Covid Season Week 1 GDT: JETS @BILLS

bigbadbuff

bruce buffer sport GIF by UFC

Here’s to hoping COVID doesn’t take football away from us.

Easily the highest expectations this team has had in 20 years, and what better way to start the season than facing the lowly, pathetic, atrocious Jets? 

The Jets don’t stack up with us in any way, they barely beat our backups in week 17 last season and I fully expect a route in 6 days. We need to assert dominance early and often, let our new toy, DIGGS, loose and put that Jersey team away before halftime is over.

Anything less than a division title is a disappointment. So let’s go out and get it!!

Predictions for the game!!!

Bills-42, Jets-3 

Josh Allen goes over 300 yards for the first time, going 22/35 for 350 yards and 4 touchdowns

Stefon Diggs scores twice and gets over 100.

Cole Beasley and Dawson Knox also score.

Tre White first career pick 6

Zac Moss scores a touch down late

Sam Darnold looks abysmal going 16/45 with 3 picks.

Go Bills.

• Like 1

You’re probably giving the Jets too much credit. 

In all seriousness I just don’t see anyway we lose this game. Weird things happen in week 1 but coaching, talent and experience the Bills win across the board. 

We have yet to see a McDermott lead team blow anyone out but I think this game qualifies for that. 

Bills 31
Jets 7

Two things: Though I expect a blowout, I think it is safe to say that the lack of preseason experience shows up in the final score. Also, there is no way our D gives up a TD to this Jets team at this stage in the season.

BUF - 27

NJJ -  6

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Allen threw all over them last year and left plays out there. He also didn't have Diggs.

2 INT in his last 344 attempts. He scored at least one touchdown on the ground, through the air or receiving in every game last year. 

Sunday is going to be fun.

Allen looked totally lost in the first half of last seasons opener. After Mosely went down there was a complete lapse in communication that led to a lot of his success through the air in the second half. He deserves credit for taking advantage of coverage mishaps, but to be fair, context is key.

A lot of people on here seem to be undermining Gregg Williams impact. The versatility of his defense will be a lot for Allen to process early & should give him fits similar to last year.

2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Allen looked totally lost in the first half of last seasons opener. After Mosely went down there was a complete lapse in communication that led to a lot of his success through the air in the second half. He deserves credit for taking advantage of coverage mishaps, but to be fair, context is key.

A lot of people on here seem to be undermining Gregg Williams impact. The versatility of his defense will be a lot for Allen to process early & should give him fits similar to last year.

1st Drive:

Allen started the game 5-6, 44 yards taking the Bills down to the Jets 26. Dawkins got cleanly beat and Allen fumbled. Bad play by him but nothing exotic from the defense or him being lost.

Second drive:
Never got started because of this

Bad mechanics led to a bad throw. But one that still should have been caught and not given the Jets and easy 6. That is bad Josh Allen coming through, but still not a player who is lost or seeing a versatile look from the D.

3rd Drive:

Allen 3-5, 21 yards. 4 rushes, 19 yards. Bills punt from the Jets 40.

4th Drive (second quarter):
INT negated by a holding call. Allen 1-2 for 1 yard. Bills punt

5th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 45 yards. 3 rushes, 9 yards. Morse/Allen fumble on 4th and 1 from the Jets 36. Jets recover.

6th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 30 yards. INT to Hewitt. 

Allen also had an 11 yard completion in the 3rd before Mosely went down meaning 151 of his passing yards came with Mosely in the game. I know Jets fans see week 1 of last year as a game they let get away from them. I always saw it as a game where there Bills shot themselves in the foot. If the Bills don't turn the ball over on the opening drive and manage at least a field goal, the narrative of the rest of the game is different. If Beasley catches the ball or Allen makes a better throw, the Jets don't get 6 points in the first half. If Morse/Allen don't fumble the snap or if the Bills kick a field goal do they have the lead at half?

Week 1 was a sloppy game for the Bills offense. They were too inconsistent and left a lot of plays out there. That is to be expected when 9 of 11 starters were brand new. Allen had his fair share of mistakes or mishaps. But hardly a player that looked lost to me. This year it's 9/10 returning starters on offense in week 1. I don't expect Allen to go off for some award winning game. But 300 yards and a couple touchdowns against that secondary with the addition of Diggs to the Bills weapons is entirely plausible. 

Greg Williams doesn't scare me. The Jets were middle of the pack in points allowed and pass defense last year and lost their best players for that coveted communication. In 2018 and 17 his Browns defense were also bad against the pass.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

1st Drive:

Allen started the game 5-6, 44 yards taking the Bills down to the Jets 26. Dawkins got cleanly beat and Allen fumbled. Bad play by him but nothing exotic from the defense or him being lost.

Second drive:
Never got started because of this

Bad mechanics led to a bad throw. But one that still should have been caught and not given the Jets and easy 6. That is bad Josh Allen coming through, but still not a player who is lost or seeing a versatile look from the D.

3rd Drive:

Allen 3-5, 21 yards. 4 rushes, 19 yards. Bills punt from the Jets 40.

4th Drive (second quarter):
INT negated by a holding call. Allen 1-2 for 1 yard. Bills punt

5th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 45 yards. 3 rushes, 9 yards. Morse/Allen fumble on 4th and 1 from the Jets 36. Jets recover.

6th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 30 yards. INT to Hewitt. 

Allen also had an 11 yard completion in the 3rd before Mosely went down meaning 151 of his passing yards came with Mosely in the game. I know Jets fans see week 1 of last year as a game they let get away from them. I always saw it as a game where there Bills shot themselves in the foot. If the Bills don't turn the ball over on the opening drive and manage at least a field goal, the narrative of the rest of the game is different. If Beasley catches the ball or Allen makes a better throw, the Jets don't get 6 points in the first half. If Morse/Allen don't fumble the snap or if the Bills kick a field goal do they have the lead at half?

