Week 1 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

43 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

The fact we could have had DJ Chark and Miles Boykin in that 2018 draft yet we took Dante P "***** cat" Pettis and Jalen' Im always hurt" Hurd over those guys smh. 

Jalen Hurd was our 2019 3rd rounder. We missed out on Terry McLaurin, Maxx Crosby, & Devin Singletary.

Fred Warner was our 2018 3rd rounder. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Well most QBs have bad games. Even the best of them have off days. For as lackluster as he was, if they convert on the goaline, they probably find a way to win the game. And the narrative is always different when you win.

Most know I'm not the biggest Jimmy apologist but I'm kinda surprised by all the angst after a week 1 loss. No preseason, hell no offseason in general to really iron out the kinks and hone in on his deficiencies and ppl have the pitchforks ready. 

He was bad Sunday, no doubt about it. But I wouldn't say I'm overly worried right now. If we're in week 6 and he's still throwing flat-footed, sailing passes and not seeing the whole field then yea, I'll be leading the revolt. But the team as a whole, including Kyle and Saleh looked ill prepared and well dare I say...a little hungover. 

yes, everyone has bad games. This was one was so bad though, just inexcusable. it was pedestrian mistakes. taking the ball down, taking his eyes off of downfield, and trying to 'scramble' while spinning around and doing nothing but get himself sacked was pretty pathetic tbh. missing a play or two? ok, I can live with that, thats football. Thats not what this was though. 

I like Jimmy more than most, but there really was no excuse to be this sloppy. The great QBs give his guys a chance to make plays. I get not trusting pettis, but he just flat out didnt see guys, had horrible footwork, threw ducks/inaccurate passes (INCLUDING ONE THAT GOT GEORGE KITTLE HURT). the worst part to me was that he wasnt able to pull it together. We have seen him make bad plays and then regain his focus and be sharp. The great ones in any sport know when they are having a bad day and get it together. 

Again, we are too talented to be held back by this. despite the fact our QB had a horrible game, we could have (should have?) won. Thats what makes this so frustrating. Its not like I am asking for elite QB play. I am asking for average QB play consistently, with some greatness sprinkled in. That's basically what we got from him last year. 

This was by far his worst game as a Niner. Take away mosterts catch and he had 180 yards against a bad pass D

Edited by N4L

Long-Term, its definitely a make or break year for Jimmy. The team is too talented and balanced to be held back. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded up for a QB in the 2021 draft to replace him. Look at what the Ravens/Chiefs/Texans did, replacing Flacco/Smith/Osweiler with Jackson/Mahomes/Watson. All of those teams traded up for those QB's and i think that could be our top priority as well. Obviously scenarios are different and we'd be lucky to get a QB of that caliber, but just giving an idea. Especially since he's cuttable with little dead cap. And also, the fact that they actually evaluated Brady seriously as a replacement tells me they're thinking of the future.

Short-Term though, he's our guy. Mullens is a good backup, and i hope we never see CJ throw another pass for the 49ers again. My hope is that this is similar to the 2019 preseason. Week 1 against Denver, he looked awful. Week 2 against KC, he bounced back in a big way. I know it was preseason, but just talking generally. Hope he can bounce back against NYJ (and the rest of the season). 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

And that is exactly what I've been afraid of with Deebo and why I've been pessimistic regarding his injury.

Jones fractures are the worrrrrrrrrrrst with regards to healing. Obscenely high rates of healing improperly or re-breaking. 

I'm definitely worried this is going to nag him longer than we expect.

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Hurd wasnt a bad pick necessarily, just a bad outcome

Yeah, this is turning into a game of hindsight. Pettis looked like a potential stud after his rookie year, not Shannahans fault that the second the dude got a little shine he stops putting the work in, he's an adult in the most competitive industry in the world. 

Hurd gets injured..sometimes it happens. Deebo was great..and again..injuries happen. 

I haven't liked a single receiver pick we've made, but I've been proven wrong on multiple occasions, even with this. I just wish Shanny was willing to move outside of his comfort zone more often than he does. He'll do it when forced too, but it takes too long sometimes..imo 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, this is turning into a game of hindsight. Pettis looked like a potential stud after his rookie year, not Shannahans fault that the second the dude got a little shine he stops putting the work in, he's an adult in the most competitive industry in the world. 

I'll let people go off on the Pettis selection...that's what we have Are you smarter than an NFL gm for and I'm pretty sure that nobody picked him or wanted to pick him outside of a few lol 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll let people go off on the Pettis selection...that's what we have Are you smarter than an NFL gm for and I'm pretty sure that nobody picked him or wanted to pick him outside of a few lol 

Yeah, I mean...i get it. I was pretty shocked to see it. I don't think I did it that year, but that would not have been my pick.

There was a game in 1985 opening day between the Dolphins and Oilers. An away game, in which Dan Marino who had held out all offseason through training camp/preseason due to a contract dispute played terribly against one of the worst teams in the NFL at the time, the Houston Oilers. This was following Dan's historic 1984 season. Dan played so bad he was benched for journeyman Don Strock late in the third quarter. The Dolphins fell 26-23. Even the great ones can struggle right out the gate if they're out of sync. That was a team with the Duper brothers on it, and Dwight Stephenson blocking at center. 

Obviously Jimmy G isn't Dan Marino. However, it was week one in which the 49ers offense was terrible/injured at multiple levels, and Shanahan may not have called his best game either. Jimmy just might be a slow starter when the bullets start flying (preseason against Denver last year). I know that seems weird after what happened in 2017. I don't expect it to continue at all. I can't remember what the statistic was that PFF advocated seems to indicate long term success compared to others. I believe it was clean-pocket passing grade. If my memory serves me correct, Jimmy has been decent in this area mostly. We'll see what happens against the Jets/Giants. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Forge said:

Um, wow. I guess I am nobody. Shrug.

I have said repeatedly that Pettis was my fave WR from that Draft and was ecstatic that we got him. Unfortunately, that hasn't panned out well at all.

Initially, I was disappointed we didn't pick Lamb this year. When I took a closer look at Aiyuk, I came to realize that Aiyuk may have more to work with and perhaps better character/work ethic. I am very excited to see Aiyuk in action.