Cardinals extending WR DeAndre Hopkins

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

If this is the deal he wanted, I kinda understand BoB letting him go. That's a huge step forward ahead of other WR contracts.

I'm sort of in the same boat. BoB said he couldn't afford Hopkins while extending Tunsil and Watson. I don't think he was lying.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

That makes a lot more sense. I take back my comment about understanding BoB moving on for this contract.

This... along with a new money extension for Tunsil and Watson?

I don't think that's possible, given what Hopkins wanted financially.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'm sort of in the same boat. BoB said he couldn't afford Hopkins while extending Tunsil and Watson. I don't think he was lying.

Seeing more of the details though, if this only brings his AAV over the next 5 years to $18.8M, that's still a really team friendly deal for him when Mike Thomas and Julio are getting 20-22 per. A step up to 27M looked horrible, but if it's prorated across the contract to bring it to 18.8, that's almost too reasonable to pass up. 

And I understand that Watson is the franchise so you want to pay him, and then want to also pay the guy who ideally will be protecting him for the next decade, but are they really so tight that moving Hopkins from 12.5AAV to 18.8AAV is the breaking point? Pricewise, that's a little less than what you guys are paying for Duke Johnson and Randall Cobb. Or are you expecting that things are going to be so tight that you wouldn't be able to pay the 12M either?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drained said:

makes 27.7 last two years. he'll be in his twilight years making 27.7, its a massive win for him.

Thats not how that works. The signing bonus (maybe the $42m?) is spread over all 5 years. Roughly 8.5m/year. Which means the final $12m of the extension would be his salary the final 2 years. So his cap hit those years will be roughly $14-15m/year in his "twilight years"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Seeing more of the details though, if this only brings his AAV over the next 5 years to $18.8M, that's still a really team friendly deal for him when Mike Thomas and Julio are getting 20-22 per. A step up to 27M looked horrible, but if it's prorated across the contract to bring it to 18.8, that's almost too reasonable to pass up. 

I don't disagree, but I need to see how this prorate looks - with a dip in cap all but certain next fiscal year, I'm sure the deal isn't even across the next five years. 

Dimes to dollars, it's going to ebb and flow along the same peak as Watson's $160mm extension.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

And I understand that Watson is the franchise so you want to pay him, and then want to also pay the guy who ideally will be protecting him for the next decade, but are they really so tight that moving Hopkins from 12.5AAV to 18.8AAV is the breaking point?

A few points on this:

- Another name/number I didn't include was ILB Zach Cunningham - who inked a 4/$59mm extension ($14.75 AAV) about a week before Watson. Cunningham is quickly becoming one of the better 34 ILBs in the game, he was the highest rated run defender by a hefty margin last season. I love Hopkins, but getting him on a huge deal wouldn't help that Texans D improve. Cunningham is a piece that is required for growth on that side of the ball.

- At the time of the Hopkins trade, the contract that everyone thought was going to set the floor was th Dak Prescott deal; That was a deal that was estimated at $40mm AAV, so the prevailing thought was Watson would top that at $45mm-ish, then Mahomes would come in at $50mm. Sure enough, Mahomes set the ceiling on the Watson talk, which actually set the bar lower than what was anticipated. 

- Ultimately, I think that the trade was inevitable, simply because BoB didn't like Hopkins. I can't fathom WHY, but if there wasn't a personal stake in the relationship, I'm thinking a deal would have been done and all would be OK with some funky accounting. Hearing the money aspect of the deal cools me off a bit on this storyline, I'll admit that... but please don't mistake that as me forgetting that YOLO BoB is a bad GM. 

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Hopkins should think about becoming an agent after retiring. Including a NTC and a non-franchise-tag clause on top of that money is a splendid deal.

Yeah, he really killed it on this one. I am very impressed.

56 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

it was still a dumb trade.  i would have paid him. he is the best wr in the league.

Who don't you re-sign? Cunningham? Tunsil? Watson? Justin Reid next season? 

Because if you're extending Hopkins, you're not extending one of those four. So... pick one.

I'm not a fan of the trade either, but I understand it from a fiscal perspective. I don't like the trade because there should have been a first in the deal, somewhere. Heck, a 2022 first would have been sufficient...

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Who don't you re-sign? Cunningham? Tunsil? Watson? Justin Reid next season? 

Because if you're extending Hopkins, you're not extending one of those four. So... pick one.

I'm not a fan of the trade either, but I understand it from a fiscal perspective. I don't like the trade because there should have been a first in the deal, somewhere. Heck, a 2022 first would have been sufficient...

cunningam.