Week 1 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Indianapolis Colts - Stache v Lawrence

.Buzz

9 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Interesting note from Chad Johnson, #Jaguars Senior VP of Sales and Service on @1010XL:

13 games on Sunday.

Jacksonville will be the only #NFL stadium with fans.

I honestly can't even think of anything to say about this, other than...there's nothing i could say about it, that i could actually say here.

Ok. I'm about to vent.

Why are we seen as tanking when:
We're bringing back the best rookie QB we've ever had and was arguably the best rookie qb of 2019, amid, from what we now know, a toxic locker room and a bad scheme.

He also won a game on the west coast which, as we know, is usually our opponents bye week.

We've cleansed our team of the malcontents with mostly equitable replacements.

Our division is not stacked. The Colts are meh, the Texans have Bill and the Titans offense is built on a power running game that if stifled, leaves their qb exposed.

Going off 2019 alone and disregarding "brand name" recognition

Division QB Rankings

Watson

MInshew

Tannehill

Rivers

Our floor should be 6 wins with a ceiling of 10 if everything goes right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

Ok. I'm about to vent.

We're bringing back the best rookie QB we've ever had and was arguably the best rookie qb of 2019, amid, from what we now know, a toxic locker room and a bad scheme.

He also won a game on the west coast which, as we know, is usually our opponents bye week.

Our division is not stacked. The Colts are meh, the Texans have Bill and the Titans offense is built on a power running game that if stifled, leaves their qb exposed.

Division QB Rankings

Watson

MInshew

Tannehill

Rivers

Love the optimism man.

Truthfully I see the ceiling as more 8-8, MAYBE 9-7, but realistically 5-11 or 6-10 due to youth. I think this year will be fun and we'll see plenty of flashes from some of the young guys but ultimately having 16 rookies and half our roster within their first 3 years in the league will do us in. That defense just has way too much youth/questions along it to expect them to hold up, although I do expect improvement from last year due to guys being set up/in a better role to succeed and without guys who were known for roaming like we've had in the past.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Love the optimism man.

Truthfully I see the ceiling as more 8-8, MAYBE 9-7, but realistically 5-11 or 6-10 due to youth. I think this year will be fun and we'll see plenty of flashes from some of the young guys but ultimately having 16 rookies and half our roster within their first 3 years in the league will do us in. That defense just has way too much youth/questions along it to expect them to hold up, although I do expect improvement from last year due to guys being set up/in a better role to succeed and without guys who were known for roaming like we've had in the past.

A lot of defensive woes, especially vs the run, was guys freestyling and getting out of position pre-snap (The Carolina game was maddening to watch!). I believe Schobert can help guys get lined up correctly which, though might not not propel us into the best run defense in the league, will help us mitigate the damage and get us to middle of the pack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

A lot of defensive woes, especially vs the run, was guys freestyling and getting out of position pre-snap (The Carolina game was maddening to watch!). I believe Schobert can help guys get lined up correctly which, though might not not propel us into the best run defense in the league, will help us mitigate the damage and get us to middle of the pack.

Exactly mirrors my thoughts on the defense. I think we lack talent in areas and are way too young, but sooo many of the major issues last year had to do with guys not keeping their gaps and roaming/not doing what they should have done to go with poor communication overall. 

It's going to likely be a below average unit, but I don't expect to see huge gashes like last year several times every single week this year.

• Like 1

Lasty, didn't we blow the doors off this team with our bad defense, our limited rookie qb and an OC on the cusp of termination?
I get they added Rivers and some decent free agents but why are we the only team that doesn't get to enjoy the benefit of players growing and improving?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MightyRx said:

Ok. I'm about to vent.

Division QB Rankings

Watson

MInshew

Tannehill

Rivers

I certainly don't think we're really "tanking" per se.  I think the guys on the hot seat have been plenty honest about that.  If this is another complete disaster year with no bright spots, they're absolutely gone.  Especially a guy in the coaches hat like Marrone.  There's no way he's back if they don't win some games and see at least some promise and improvement.

But accidentally building a very bad team with holes everywhere isn't really much better.