Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

31 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

So lets say the Niners season goes really off the rails and they win Trevor Lawrence wouldn't that lead them to a starting plan at QB?

There's no way this can or will happen. Even if Jimmy gets hurt, Nick Mullens is probably good enough to keep the team out of the #1 overall pick. This is just not a reasonable thing to me. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was reluctant to get onto this site yesterday. I was more disappointed than angry about the game. But, the more I thought about the whole thing, the more I'm frustrated with the offensive game plan more so than Jimmy (Jimmy still deserves blame though).

We go into this game with a PS center, without our top two WRs, and it's Jet's, Taylor's, Reed's, and Williams' first game back in a long time. Oh and a limit on Coleman because of health reasons. So, we're kind of limping into this game, but we still have weapons and an elite, creative offense scheme. 

So, what happens next? A bland, disjointed attack that avoids Kittle. I get not wanting to show your full hand, but there was very little creativity to get Kittle in space. I really liked how we utilized our RB's in the passing game, but we only ran like 1 or 2 screens. When the game was on the line, we barely went to Kittle. I get it that the Cards are trying to lock Kittle down so he doesn't win the game for us, but why didn't we target Reed more often? Get creative with Juice? 

It feels like we were willing to punt this win.

You were wise to stay away during gametime. 

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You were wise to stay away during gametime. 

Yeah, I don't need to read the sky is falling after one game. Let's remember how easily we could've lost a bunch of games last year and got out by the skin of our teeth (Steelers & Seahawks). 

Reading morning-after posts of trading for OBJ or Matt Stafford is pretty funny though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd sell the farm for Matt Stafford at this point. I think he's a far better quarterback...stuck in a miserable situation for largely the entirety of his career. I don't think he's had enough opportunity in "big" moments, and not all the lost "big" moments were his fault (like today where Swift just dropped the ball). But he's talented enough to push this team over the top. Does he have "it"? I dunno. You don't have a lot of options, otherwise. Also depends on who wins Trevor Lawrence. If by some miracle it's Detroit? Yes, I put in a call to trade for Stafford. If its the Jags, do you put in a call on Minshew? I think that's kind of pushing it. Do you sign Nick Foles and let him compete? I don't know what that answer is. I suppose if you're stuck with these types of quarterbacks who are all somewhat "qb purgatory", the answer is to take the cheapest one and try to build the best team around him with more space. Clearly these guys can get to the super bowl; Foles won one, and Denver won one with the corpse of Manning, so they are winnable. 

Shanny's play calls are hit and miss (sometimes). Mainly in a specific setting (red zone, end of half). I think he needs to be more aggressive at some points, but I didn't have any problems with the playcalling in the super bowl at the end. The only one I think where a legitimate argument can be made that he should have done something different was the 2nd and 5 (I think it was 2nd and 5) where he passed it. You can argue that with the way we were running the ball in that game, that 100% should have been a run. But that was the only play call in the 4th quarter I had major issues with. 

Oh my goodness. Matt Stafford is not the equalizer my friend. Ugggh, just no. 

He's been with three head coaches, and has largely been the same player. And it's not like he hasn't had weapons. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Well, its week one. They were eventually going to beat us as they played us close last year.

I kinda wished Bourne would of attacked that ball throw to him instead of wait. Maybe we get a DPI call there but oh well.

Good thing we get the Jets, Giants and Eagles next. Not too worried about these teams.

Jimmy was so/so of course but I'll wait till we get Deebo and Aiyuk back before I ask when will we cut him...

The Eagles will be an interesting match up. The Jets definitely shouldn't be a problem, nor should the giants. 

There's really no reason to be down on the team after yesterday. Not every team has their very own Happy, Hopping, Hobbit, and when you can't move around, this defense will eat you alive. 

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh my goodness. Matt Stafford is not the equalizer my friend. Ugggh, just no. 

He's a better quarterback than Jimmy imo. I don't even think that's particularly close. Now, is he that guy? The one that can get you over the hump? I dunno, that's a big ask. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He's a better quarterback than Jimmy imo. I don't even think that's it's that particularly close. 

