Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, mw2noobbuster said:

But how much is his "competency" just Shanahan scheming wide open receivers? It just seems all of Jimmy's completions are to wide open receivers in space. 

Oh, I think a good chunk of it. LIS earlier, I don't know if there's a difference if you take Jimmy off this team and replace him with Derek Carr, and if Carr bombs this season, he's out in Vegas for sure. I mean, just on a pure statistical level, Mullens stats looked great. So it's really hard to point to JImmy's stats to try and convince anyone that he's a good quarterback. 

If there is a team who's situation would allow them to try and money ball the quarterback position, it's probably us. I don't know that there's much of a difference. I just don't think that we would ever do it in a super bowl window. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

I don’t know what are options are going forward. Jimmy is an NFL starting QB, but to @Forge point, just not sure if he’s a good one. 

Do we draft someone next year?

If we had more picks this year, I probably would have drafted Eason in the middle rounds to try and groom. I definitely think that you have to draft someone next year if only to sit them a year and adjust them to the NFL and learn the playbook, which could be tough. There is not a good answer here. 

HOnestly, best answer is that someone like Detroit bombs, gets the first pick and is willing to trade Stafford. That's seriously probably it. 

3 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Is that something worth paying 27 million for though? He played like three games in New England. 

Well, it wasn't just that. It was his 5 game sample where he played out of his mind with scrubs. 49ers were desperate for a QB, and at the time he looked like the next best thing. They couldn't let him slip away. Like Shanahan said himself, you have to overpay for everybody. And that's even if you know what you have. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, Forge said:

If we had more picks this year, I probably would have drafted Eason in the middle rounds to try and groom. I definitely think that you have to draft someone next year if only to sit them a year and adjust them to the NFL and learn the playbook, which could be tough. There is not a good answer here. 

HOnestly, best answer is that someone like Detroit bombs, gets the first pick and is willing to trade Stafford. That's seriously probably it. 

Yeah, Jimmy G is basically Andy Dalton 2.0. He’s going to be the Dalton line now

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well, it wasn't just that. It was his 5 game sample where he played out of his mind with scrubs. 49ers were desperate for a QB, and at the time he looked like the next best thing. They couldn't let him slip away.  

Yeah, there’s a little more nuance than it being his NE stint.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I suppose we could sign Dak, tbh. I think he's better than Jimmy. Not sure how much better and you just know he's cashing in this year, so that's not ideal. The Colts would crush us an offer though.