Covid Season Week 1 GDT: JETS @BILLS

bigbadbuff

52 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

He isn't listed ahead of him if you saw what Mcdermott stated that the RG is Ford Williams Winters and RT if Ford Nyseke Williams as co-starters. The reason you would think Ty is ahead of him is because on their website it has them in that order however it is strictly in Alphabetical Order with the Last Name so none of these guys are shown who is the starting Rg or RT but they have ford in front because of his last name. Apparently we will not know the starting oline until the moment they step on the field to take that 1st offensive snap

I didn’t even think about it being alphabetical. Sunday can’t get here soon enough. We need answers!

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Sure they are. Bills are better in just about every aspect of the game. I'm not just homering up here either.

This is gonna be a F up season with no pre season and Covid but comparing rosters, we have better talent and better depth at everywhere.

I like Sam Darnold a lot but from I seen from Le'Veon Bell, he lost his burst and I'm not sure you guys did enough on the OL.

Really? The talent discrepancy is enough to warrant a total blowout...And, you're not a homer?

The narrative that the Bills are on the cusp of Super Bowl contention, while the Jets are destined for a top 5 pick just doesn't add up to me. It must be based on the assumption that Allen will take a massive leap & Sam the opposite, because it's certainly not an accurate reflection what we saw last season. That's not a bet I'd be willing to make.

Again, the Bills are without question more talented (And better coached) - I have them winning the division as a result. You're getting ahead of yourself if you think they've separated to the extent projected in here. As it relates to Le'Veon, I don't think he's lost a step. His game has always been contingent on an offensive line capable of opening holes to showcase his vision, patience & overall talent. Not sure we're there yet, which is a shame because I don't think Le'Veon is to blame.

12 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Really? The talent discrepancy is enough to warrant a total blowout...And, you're not a homer?

The narrative that the Bills are on the cusp of Super Bowl contention, while the Jets are destined for a top 5 pick just doesn't add up to me. It must be based on the assumption that Allen will take a massive leap & Sam the opposite, because it's certainly not an accurate reflection what we saw last season. That's not a bet I'd be willing to make.

Again, the Bills are without question more talented (And better coached) - I have them winning the division as a result. You're getting ahead of yourself if you think they've separated to the extent projected in here. As it relates to Le'Veon, I don't think he's lost a step. His game has always been contingent on an offensive line capable of opening holes to showcase his vision, patience & overall talent. Not sure we're there yet, which is a shame because I don't think Le'Veon is to blame.

I never said its gonna be a blow out. Its opening week and a divisional game. I think its gonna be a long day for Darnold and I think Allen might struggle 

I think the Jets are multiple years away and I think Dolphins may have a better record come week 17

10 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I never said its gonna be a blow out. Its opening week and a divisional game. I think its gonna be a long day for Darnold and I think Allen might struggle 

I think the Jets are multiple years away and I think Dolphins may have a better record come week 17

And I never said there wasn’t a difference? You quoted me without context, responding to those who believe it will be a blow out. 

Nice subtle jab at the end - wouldn’t shock me either. I think the AFC East will be a dog fight.

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Sure they are. Bills are better in just about every aspect of the game. I'm not just homering up here either.

This is gonna be a F up season with no pre season and Covid but comparing rosters, we have better talent and better depth at everywhere.

I like Sam Darnold a lot but from I seen from Le'Veon Bell, he lost his burst and I'm not sure you guys did enough on the OL.

Better talent everywhere?  RB, DL, S, QB, TE could all be argued.  Calm down dude that's an outlandish statement.

Good luck Sunday

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Better talent everywhere?  RB, DL, S, QB, TE could all be argued.  Calm down dude that's an outlandish statement.

Good luck Sunday

I’ll give you those other positions but S is not a debate. I like Maye but Poyer and Hyde are a clear a step above and arguably a top 5 tandem in the league.

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I’ll give you those other positions but S is not a debate. I like Maye but Poyer and Hyde are a clear a step above and arguably a top 5 tandem in the league.

True I forgot how good they were.  We're not too far behind because McDougald is really underrated and our depth is there with Davis but I'll have the concede that position.

Should be a fun game and I expect a close one.  It comes down to Sam vs your secondary.  You guys were 0-5 when the QB posted a rating over 100 or something like that.  Sam has been around 90 in the last 2 games we've played against BUF so he's close.  Hope some of our key players are healthy because guys like Maye, Mims, Perriman, and Desir have all been limited recently.  We need all hands on deck to have a shot.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

True I forgot how good they were.  We're not too far behind because McDougald is really underrated and our depth is there with Davis but I'll have the concede that position.

