Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

4 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Against the jets and giants if he sucks we should start thinking about a new QB

The front office/Kyle has clearly already been thinking about a QB. We can cut him after this season for free (basically)

I was going to save this for the podcast, but look how bad dee Ford looked yesterday. He looked heavy and slow. We saw that all camp and said "let's restructure him instead of Garoppolo". 

I mean, they reallllly didn't want to commit to him long term 

Pocket presence was the #1 thing I hoped he improved upon. He was so so so good in this department in 2017 and has never found his mojo again. It's 2020 now. 2017 was a long time ago 

He had good moments in 2019, obviously, but there was some bad mixed in as well. We are too talented to have an inconsistent QB. I am giving him another shot, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass for bad games

4 hours ago, N4L said:

The front office/Kyle has clearly already been thinking about a QB. We can cut him after this season for free (basically)

I was going to save this for the podcast, but look how bad dee Ford looked yesterday. He looked heavy and slow. We saw that all camp and said "let's restructure him instead of Garoppolo". 

I mean, they reallllly didn't want to commit to him long term 

Pocket presence was the #1 thing I hoped he improved upon. He was so so so good in this department in 2017 and has never found his mojo again. It's 2020 now. 2017 was a long time ago 

He had good moments in 2019, obviously, but there was some bad mixed in as well. We are too talented to have an inconsistent QB. I am giving him another shot, but that doesn't mean he gets a pass for bad games

Well most QBs have bad games. Even the best of them have off days. For as lackluster as he was, if they convert on the goaline, they probably find a way to win the game. And the narrative is always different when you win.

Most know I'm not the biggest Jimmy apologist but I'm kinda surprised by all the angst after a week 1 loss. No preseason, hell no offseason in general to really iron out the kinks and hone in on his deficiencies and ppl have the pitchforks ready. 

He was bad Sunday, no doubt about it. But I wouldn't say I'm overly worried right now. If we're in week 6 and he's still throwing flat-footed, sailing passes and not seeing the whole field then yea, I'll be leading the revolt. But the team as a whole, including Kyle and Saleh looked ill prepared and well dare I say...a little hungover. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Against the jets and giants if he sucks we should start thinking about a new QB

At least, our options will be favorable after this season. His contract gets super easy to walk away from after 2020.

He is set to make 26.9 mil against the cap, but the dead cap hit is 2.8 mil.

I don't know if Jimmy will step up his game, but I greatly doubt it can happen if we don't have a healthy Kittle for most of the year. Even if we do have a healthy Kittle, I don't know that Jimmy can step it up with lousy WRs and pass block OL. He's probably not developed enough to overcome that many obstacles. 

Whatever, we have a long way to go in deciding. Just glad we can walk rather painlessly, if need be. This is not feeling like the golden season, but it's early. 

4 hours ago, oldman9er said:

At least, our options will be favorable after this season. His contract gets super easy to walk away from after 2020.

He is set to make 26.9 mil against the cap, but the dead cap hit is 2.8 mil.

I don't know if Jimmy will step up his game, but I greatly doubt it can happen if we don't have a healthy Kittle for most of the year. Even if we do have a healthy Kittle, I don't know that Jimmy can step it up with lousy WRs and pass block OL. He's probably not developed enough to overcome that many obstacles. 

Whatever, we have a long way to go in deciding. Just glad we can walk rather painlessly, if need be. This is not feeling like the golden season, but it's early. 

So who can we even get to replace Jimmy G?, unless we suck so bad tank and get Trevor Lawrence which will never happen we pretty much are going to waste a yet another talented roster.

15 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

So who can we even get to replace Jimmy G?, unless we suck so bad tank and get Trevor Lawrence which will never happen we pretty much are going to waste a yet another talented roster.

A great question to ask, if to assume you mean for 2021. Necessary to ask already? Certainly not for me; not my job or future on the line.

Worth asking for conversation's sake, sure. I have given it zero thought at this point. A handful more games until I honestly turn that wheel in my head.

