Sign in to follow this  
bigbadbuff

Covid Season Week 1 GDT: JETS @BILLS

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I'm guessing:

Dawkins- Spain- Morse- Ford- Williams

I'm really intrigued with Williams. I have faith he can regain form and become a solid tackled for us. If that happens, and Ford performs well at guard, then we have some really nice depth on the line with Ty backing up Williams and Feliciano backing up Ford.

Judging by the depth chart I would say Williams only starts if he is at G and Ford is at tackle. Looks like they prefer Nsehke outside over Williams

Bills 28

Jets 13

The Jets D is without Mosley and Adams so the Bills should be able to move the ball pretty consistently. I love this Bills D and don't see this Jets offense taking it to an elite defense. 

It's a weird year with no pre season games and no crowds so who the F knows. 

Football is back!

23 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I just believe his mistakes and the offense in generals that day was more self inflicted then it was the Jets D being anything special. I also don’t think it was a poor first half. Rough look at it I believe he went 15-23 for close to 150 yards. The fumble and first INT was bad but again, week 1 sloppy ness that I think we agree all teams have. Also Allen just fumbles too much as it is against everyone.

ill have to see it before I can believe it. The Jets D on paper outside the DL looks pretty bad. The Darnold mono thing is a nice excuse for that game. But he’s been far from special anytime against Buffalo. I can’t see the Jets offense with it’s retooled OL and question marks doing anything this weekend.

The confidence comes from camp and the addition of Diggs. By all accounts he has “fixed” his mechanics on deeps throws. At least enough for it to be a weapon. He still had days or plays from camp that look like rookie Allen but his chemistry with Diggs is apparent already and Brown/Beasley are now in more favourable positions. I think the Jets going 5/6 DBs will be a mistake. They won’t be able to spy Allen properly that way IMO and the offense showed last year they can pick apart zone coverages. The games he looked really bad was Baltimore and New England who did straight up man all day. Diggs will be an X-factor for sure. 

15-23 for 150 yards, three turnovers and zero points.... And again, against a pitiful secondary. Heading into the fourth quarter, Allen had a sub 60% completion percentage, four turnovers & the Bills offense had 3 points. He looked completely overwhelmed in ways that don't necessarily populate a box score - to his credit, he played great to close the game out.

I mean, most people would've made the same argument last year and the defense turned out alright (10th DOVA). losing Jamal is HUGE, but the secondary otherwise got better and the defensive line is severely underrated IMO. I think we'll take a step back, but it's a solid group nonetheless. The Darnold mono thing definitely isn't an excuse, lol. I'll leave that alone though because I do think the offense will be outmatched. 

You're probably right about the 5-6 DBs. That's more a reflection of what I'd like to see in general this season, but I might be forcing it here. 

8 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

I think the Bills win comfortably, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Williams blitz packages confuses Allen. This could be another close one, but the Bills just have so much more depth all over the roster that I can't see the Jets coming out on top. Stranger things have happened, though, especially when two divisional opponents are playing each other in week one. 

I'm expecting something to the tune of 24-13.

The Bills & Jets didn't finish all that far apart last season. A three game difference that likely would've been 1-2 if Sam doesn't get mono. That's not to say I think the Jets are nearly as talented or well coached, but this idea that one is a Super Bowl contender & the other is bound for a top pick doesn't make sense to me.

I love the addition of Diggs. The Jets also added 5 starters on the OL & welcome Herndon back with open arms. It's not like one team got significantly better than the other this offseason.

Both teams benefited from a ridiculous easy schedule in 2019 and I think that's flying under the radar relative to who we'll play this year.

I'm not betting on the Jets Sunday, but I think it'll be closer than expected. 

33 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The Bills & Jets didn't finish all that far apart last season. A three game difference that likely would've been 1-2 if Sam doesn't get mono. That's not to say I think the Jets are nearly as talented or well coached, but this idea that one is a Super Bowl contender & the other is bound for a top pick doesn't make sense to me.

I love the addition of Diggs. The Jets also added 5 starters on the OL & welcome Herndon back with open arms. It's not like one team got significantly better than the other this offseason.

Both teams benefited from a ridiculous easy schedule in 2019 and I think that's flying under the radar relative to who we'll play this year.

I mean the Jets barely beat the bills back ups week 17. So that 3 game difference easily would’ve been 4, but go on...

28 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I mean the Jets barely beat the bills back ups week 17. So that 3 game difference easily would’ve been 4, but go on...

Technically, that would make a 5 game difference. Point being - despite Sam missing three games (Not to mention an uncanny amount of other injuries) , the Jets still finished within three games of Buffalo. These teams aren't nearly as far apart as the narrative that's being pushed.

