he had some nice performances surprisingly shutting down some top-tier NFL WRs that I've previously written about.

The main thing to watch in this game is the San Francisco Offense versus the Arizona Defense, especially in the middle of the field. Just so many intriguing matchups, and Keim did a great job of giving Vance Joseph a variety of weapons there, in my opinion. I mean, Jalen Thompson, Budda Baker, Isaiah Simmons, DeVondre Campbell, Byron Murphy, or Jordan Hicks could be covering someone on any given play, which is huge. We aren't stuck with a bunch of running-game role-players anymore. And Kyle Shanahan LOVES to attack the middle of the field. As far as our run D goes, Corey Peters is great. All three of Zach Allen, Leki Fotu, and Rashard Lawrence have tons of potential on the DL. Jordan Phillips has size, but he's just average against the run. Hicks was great against the run, as was Baker. I still think the running game is a mismatch with the 9ers having an advantage, but Joseph will try to tempt Shanahan into attacking with a short passing game.

On offense, we really still have no idea what it will look like for Arizona. Nuk completely shifts the pecking order on offense, though, and the addition of Kelvin Beachum should also be huge. We'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Budda Baker did a really good job covering TEs last season

lol this cant be true. You guys were the worst team at covering the TE by a large margin last year

fantasy TE stream of the week last year... whoever was playing the cardinals

I mean, ross dewelly had 100+ and 2 TDs against you guys the second time, if memory serves

According to our staff, Simmons is not a starter.

this cant be true either lol smoke and mirrors? 

I still think the running game is a mismatch with the 9ers having an advantage, but Joseph will try to tempt Shanahan into attacking with a short passing game.

How do you expect your rush defense to be on the edges? We obviously run a lot of stretch plays. I am actually starting my rewatch of our two games last year right now, but both games were before we really started giving mostert a lot of run in our offense. He wasnt playing much at that point in the season, so I am wondering how we will try and attack you with him. I really cant see us only giving him 5ish carries.

Our RBs should be wide open in the passing game out of the backfield. There should be space in the flats and on texas routes

You might crowd the middle, but we might be sneaky good throwing the ball down the field. Garoppolo tore you guys up last year, it really raised his bulk stats for the season (lol) but I really expect him to be a lot better throwing down the field this year, and aiyuk, if hes healthy, is a legit deep threat

I have a horrible feeling about this game. Just feels like you guys are going to jump out to a lead, but I trust my guys to fight back

Edited by N4L

5 hours ago, N4L said:

lol this cant be true. You guys were the worst team at covering the TE by a large margin last year

fantasy TE stream of the week last year... whoever was playing the cardinals

I mean, ross dewelly had 100+ and 2 TDs against you guys the second time, if memory serves

this cant be true either lol smoke and mirrors? 

How do you expect your rush defense to be on the edges? We obviously run a lot of stretch plays. I am actually starting my rewatch of our two games last year right now, but both games were before we really started giving mostert a lot of run in our offense. He wasnt playing much at that point in the season, so I am wondering how we will try and attack you with him. I really cant see us only giving him 5ish carries.

Our RBs should be wide open in the passing game out of the backfield. There should be space in the flats and on texas routes

You might crowd the middle, but we might be sneaky good throwing the ball down the field. Garoppolo tore you guys up last year, it really raised his bulk stats for the season (lol) but I really expect him to be a lot better throwing down the field this year, and aiyuk, if hes healthy, is a legit deep threat

I have a horrible feeling about this game. Just feels like you guys are going to jump out to a lead, but I trust my guys to fight back

Budda isn't/wasn't asked to regularly cover TEs. He attacked the line of scrimmage on basically an every-down basis. We had freaking Haason Reddick and Joe Walker covering TEs. Reddick played freaking 3-tech defensive tackle in college. And Joe Walker isn't even on the team. Jordan Hicks also had an uneven season last year when he WAS asked to cover, but that wasn't regularly his assignment and he was great in coverage as an Eagle, so there's some optimism he could be not-terrible if he's given coverage duties.

And yeah. Simmons supposedly isn't starting. Hicks and DeVondre Campbell are the two starting ILBs. Hicks is the veteran leader and Campbell is assuming Mike duties. I imagine this is so they can move Simmons around. 

Run D on the edges wasn't great last year. Chandler Jones is a monster in all phases of the game, but everyone else kind of sucked. I mean, Budda is great against perimeter runs and a very physical and fast player, but guys like Rodney Gunter and Jonathan Bullard were tubs of goo. We added Devon Kennard, who's basically an average starter in every facet of the game, to play edge across from Chandler Jones, so that should be an improvement. Isaiah Simmons is supposedly going to be playing some off the line at the edge, and I imagine his range will be a big deal for this run D, but once you get your hands on him he's basically out of the play. We have like six new starters on defense, plus Simmons, so I really can't make any projections based off of last year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I hope Aiyuk is a go for this weekend. I'm buying into the hype now.

Since 1997 he's covered the team I believe. So Aiyuk has looked better than...hmm...well the benchmark of wide receivers in that time span as rookies he would have seen isn't high. Better than Crabtree and Lloyd I guess. And now Samus. 

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Since 1997 he's covered the team I believe. So Aiyuk has looked better than...hmm...well the benchmark of wide receivers in that time span as rookies he would have seen isn't high. Better than Crabtree and Lloyd I guess. And now Samus. 

Pretty sure Maiocco covered the 94 SB team as he always mentions how that was the most talented team he has ever covered/seen in person. 

15 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I hope Aiyuk is a go for this weekend. I'm buying into the hype now.

I may be wrong, but don't think he's practicing yet, so I'd imagine that he's unlikely to go. The injury report is due today, so we will see where we stand. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I may be wrong, but don't think he's practicing yet, so I'd imagine that he's unlikely to go. The injury report is due today, so we will see where we stand. 

Really? Thought  he had returned to practice yesterday. Sucks if he hasn't started practicing yet. The struggle is going to be real without Deebo and Aiyuk lol

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Really? Thought  he had returned to practice yesterday. Sucks if he hasn't started practicing yet. The struggle is going to be real without Deebo and Aiyuk lol

Is it me, or does anyone else think Shannahan is just milking the 'secrecy' angle? Which is smart, I mean we are not tipping our hand at all, that includes the availability of our current injured players. I believe both Deebo and Aiyuk will play in this game and that Shannahan isnt gonna provide that information until game day.

Not having a pre-season and not providing any additional information really leaves teams in the dark as far as week#1 preparation.....I think this is in our favor

• Like 2