Anyone got options today, and at least it's fun to consider. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

A great question to ask, if to assume you mean for 2021. Necessary to ask already? Certainly not for me; not my job or future on the line.

Worth asking for conversation's sake, sure. I have given it zero thought at this point. A handful more games until I honestly turn that wheel in my head.

Anyone got options today, and at least it's fun to consider. 

I don't think Jimmy G is great but man oh man our WRs are so soft no fight on any catches. I'm tired of having just YAC guys we need some guys that can fight for the ball and ****** it out of the air and K Bourne should have had that GW TD no excuses didn't even try to come back for the ball wtf!

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Most know I'm not the biggest Jimmy apologist but I'm kinda surprised by all the angst after a week 1 loss. No preseason, hell no offseason in general to really iron out the kinks and hone in on his deficiencies and ppl have the pitchforks ready. 

I think there's an error in attributing this to a single game. Maybe for some people it is, I can't deny that. That's a loss you can pin a good chunk of blame on him for and that rubs people raw, no doubt. But had we converted that 4th and 1, had we pulled that one out at the end, I'd still think this way about Jimmy at the current point in time. The win / loss is largely inconsequential because that's just playing the result.  For me, this isn't about a single game, just like it's not about who the receivers are as my issues are independent of that...it's about the fact that he's one of the most protected quarterbacks in the NFL and he's simply not very good. I mean, he's fine. He's what we've got, but he's 100% QB purgatory in my opinion at this point. It's about seeing him do the same stupid crap, make the same mental errors, missing the same throws...I just don't see a great quarterback there at all.I don't even see a very good one. He's a competent NFL starting quarterback. Is that enough to win a super bowl? Yes, sometimes, if everything breaks right. 

His accuracy is hit and miss. He's horrific against pressure and makes stupid, terrible decision. He's a slow processor of the field and misses a lot of open receivers (both visually and with regards to accuracy).  He is not accurate down the field (and before anyone brings up the completion percentage from last year, keep in mind that on those throws he has one of the lowest ADOT for those throws and I implore you to go back and actually watch the throws, such as the one to Manny Sanders against...NO...yes, that's a completion, but it is not a good throw). 

That's not to say that there arent' good things...there 100% are. Pre-snap, I believe he is very good. Recognizes defenses, particularly the blitzes. LIS before, he's not a guy that gets frazzled at the end of games and in crunch time. Honestly, I just think that when he has time to collect his bearings, think about things and isn't rushed mentally, he's really good. But then you speed things up, make things quicker, and it starts to go south a little bit.  He's going to have very good games moving forward because he's an okay nfl starting quarterback. They all do. But I'm out on thinking that he's "the guy" (and it's important to note that "the guy" type quarterbacks are *extremely* difficult to find). Sadly, this is why its called QB purgatory. I mean, there aren't any real feasible options to go out and get someone better, and you can't make the change just to make the change (well, you can, but NFL teams won't do that lol). We are just going to ride out this cycle with Jimmy until it bottoms out, and in the meantime you really just have to hold out hope that things break right when we need it to, he goes on a hot streak in the playoffs, etc. Nick Foles won a super bowl, Jimmy can too, I'm sure. 

People are going to point to the stats and look how good and shiny they are, but this is a situation where the eye test matters. It doesn't match up. It's kind of like watching a Mike Leach college quarterback. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

I don't think Jimmy G is great but man oh man our WRs are so soft no fight on any catches. I'm tired of having just YAC guys we need some guys that can fight for the ball and ****** it out of the air and K Bourne should have had that GW TD no excuses didn't even try to come back for the ball wtf!

I agree. I can't conjure the specific KB pass fail you refer to, but yeah, we all can probably agree that the WR quality at this time is pathetic. 

I  also find myself agreeing with any notion that Jimmy G and even the playcalls.. many plays, very disappointing. 

Glad there is a full season to go, because I hate to condemn on one game, and they will have many more auditions through the season. 

