Raiders place Marcus Mariota on IR

NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

A 15 minute conversation at the combine isn't enough to discover major character concerns. 

That's very debatable. A professional interviewer can discern an awful lot in 15 minutes. Anyway, I would hope we've been scouting these guys for 2 or 3 years though rather than just after the season on youtube highlights. And going in depth into their back stories before we give them life changing amounts of money. We should have reports going back years and all potential red flags noted. Every now and then someone will slip through the cracks but in this day and age where there's so much publicity and scrutiny you cant act like that's the only chance we got to assess him. Those of us here who were paying attention knew there were red flags, most chose to ignore them and look at the positives, seems like Gruden and Mayock did too.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:10 AM, NYRaider said:

It's crazy to compare Muse to White athletically when his testing numbers were almost identical? He was a starting safety at Clemson for 3 years, he's a good athlete. 

Bowden not making the team was almost certainly due to character concerns/being a bad fit in the locker room. Muse got a raw deal switching positions with no OTA's, no preseason games, and limited training camp practices. I'm not going to write a guy off before he has even played a single snap for us, a guys career isn't defined by a 6 game stretch. Plus look at Isaiah Simmons who was considered by some to be the best prospect in the draft and a can't miss pick. He went #8 and is hardly playing for the Cardinals. When he has been on the field he has struggled this year. Are you going to write him off as a terrible pick because he hasn't dominated right out of the gate? 

Isaiah Simmons (#8 pick) - 38.2 overall grade (Non-qualifier) 

Kenneth Murray (#23 pick) - 46.8 overall grade (55/81 LB)

Jordyn Brooks (#27 pick) - 41.1 overall grade (Non-qualifier) 

Patrick Queen (#28 pick) - 42.0 overall grade (68/81 LB) 

Should all of these guys be written off already? 

Take a poll if anyone else thinks they’re similar athletes.  Your in a massive minority.

On 10/20/2020 at 3:10 AM, NYRaider said:

It's crazy to compare Muse to White athletically when his testing numbers were almost identical? He was a starting safety at Clemson for 3 years, he's a good athlete. 

Bowden not making the team was almost certainly due to character concerns/being a bad fit in the locker room. Muse got a raw deal switching positions with no OTA's, no preseason games, and limited training camp practices. I'm not going to write a guy off before he has even played a single snap for us, a guys career isn't defined by a 6 game stretch. Plus look at Isaiah Simmons who was considered by some to be the best prospect in the draft and a can't miss pick. He went #8 and is hardly playing for the Cardinals. When he has been on the field he has struggled this year. Are you going to write him off as a terrible pick because he hasn't dominated right out of the gate? 

Isaiah Simmons (#8 pick) - 38.2 overall grade (Non-qualifier) 

Kenneth Murray (#23 pick) - 46.8 overall grade (55/81 LB)

Jordyn Brooks (#27 pick) - 41.1 overall grade (Non-qualifier) 

Patrick Queen (#28 pick) - 42.0 overall grade (68/81 LB) 

Should all of these guys be written off already? 

You are the master of manipulating arguments.  When did I ever bring up any of those players?  Never.  Stick to the facts.

muse wasn’t good enough to make our very weak LB core.  That’s horrible for a third round pick to not make the team.  Again I’m not here to convince you what to think.  If you want to think Muse Is this Uber athletic player then go for it.  If you want to think it was a great draft pick go for it.  I stated my opinion and backed it up fairly well.  To be honest the discussion doesn’t intrigue me.  If muse was so great he’s had have made the team.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You are the master of manipulating arguments.  When did I ever bring up any of those players?  Never.  Stick to the facts.

muse wasn’t good enough to make our very weak LB core.  That’s horrible for a third round pick to not make the team.  Again I’m not here to convince you what to think.  If you want to think Muse Is this Uber athletic player then go for it.  If you want to think it was a great draft pick go for it.  I stated my opinion and backed it up fairly well.  To be honest the discussion doesn’t intrigue me.  If muse was so great he’s had have made the team.

There were 4 LB's drafted in the 1st round including 1 in the top 10 who was Muse's teammate and played in a similar/versatile role. Simmons despite being arguably the freakiest athlete in the draft has struggled to make the adjustment this year. 

Muse is still currently on the team, he's on IR. An NFL career isn't defined by a 6 game stretch or even a single season. Kolton Miller had arguably the worst season in NFL history for a starting LT as a rookie and has developed into a very good player. I never said that Muse was great or that he will be great, I'm just not going to write a guy off that hasn't played a single snap for us. He was a starting safety at Clemson and his athletic testing numbers were almost identical to Devin White's at the combine. I do agree that he's not the same type of athlete as White and that's because he's pretty stiff in his movement, which is why he was never considered a safety prospect. 

I also agree that he was over drafted. If you look at my old mock drafts I liked him as a prospect, I just liked him in the 5th-7th round. Is it disappointing that he didn't make the rotation this year? Sure. But does that mean it was a horrible pick or that he will never be a good NFL player? Definitely not.