Week 1 was a sloppy game for the Bills offense. They were too inconsistent and left a lot of plays out there. That is to be expected when 9 of 11 starters were brand new. Allen had his fair share of mistakes or mishaps. But hardly a player that looked lost to me. This year it's 9/10 returning starters on offense in week 1. I don't expect Allen to go off for some award winning game. But 300 yards and a couple touchdowns against that secondary with the addition of Diggs to the Bills weapons is entirely plausible. 

Greg Williams doesn't scare me. The Jets were middle of the pack in points allowed and pass defense last year and lost their best players for that coveted communication. In 2018 and 17 his Browns defense were also bad against the pass.

To summarize: Allen's poor first half performance can be chalked up to mindless mistakes? Certainly some self inflicted wounds, but that's often the result of a quarterback struggling to properly diagnose a defense. A defense that from a talent perspective, he should've had no problems exploiting - both starting cornerbacks from that game are currently out of the league.

Slight Gregg Williams all you want, but he was exceptional for us last season. Our middle of the pack pass defense far exceeded expectations & despite losing Jamal, will be a vastly improved group compared to what Allen faced last year.  Your justification for the Bills narrow victory is a bit lopsided. The continuity argument goes both ways, not to mention our starting quarterback reportedly didn't sleep the night before & was diagnosed with mono shortly thereafter. Sloppy game all around, both sides can make excuses, ultimately the better team won. 

Back to the point: It's plausible Allen goes off, but where is this exuberant confidence stemming from? I actually like Allen more than most outside of your fanbase, but I think we matchup favorably defensively. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't view his intellect as a strength & that serves to benefit a coordinator touted for his complex versatility. One of the biggest (And maybe only) advantages we'll have Sunday is that our defensive line is ELITE against the run. As a result, I think we'll see plenty of looks featuring 5-6 DBs. In theory, this further complicates coverages, mitigates Allen's ability to scramble & forces him to beat us with his arm against a crowded secondary.

Diggs is hard to account for... I think man-to-man he can take full advantage of Desire, who's missed all of TC & looked like a shell of himself last season.

Point being, I think it's a better matchup (defensively) for the Jets than you're giving credit for.

16 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

To summarize: Allen's poor first half performance can be chalked up to mindless mistakes? Certainly some self inflicted wounds, but that's often the result of a quarterback struggling to properly diagnose a defense. A defense that from a talent perspective, he should've had no problems exploiting - both starting cornerbacks from that game are currently out of the league.

Slight Gregg Williams all you want, but he was exceptional for us last season. Our middle of the pack pass defense far exceeded expectations & despite losing Jamal, will be a vastly improved group compared to what Allen faced last year.  Your justification for the Bills narrow victory is a bit lopsided. The continuity argument goes both ways, not to mention our starting quarterback reportedly didn't sleep the night before & was diagnosed with mono shortly thereafter. Sloppy game all around, both sides can make excuses, ultimately the better team won. 

Back to the point: It's plausible Allen goes off, but where is this exuberant confidence stemming from? I actually like Allen more than most outside of your fanbase, but I think we matchup favorably defensively. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't view his intellect as a strength & that serves to benefit a coordinator touted for his complex versatility. One of the biggest (And maybe only) advantages we'll have Sunday is that our defensive line is ELITE against the run. As a result, I think we'll see plenty of looks featuring 5-6 DBs. In theory, this further complicates coverages, mitigates Allen's ability to scramble & forces him to beat us with his arm against a crowded secondary.

Diggs is hard to account for... I think man-to-man he can take full advantage of Desire, who's missed all of TC & looked like a shell of himself last season.

Point being, I think it's a better matchup (defensively) for the Jets than you're giving credit for.

I just believe his mistakes and the offense in generals that day was more self inflicted then it was the Jets D being anything special. I also don’t think it was a poor first half. Rough look at it I believe he went 15-23 for close to 150 yards. The fumble and first INT was bad but again, week 1 sloppy ness that I think we agree all teams have. Also Allen just fumbles too much as it is against everyone.

ill have to see it before I can believe it. The Jets D on paper outside the DL looks pretty bad. The Darnold mono thing is a nice excuse for that game. But he’s been far from special anytime against Buffalo. I can’t see the Jets offense with it’s retooled OL and question marks doing anything this weekend.

The confidence comes from camp and the addition of Diggs. By all accounts he has “fixed” his mechanics on deeps throws. At least enough for it to be a weapon. He still had days or plays from camp that look like rookie Allen but his chemistry with Diggs is apparent already and Brown/Beasley are now in more favourable positions. I think the Jets going 5/6 DBs will be a mistake. They won’t be able to spy Allen properly that way IMO and the offense showed last year they can pick apart zone coverages. The games he looked really bad was Baltimore and New England who did straight up man all day. Diggs will be an X-factor for sure. 

21 hours ago, NJC33 said:

I think the Bills win comfortably, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Williams blitz packages confuses Allen. This could be another close one, but the Bills just have so much more depth all over the roster that I can't see the Jets coming out on top. Stranger things have happened, though, especially when two divisional opponents are playing each other in week one. 

I'm expecting something to the tune of 24-13.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills official death charts 

Looks like the Bills are still going with some uncertainty on the right side of the line 

I'm guessing:

Dawkins- Spain- Morse- Ford- Williams

I'm really intrigued with Williams. I have faith he can regain form and become a solid tackled for us. If that happens, and Ford performs well at guard, then we have some really nice depth on the line with Ty backing up Williams and Feliciano backing up Ford.