If you watched Shanny's press conference he talked about how in the first half we were getting 8 yards/play and about to roll over them and then we didn't. I think Shanny just never felt really threatened with the game until it was too late to really push the envelope. Maybe that would have gotten Jimmy hot sooner, maybe that would have put us down the toilet faster, who knows? I think if indeed that was the case he wont take those chances anymore.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think there's an error in attributing this to a single game. Maybe for some people it is, I can't deny that. That's a loss you can pin a good chunk of blame on him for and that rubs people raw, no doubt. But had we converted that 4th and 1, had we pulled that one out at the end, I'd still think this way about Jimmy at the current point in time. The win / loss is largely inconsequential because that's just playing the result.  For me, this isn't about a single game, just like it's not about who the receivers are as my issues are independent of that...it's about the fact that he's one of the most protected quarterbacks in the NFL and he's simply not very good. I mean, he's fine. He's what we've got, but he's 100% QB purgatory in my opinion at this point. It's about seeing him do the same stupid crap, make the same mental errors, missing the same throws...I just don't see a great quarterback there at all.I don't even see a very good one. He's a competent NFL starting quarterback. Is that enough to win a super bowl? Yes, sometimes, if everything breaks right. 

His accuracy is hit and miss. He's horrific against pressure and makes stupid, terrible decision. He's a slow processor of the field and misses a lot of open receivers (both visually and with regards to accuracy).  He is not accurate down the field (and before anyone brings up the completion percentage from last year, keep in mind that on those throws he has one of the lowest ADOT for those throws and I implore you to go back and actually watch the throws, such as the one to Manny Sanders against...NO...yes, that's a completion, but it is not a good throw). 

That's not to say that there arent' good things...there 100% are. Pre-snap, I believe he is very good. Recognizes defenses, particularly the blitzes. LIS before, he's not a guy that gets frazzled at the end of games and in crunch time. Honestly, I just think that when he has time to collect his bearings, think about things and isn't rushed mentally, he's really good. But then you speed things up, make things quicker, and it starts to go south a little bit.  He's going to have very good games moving forward because he's an okay nfl starting quarterback. They all do. But I'm out on thinking that he's "the guy" (and it's important to note that "the guy" type quarterbacks are *extremely* difficult to find). Sadly, this is why its called QB purgatory. I mean, there aren't any real feasible options to go out and get someone better, and you can't make the change just to make the change (well, you can, but NFL teams won't do that lol). We are just going to ride out this cycle with Jimmy until it bottoms out, and in the meantime you really just have to hold out hope that things break right when we need it to, he goes on a hot streak in the playoffs, etc. Nick Foles won a super bowl, Jimmy can too, I'm sure. 

People are going to point to the stats and look how good and shiny they are, but this is a situation where the eye test matters. It doesn't match up. It's kind of like watching a Mike Leach college quarterback. 

I completely agree with your whole analysis pretty much. Its what I was saying last year and most of the offseason. 

What I will say is I'm not ready to write him off just yet. He has only one season as a starter under his belt. Regardless of his time in the league, live game reps can't be simulated so I need a little more of a sample size before I just write him off completely. I'm willing to see how this season plays out before I completely close the book on him. Though the warts both you and I have repeated about his game may not be fixed with experience alone. Either you have it or you don't in some instances. I'll wait and see how it plays out during the season.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I agree. I can't conjure the specific KB pass fail you refer to, but yeah, we all can probably agree that the WR quality at this time is pathetic. 

I  also find myself agreeing with any notion that Jimmy G and even the playcalls.. many plays, very disappointing. 

Glad there is a full season to go, because I hate to condemn on one game, and they will have many more auditions through the season. 

The fact we could have had DJ Chark and Miles Boykin in that 2018 draft yet we took Dante P "***** cat" Pettis and Jalen' Im always hurt" Hurd over those guys smh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

The pass in the corner of the EZ

3 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

The fact we could have had DJ Chark and Miles Boykin in that 2018 draft yet we took Dante P "***** cat" Pettis and Jalen' Im always hurt" Hurd over those guys smh. 

Don't forget that we took Pettis over James Washington, Michael Gallup and Anthony Miller as well

• Like 2