Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

1 hour ago, SoCalNiner said:

We put all our eggs in the Aiyuk basket, and this is what we get. I understand that Shanahan gets praised for his ability to scheme guys open, but it’s clear we need WR help and I’m not sure why we didn’t do more to improve that position in the offseason. 

As far as Jimmy goes, he looked bad, but he wasn’t getting much help either. We knew what we’re getting with Jimmy. He’s a good QB, not an elite one, and he needs support around him to succeed. Once defenses shut down Kittle we’re screwed.

I'm rewatching the game as I'm typing this. WRs or lack thereof is not the problem. And Jimmy, for as bad as he's looking on my screen at the moment, wasn't really the sole reason. For the first time in a long time, I feel our gameplanning and playcalling was lackluster to be polite.

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right...coming off the best season of his career. This is just a bad response and a bad strawman. 

Uhh...I mean he faltered in the playoffs yet again that season. There is a pile of evidence that indicated that it was Reid's system that made him better than he actually was along with the weapons. The Redskins played hardball with Cousins for 2 plus years, and Alex Smith who had yet to even have that season was their fallback plan? K. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

It's not even about more talent at WR. We have plenty of talent at WR to be a deadly offense. The problem I saw yesterday was a reluctance to dig into our bag of tricks to throw some exotic plays at the Cardinals defense when the game was on the line. I understand that without Deebo and Aiyuk, we're missing a chunk of our creativity with the jet sweeps and receiver runs, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have dialed up more plays to get Reed, Kittle, or Juice 1-on-1 with a LB. I would've loved to have seen getting Taylor in space with a screen or quick-hitter.

The point is, is that missing Deebo shouldn't have broken our offense. We know what this offense is capable of and there was hesitation to show it yesterday and I'm not sure why. 

Absolutely this. Kyle looks like he needed a preseason...

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Uhh...I mean he faltered in the playoffs yet again that season. There is a pile of evidence that indicated that it was Reid's system that made him better than he actually was. The Redskins played hardball with Cousins for 2 plus years, and Alex Smith who had yet to even have that season was their fallback plan? K. 

He was 33 years old, coming off his best season as a good quarterback and was traded for a good roster player and a 3rd round pick. The point of this is was to provide a reasonable quarterback trade comparison for Stafford, which he is. You can keep trying to spin it whatever way you like. That fact still remains. 

Side note - funny how what you just said kind of sounds like Jimmy. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was 33 years old, coming off his best season as a good quarterback and was traded for a good roster player and a 3rd round pick. The point of this is was to provide a reasonable quarterback trade comparison for Stafford, which he is. You can keep trying to spin it whatever way you like. That fact still remains. 

Side note - funny how what you just said kind of sounds like Jimmy. 

Jimmy ain't 33 years old with a pile of evidence that cemented him as what he is. 

Yes, the facts as you believe to be so do remain. I agree with that. You believe in Stafford. That's cool :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I watched some of the game again last night and tried to pay closer attention to the DL, and there is a move in the 2nd quarter that Kinlaw put on the guard that was sweet. Showed his explosiveness and what he can eventually become. He didn't look all that bad, was solid on most plays but had one bad play against the run I think in the 3rd quarter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yes, the facts as you believe to be so do remain. I agree with that. You believe in Stafford. That's cool :)

Are you suggesting that Smith wasn't traded for a third round pick and Kendall Fuller? Because that actually happened...it's not really about belief. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I watched some of the game again last night and tried to pay closer attention to the DL, and there is a move in the 2nd quarter that Kinlaw put on the guard that was sweet. Showed his explosiveness and what he can eventually become. He didn't look all that bad, was solid on most plays but had one bad play against the run I think in the 3rd quarter. 

He had a rough sequence for two plays and then came right back and was involved his tackle on the third one, I was pretty happy with that effort. I need to watch the condensed game though to really dig on it, I had some glitchiness. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Are you suggesting that Smith wasn't traded for a third round pick and Kendall Fuller? Because that actually happened...it's not really about belief. 

You mentioned a reasonable trade comparison in regards to Smith/Stafford correct? If that's the case, I'm saying that Stafford would cost a lot more than what Alex was traded for either time. And that due to the potential looming circumstance that the Lions would find themselves in with a new head coach, that Stafford wouldn't be dumped for a similar price point. Unless he gets another injury, and by that point you're trading for a 33 year old QB that's injury prone. I don't see that getting the 49ers over the top. Just go young in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Just to add to this, the coach that would probably be the most compared to Shanny is Andy Reid. For years, the Eagles got by on subpar - average offensive parts and he got them to the playoffs and the superbowl once. They basically scraped the barrel because they knew that his scheme would make them better than they were. Yet he didn't win the super bowl until he had the elite quarterback surrounded by elite weapons and has now constructed an unstoppable offensive juggernaut. We know that Shanny can do the same because we saw him do it in Atlanta. 

The thing ppl fail to realize in regards to weapons is you have to have the talent at QB to make it all come together. Mahomes can make every throw under the sun and then some. He has the arm talent and vision to utilize every inch of the field. With a QB like that it makes absolute sense to add pieces around him to absolutely terrorize defenses. 

Jimmy? I mean does anybody believe he could do the same with those same weapons? I don't. Don't even think it be close. He'd put up some good numbers and probably be one of the better offenses in the league. But they wouldn't be the juggernaut that they are because Jimmy is not the QB Mahomes is...not even close. 

People keep harping about the lack of weapons we have. I don't see it. Like I mentioned in a previous post, we have what Jimmy needs. We have what suits his skillset best. To ask him to have what Mahomes or Brees has isn't taking into account the type of QB he is currently.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You mentioned a reasonable trade comparison in regards to Smith/Stafford correct? If that's the case, I'm saying that Stafford would cost a lot more than what Alex was traded for either time. And that due to the potential looming circumstance that the Lions would find themselves in with a new head coach, that Stafford wouldn't be dumped for a similar price point. Unless he gets another injury, and by that point you're trading for a 33 year old QB that's injury prone. I don't see that getting the 49ers over the top. Just go young in the draft. 

Ah, so it's shifting again. Just wanted to make sure. Okay, we are done now. Thanks. 

Just now, Forge said:

Ah, so it's shifting again. Just wanted to make sure. Okay, we are done now. Thanks. 

Or maybe it just went over your head. But we're done now like you said. Nite nite.