Should be a fun game and I expect a close one.  It comes down to Sam vs your secondary.  You guys were 0-5 when the QB posted a rating over 100 or something like that.  Sam has been around 90 in the last 2 games we've played against BUF so he's close.  Hope some of our key players are healthy because guys like Maye, Mims, Perriman, and Desir have all been limited recently.  We need all hands on deck to have a shot.

That kind of seems like an arbitrary stat tbh. The Bills were also 9-0 when Allen completed over 60% of his passes last season. If he does that this Sunday and Darnold has a QB rating over 100 do we tie lol?

I think a key player(s) this week will be Siran Neal or Dean Marlowe. One of them will be our 3rd LB/S in nickel packages which is basically the base defense. How they hold up against the run and how they do against Herndon or Crowder could go a long way in securing a win. 

I still don’t see the Jets being able to drive down field enough times to win so hopefully Allen and the O don’t give them any points like last time or a short field to work with.

25 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Is a healthy Norman starting Sunday? Levi Wallace was solid last season, no?

I think so. McDermott is familiar and comfortable with him. Especially with Hyde back deep so him getting burned isn’t a huge worry.

Wallace has been up and down but he really struggles with tackling. Both guys were banged up throughout camp so the coaches never really got to see both at the same time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Really the last game was against back ups so you cannot take in to account what was done then with Darnold as Poyer, Hyde, and Tre didnt even play. Bills defense was ranked 2nd last year for a reason the players they lost they actually upgraded at the position on defense. Bills have added talent and went with a more experienced pass rusher in addison who averages 9+ sacks the last 4 years compared to Shaq's 1 year of 6 sacks, they added a versatile DT in Jefferson to take over for Jordan Phillips, they got Harrison Phillips back as he got injured last year who was playing really well against the run, they drafted Epenesa, and brought in a run stuffer in Butler so the dline has transformed for the better. They kept the dbs the same in poyer, hyde, tre, taron, and wallace. The only change at Lb is aging Lorenzo retired and Klein is coming in to play. This was the 2/3 defense in the league last year and the moves have been more upgrades then down grades. 

Allen was playing week 1 last year with 4 new olineman, 3 new starting WR that were added to the team and a rookie TE who never played a snap at the NFL level. This year is completely different as they had one year under the belt to build a chemistry with the oline and wr weapons plus they added Diggs, they will have Kroft available this time as last year he was out for several weeks at the beginning of the season. They also brought in an underrated RB via draft that has the tools to be better then Singletary who played very well for himself last year. So all in all bills have upgraded on both sides of the ball with out losing any true key players. I think the most devastating loss was Lorenzo because he was a leader for this team but the bills have plenty of them in the Vets that have been around since Mcdermott started out.

I think some of us Bills fans are seeing that the Jets didn't make any big moves to justify they went in to the right direction to say they have been able to get better. The oline is still a huge question mark, yes they have a physical freak in Becton but he is still raw according to scouts when it comes to his mechanics, I think overtime it will work out but to see it week 1 is a stretch. Outside of that who did they really upgrade that you can confidentally say they can protect Darnold? Your best defensive player opted out for the season, the other one was traded to the Seahawks, you cut the expensive corner to bring in a guy who didn't look like himself last year compared to other years, no clue who is playing cb#2 Bless Austin? you haven't brought in any pass rushers to upgrade that position, your wr corps is still weak, I am intrigued by Mims and think he will come in to his own just dont see it happening week 1 especially with him being injured for a bit, you lost Enunwa (I know he was lost last year too) but that was never filled this offseason. That is why at least my take away is compared to others on here is that the Jets are just not in a positive position from last year. How confident are your guys in Adam Gase too? His career has been good when Peyton Manning is Qb but outside of that his offenses have ranked statistically bottom half and majority of his time in Miami and his 1 year with Jets have been bottom 10 so what is going to change this year offensively that wasn't done last year to bring them over the top? Greg Williams has a handle on the run game but the pass game was a struggle, do you honestly think McDougal for Adams was an upgrade and that Peirre Desir will be better then the CBs you had last year to think the pass defense will be better? 

I am not trying to disrespect anyone or cause an argument as we all want our teams to win but this is what I look at to tell you why the bills are in a positive direction and the Jets are at a standstill or downward projection from last year. Key take away is that they find a new HC and build off of the foundation they have with the new young guys they have in place. Cut bell take the money they have and build a respectable oline that Darnold can be protected in. Mims and Perriman is a good start adding another WR can do him wonders as well. I think Mac did you guys bad last year by bringing in pieces that shouldnt have been brought in and that money could have been used more appropriately like olineman instead of bell. He had two shots of 100+ mil in cap space while being GM during his tenure and nothing became of it so that has set the franchise back big time.