10 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Let's be honest, though- the Jets lost against some **** teams last year with Sam completely healthy. The idea they'd be a 9 win team if he was healthy all year is optimistic thinking, and let's not pretend week 17 meant anything at all. That gave y'all a freebie win. 

Here's how I see it- Buffalo is going for it this year where as the Jets are likely a year away from being where we're at. That being said, Douglas seems to be a good GM. Still think y'all are a year away from surrounding Darnold with enough weapons and a stronger line to be a true playoff caliber team, which Buffalo is unless, of course, Allen doesn't progress (def possible).

Of course, it's any given Sunday and Williams is a good DC, so anything is possible. Could def be a slug fest, but i see a 10 pt victory in bound with the Jets offense struggling mightily. Im a Bills fan, though- bias flows through every fan's veins. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 5:15 PM, Trentwannabe said:

1st Drive:

Allen started the game 5-6, 44 yards taking the Bills down to the Jets 26. Dawkins got cleanly beat and Allen fumbled. Bad play by him but nothing exotic from the defense or him being lost.

Second drive:
Never got started because of this

Bad mechanics led to a bad throw. But one that still should have been caught and not given the Jets and easy 6. That is bad Josh Allen coming through, but still not a player who is lost or seeing a versatile look from the D.

3rd Drive:

Allen 3-5, 21 yards. 4 rushes, 19 yards. Bills punt from the Jets 40.

4th Drive (second quarter):
INT negated by a holding call. Allen 1-2 for 1 yard. Bills punt

5th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 45 yards. 3 rushes, 9 yards. Morse/Allen fumble on 4th and 1 from the Jets 36. Jets recover.

6th Drive:
Allen 3-5, 30 yards. INT to Hewitt. 

Allen also had an 11 yard completion in the 3rd before Mosely went down meaning 151 of his passing yards came with Mosely in the game. I know Jets fans see week 1 of last year as a game they let get away from them. I always saw it as a game where there Bills shot themselves in the foot. If the Bills don't turn the ball over on the opening drive and manage at least a field goal, the narrative of the rest of the game is different. If Beasley catches the ball or Allen makes a better throw, the Jets don't get 6 points in the first half. If Morse/Allen don't fumble the snap or if the Bills kick a field goal do they have the lead at half?

Week 1 was a sloppy game for the Bills offense. They were too inconsistent and left a lot of plays out there. That is to be expected when 9 of 11 starters were brand new. Allen had his fair share of mistakes or mishaps. But hardly a player that looked lost to me. This year it's 9/10 returning starters on offense in week 1. I don't expect Allen to go off for some award winning game. But 300 yards and a couple touchdowns against that secondary with the addition of Diggs to the Bills weapons is entirely plausible. 

Greg Williams doesn't scare me. The Jets were middle of the pack in points allowed and pass defense last year and lost their best players for that coveted communication. In 2018 and 17 his Browns defense were also bad against the pass.

To be fair. Every team every game can play the  "well if this doesn't happen, the game is totally different" so that's not really a good angle to take on why the game was close. Trust me I think you guys win rather easily (unlike a lot of Jets fans). But I don't think it will be a blowout like it appears most of the Bills fans think it will be. Generally speaking Williams dials up a good defensive game plan to keep us in it. I think the issue is more that we wont be able to beat you guys on the outside at all. We just don't have the talent out wide where you guys do. Making it to where you only have to really worry about 50% of the field and that is the middle. And generally speaking most good NFL defenses can eliminate the play for 50% of the field. So I expect you guys to do that. And I cant see Perriman, Mims or Hogan doing enough to win on the outside.

Allen will have to win with his arm in this one. The Jets will still have a top 5 rush D. So I expect Singletary and Moss to not get going. Making Allen have to throw to his 3 WRs to win. Which he can do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Technically, that would make a 5 game difference. Point being - despite Sam missing three games (Not to mention an uncanny amount of other injuries) , the Jets still finished within three games of Buffalo. These teams aren't nearly as far apart as the narrative that's being pushed.

Got it so you can make up reasons why the Jets should be closer but i can’t make up a reason why the would be further apart. 

Edited by bigbadbuff

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

To be fair. Every team every game can play the  "well if this doesn't happen, the game is totally different" so that's not really a good angle to take on why the game was close. Trust me I think you guys win rather easily (unlike a lot of Jets fans). But I don't think it will be a blowout like it appears most of the Bills fans think it will be. Generally speaking Williams dials up a good defensive game plan to keep us in it. I think the issue is more that we wont be able to beat you guys on the outside at all. We just don't have the talent out wide where you guys do. Making it to where you only have to really worry about 50% of the field and that is the middle. And generally speaking most good NFL defenses can eliminate the play for 50% of the field. So I expect you guys to do that. And I cant see Perriman, Mims or Hogan doing enough to win on the outside.