That's fine. Don't see how he's good enough to "trade the farm" for. 

If you're gonna do that for a 32 year old QB that is a borderline Pro Bowl starter, just take your chances in that draft. Rinse/repeat until you find someone else. 

Smith was traded for a third rounder + solid roster player at a comparable age. Stafford is the better player, I'd imagine that a late first would probably get that done without major issue; maybe don't even have to add, and if you do, I'm sure it's minor. 

Palmers two trades are kind of crazy around the same age. Slightly younger and the Raiders were desperate, he got a first and conditional pick (not sure what the conditions were) that could be another first. 

Then he got shipped to the Cardinals at 33 for peanuts lol

But like I said, if you don't think that there is a world of difference between guys that could be available and Jimmy, then there's really no great answer. Even if you think Stafford or Dak are better quarterbacks, if  you don't think that they are the guys who are good enough to give you a better chance at winning a lombardi (IE, they are more likely to win a game when things aren't going so well around them), then I'm not sure what point there is in adding them. It's a tough spot to be in. 

I've advocated a little more for money balling the position at the current point in time if that's where we think we are, as I do think that it makes more sense to save the most money to put toward the rest of the roster (there's a reason rookie deals are so valuable with quarterbacks) while believing that you're going to get comparable production, but I don't know that it's a feasible strategy for guys who actually do that for a living lol. Easier for me to say that from the comfort of my home 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Smith was traded for a third rounder + solid roster player. Stafford is the better player, I'd imagine that a late first would probably get that done without major issue; maybe don't even have to add, and if you do, I'm sure it's minor. 

Palmers two trades are kind of crazy around the same age. Slightly younger and the Raiders were desperate, he got a first and conditional pick (not sure what the conditions were) that could be another first. 

Then he got shipped to the Cardinals at 33 for peanuts lol

Smith was also 29 when he got shipped out. I know QBs play longer, but Stafford is 32, and just had his season ended last year with a back injury. 

Lions wouldn't trade him anyway. Not sure how much longer Patricia is there, but I'm guessing he's fired after this year if the Lions don't make the playoffs. I think Stafford's contract is up in 2022. If a new head coach comes aboard, I doubt the first thing he does is trade away arguably the best franchise QB. It would have to be a massive offer on par with something stupid like Hue Jackson offered the Bengals for Palmer. And Shanahan/Lynch would never do that. The entire fanbase would have a meltdown if the 49ers did that. And most importantly, he ain't that good. Being better than Jimmy Jesus isn't a high bar lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Smith was also 29 when he got shipped out. I know QBs play longer, but Stafford is 32, and just had his season ended last year with a back injury. 

smith was 33 when traded to Washington...hell, he was almost 34 I'm pretty sure. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

smith was 33 when traded to Washington...

Right. But that was when he wasn't worth trading for. The only reason he was snatched up was because the Redskins were desperate to save face after the Cousins fiasco. I would have rather kept the third round pick. But, it's the Redskins front office, so...

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Lions wouldn't trade him anyway. Not sure how much longer Patricia is there, but I'm guessing he's fired after this year if the Lions don't make the playoffs. I think Stafford's contract is up in 2022. If a new head coach comes aboard, I doubt the first thing he does is trade away arguably the best franchise QB. It would have to be a massive offer on par with something stupid like Hue Jackson offered the Bengals for Palmer. And Shanahan/Lynch would never do that. The entire fanbase would have a meltdown if the 49ers did that. And most importantly, he ain't that good. Being better than Jimmy Jesus isn't a high bar lol. 

I've kind of mentioned it, but this is all dependent on them being very bad this year. When this regime gets flushed, as it will, if they can grab a franchise quarterback, I'd almost guarantee that's what they do. New regimes will often mean new quarterbacks. If they are only marginally bad? yeah, I agree they won't trade him. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Right. But that was when he wasn't worth trading for. The only reason he was snatched up was because the Redskins were desperate to save face after the Cousins fiasco. 

Right...coming off the best season of his career. This is just a bad response and a bad strawman. 

• Like 1