Edited by soflbillsfan

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Allen was playing week 1 last year with 4 new olineman, 3 new starting WR that were added to the team and a rookie TE who never played a snap at the NFL level. This year is completely different as they had one year under the belt to build a chemistry with the oline and wr weapons plus they added Diggs, they will have Kroft available this time as last year he was out for several weeks at the beginning of the season. They also brought in an underrated RB via draft that has the tools to be better then Singletary who played very well for himself last year. So all in all bills have upgraded on both sides of the ball with out losing any true key players. I think the most devastating loss was Lorenzo because he was a leader for this team but the bills have plenty of them in the Vets that have been around since Mcdermott started out.

As someone who's had to endure watching Sam face more adversity than any young quarterback in recent memory, these excuses just don't do it for me 😎. I know, not really the point, Allen should be better this season with an improved supporting class - I'm actually very eager to see him play.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think some of us Bills fans are seeing that the Jets didn't make any big moves to justify they went in to the right direction to say they have been able to get better. The oline is still a huge question mark, yes they have a physical freak in Becton but he is still raw according to scouts when it comes to his mechanics, I think overtime it will work out but to see it week 1 is a stretch. Outside of that who did they really upgrade that you can confidentally say they can protect Darnold? Your best defensive player opted out for the season, the other one was traded to the Seahawks, you cut the expensive corner to bring in a guy who didn't look like himself last year compared to other years, no clue who is playing cb#2 Bless Austin? you haven't brought in any pass rushers to upgrade that position, your wr corps is still weak, I am intrigued by Mims and think he will come in to his own just dont see it happening week 1 especially with him being injured for a bit, you lost Enunwa (I know he was lost last year too) but that was never filled this offseason. That is why at least my take away is compared to others on here is that the Jets are just not in a positive position from last year. How confident are your guys in Adam Gase too? His career has been good when Peyton Manning is Qb but outside of that his offenses have ranked statistically bottom half and majority of his time in Miami and his 1 year with Jets have been bottom 10 so what is going to change this year offensively that wasn't done last year to bring them over the top? Greg Williams has a handle on the run game but the pass game was a struggle, do you honestly think McDougal for Adams was an upgrade and that Peirre Desir will be better then the CBs you had last year to think the pass defense will be better? 

The Jets added five new starters up front, all five should be considerable upgrades. That alone is enough to argue they've gotten better. Sure, continuity will be an issue early, but the bar was set so remarkably low last season that it's hard to imagine this group not being vastly improved. They aren't studs by any stretch, but it's all relative - compared to last season, it should be a massive improvement. Still a ways to go, but the question is moving in the right direction. Mosely didn't play last season, so not like we got worse there. Losing Jamal is HUGE. Having said that, a trio of Maye, McDougald & Ashyton Davis (star of camp) is still a very good group. We'll miss Jamal's game breaking ability, but from a coverage standpoint, there shouldn't be much of a drop-off. Peirre Desir is absolutely an upgrade over Trumaine Johnson, even if he's lost a step. Bless Austin was really good, despite what was supposed to be a lost season to injury. Sample size was limited, so we'll see, but there's a legitimate reason to be very excited about his future. Avery Williamson & Chris Herndon are two key players who missed all of last season due to injury. Additionally, a lot of fans are banking on big seasons from both Quinnen Williams & Bell (Who is in insane shape). WR/EDGE both still weak - no argument there... Not like we regressed though. 

I've compared this years off-season to what the Bills did last year: Nothing flashy, but Douglas took the right approach - it all starts up front. No reason to think we haven't moved in a positive direction. On the surface we should see improvement at: CB, TE, OL, MLB, RB, DL... Stand still: OLB, WR (Higher ceiling, scary low floor).. Worse: S (And again, still a very solid group)

….Obviously there's the expectation of Darnold taking a leap forward. He's been very good throughout his career when given at least average protection. I won't derail this discussion, but the numbers are telling. 

Coaching is a whole different discussion, lol - it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

someone who's had to endure watching Sam face more adversity than any young quarterback in recent memory, these excuses just don't do it for me 😎. I know, not really the point, Allen should be better this season with an improved supporting class - I'm actually very eager to see him play.

Reminds me of Allen’s rookie year with Benjamin, Andre Holmes and Zay Jones as his main targets.

Id be furious if the Bills were still trotting out that lacklustre of a group. In that sense I feel for Darnold and Jets fans. Douglas should help.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Reminds me of Allen’s rookie year with Benjamin, Andre Holmes and Zay Jones as his main targets.

Id be furious if the Bills were still trotting out that lacklustre of a group. In that sense I feel for Darnold and Jets fans. Douglas should help.

Yep.. We're approaching that territory. Mims was just ruled out for Sunday, we're rolling with: Perriman (Missed a lot of camp), Crowder & Hogan (Recently signed). 

My one knock on Douglas was letting Robby walk for so cheap. I'm not sold on Perriman who's been more bad than good & often injured - if the end of last season proves to be a fluke for him, we're in trouble.