Allen will have to win with his arm in this one. The Jets will still have a top 5 rush D. So I expect Singletary and Moss to not get going. Making Allen have to throw to his 3 WRs to win. Which he can do.

Y'all have a good GM in Douglas. I think you're a year away from making a run to the playoffs. It's no slight to the Jets that I think the Bills win comfortably, and by comfortably I don't mean 20+ points. Williams will dial up a solid game plan as you mentioned, but I don't think the Jets have the talent on offense (yet) to make this a one possession game with 2 minutes left. 

I'm sticking to my 24-13 prediction, it could def be a lower scoring affair. I'm shedding a bit of optimism here due to my *hope* that Diggs makes a big impression in his first game. 

15-23 for 150 yards, three turnovers and zero points.... And again, against a pitiful secondary. Heading into the fourth quarter, Allen had a sub 60% completion percentage, four turnovers & the Bills offense had 3 points. He looked completely overwhelmed in ways that don't necessarily populate a box score - to his credit, he played great to close the game out.

I mean, most people would've made the same argument last year and the defense turned out alright (10th DOVA). losing Jamal is HUGE, but the secondary otherwise got better and the defensive line is severely underrated IMO. I think we'll take a step back, but it's a solid group nonetheless. The Darnold mono thing definitely isn't an excuse, lol. I'll leave that alone though because I do think the offense will be outmatched. 

You're probably right about the 5-6 DBs. That's more a reflection of what I'd like to see in general this season, but I might be forcing it here. 

I’m really not sure what your point is here. You just keep repeating the same thing. yes Allen and the offense had turnovers in the first half. As I’ve said all along two of the turnovers weren’t caused by the defense or Williams confusing them. That’s my point. The Jets secondary may have been awful but they were Gavin GM an in experienced offense that had never played together before. Not surprising Allen in his 12th start didn’t light them up on the scoreboard.

The Bills lost 4 games to playoff teams and 3 of those were within 7 points. And lost one game that meant nothing in week 17 when they rested everyone. The Jets lost to a winless Dolphins and Bengals team. That’s the difference. Their record may have been close but the Bills beat bad teams and some good teams. They were competitive against better teams.

The Jets aren’t there yet with consistency. Maybe this is the year they do that. Twice now you’ve mention the Bills adding Diggs but then talk about all the Jets additions.  Buffalo did more than just that. They added a 9 sack guy in Mario Addison and upgraded their starter/depth across the DL.  All signs point to Buffalo being able to take that next step. That’s why the national media is talking about them that way. 

Adding 5 new starters on the OL is not a good thing, sure they should be better then last years dumpster fire but that is not a guarantee. Plenty of top OL draft picks and free agents bust. Until they prove one way or the other, they are just names on a paper who have had very limited time to gel so far. I like Herndon a lot but having basically not played in over a year he has a lot to prove as well. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s my point though. We keep hearing about how IF Darnold didn’t have mono how the Jets would have won or if Mosely didn’t get hurt etc.

The narrative could have been totally different IF the Bills handled their own business earlier in the game. 

I'm excited to see our run game vs the Jets DL. Singletary put up 70 yards last year on only a handful of carries. I don’t expect that again but not forcing Gore up the middle should help it get going lol.

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Y'all have a good GM in Douglas. I think you're a year away from making a run to the playoffs. It's no slight to the Jets that I think the Bills win comfortably, and by comfortably I don't mean 20+ points. Williams will dial up a solid game plan as you mentioned, but I don't think the Jets have the talent on offense (yet) to make this a one possession game with 2 minutes left. 

I'm sticking to my 24-13 prediction, it could def be a lower scoring affair. I'm shedding a bit of optimism here due to my *hope* that Diggs makes a big impression in his first game. 

I think I made that same score prediction on our page as well.

37 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

That’s my point though. We keep hearing about how IF Darnold didn’t have mono how the Jets would have won or if Mosely didn’t get hurt etc.

The narrative could have been totally different IF the Bills handled their own business earlier in the game. 

I'm excited to see our run game vs the Jets DL. Singletary put up 70 yards last year on only a handful of carries. I don’t expect that again but not forcing Gore up the middle should help it get going lol.

Speaking of Singletary I drafted him as my #2 RB in FF. Is he expected to have a good year? Or is Moss supposed to take over his job?