2020 Week One Steelers at Giants Game Day Thread

Steeler Hitman

Just throwing out the disclaimer for when we lose the game and the world burns....remember it’s a weird offseason with no preseason and a QB returning to his first game action with essentially 3 new bodies and an OLine with 3 new starters during a pandemic and how the first 4 weeks of the NFL are wacky without all of those new scenarios regardless  

Having said that....Steelers by 3 scores. TJ Watt puts himself in a healthy lead for DPOY out the gate. Everyone, and I mean everyone, Jumps back on that James Connor train. 

Edited by Dcash4

2 hours ago, August4th said:

we might get some shovel and screen passes to ebron/Watt/McDonald. that was one of my fav parts of canada's offense at Pitt.

Provided he knows how to teach this, I would love to see it executed. We have been trying to run it for the past 4 years and absolutely suck at it.

We did scored one TD in this play though.....when ben ran it in against Jacksonville. 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:01 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

Sound logic on your part, but I slightly disagree as I see the Steelers being able to play "complimentary football. " Lack of QB play often prevented turnovers from turning into TD's, flipping the field to result in points, sustaining drives to give the defense a breather, and scoring to get the team to play with a lead (no opening drive TD's in 16 games last season).  All of that helps a good to solid defense become a great one.  I agree that you cannot predict turnovers but I expect them to get some and more importantly, do something with the turnovers after they get them.  The SF game last year was a game that with a healthy Ben would have been a blow-out as the Steelers would have converted those early turnovers into points and took SF out of their ability to stick with their game plan. 

oh yeah i agree completely that's what i'm saying - i think the defense might not be as "good" in and of itself, but it can get the same or similar results to last season because the offense will help them out rather than be an utter hindrance, and they'll have time to rest and catch their breath up, they won't have short fields, and so on

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

oh yeah i agree completely that's what i'm saying - i think the defense might not be as "good" in and of itself, but it can get the same or similar results to last season because the offense will help them out rather than be an utter hindrance, and they'll have time to rest and catch their breath up, they won't have short fields, and so on

Exactly. It was a big part of what was missing in some games last year and what hurt the team down the stretch (losses to Buffalo, NY Jets, and Ravens JV team).  The offense can't turn the ball over a few times a game this season and they probably won't. I do see the run defense being better with a healthy Tuitt. While they may not have as "good  numbers/stats" wise, I do think they will be improved overall with Minkah being more comfortable, Bush making a jump, hopefully Edmonds getting comfortable because he can flat out fly as well, I can't mention enough what a healthy Tuitt does for that defensive line run stuffing, penetrating, pressuring and getting a few sacks. I like Sean Davis as third safety and providing depth. I think Nelson may take over the #2 CB role this year which is not saying that Joe Haden's play diminishes as much as Nelson improves off a solid first year with the Steelers. This 2020 team should be able to compliment each other much better than 2019. 

• Like 1

Something a poster on BTSC pointed out that is pretty smart. I think our signing of Sean Davis will really help us against Jackson and the Ravens offense. Having three starter-ish quality safeties is very important today. We could theoretically roll out 4 safeties against them if you include Marcus Allen. I don't think that's necessarily a good idea, just something we could do. I'm really excited about what our defense will be able to do this year. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2020 at 5:07 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

If he stays healthy he could get a big one. If he can’t, I bet he gets a prove it deal. I hope he has a good enough year to get paid a lot by someone else.

I doubt he stays healthy the entire year, sadly.      I cant see him getting a huge contract from anyone, even if he does.     Not saying he cant get a decent payday, but Im thinking somehing along the lines of 2 years/$25 million, or 3 years/ $40m is his biggest contract.....thats if he stays healthy and has a pretty damn good year.

I honestly think he will play 10 or 11 games or so, and maybe end up back with us on a 1 year deal next year.   

a thought just popped in my head while I was listening to a NFL podcast. what if the jets are so bad they win the Lawrence sweepstakes and decide to take him and put Darnold on the block. would you be fine with the steelers sending a high draft pick for Sam, if they don't land a RD 1 QB prospect?

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

a thought just popped in my head while I was listening to a NFL podcast. what if the jets are so bad they win the Lawrence sweepstakes and decide to take him and put Darnold on the block. would you be fine with the steelers sending a high draft pick for Sam, if they don't land a RD 1 QB prospect?

A 2nd or 3rd.  The issue is Sam would be in year 3 of 5 years of team control.  I'm expecting Ben to play this year and at least 2 more, so that would possibly mean hoping that Darnold would be worth the 5th year option that would be really expensive.  If we knew that 2021 were to be Ben's swansong, I'd be all for it.