Cardinals extending WR DeAndre Hopkins

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

cunningam. 

Bad decision is bad. Cunningham is the best run defender in football, by a pretty big margin:

So... no Reader, no Clowney and no Cunningham in this scenario. I guess we're just going to concede the run... sort of like how we concede the pass right now? 

Derrick Henry rushes for 600 a game if you go this direction. Jonathan Taylor might go for 500 a game.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Bad decision is bad. Cunningham is the best run defender in football, by a pretty big margin:

So... no Reader, no Clowney and no Cunningham in this scenario. I guess we're just going to concede the run... sort of like how we concede the pass right now? 

Derrick Henry rushes for 600 a game if you go this direction. Jonathan Taylor might go for 500 a game.

Texans wouldn't have had this problem had they managed the cap correctly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I get what you're saying, but I myself would prioritize Watson and his surrounding cast rather than keeping an elite run defender.  

Then again I'm a Raider fan so I have poor judgement.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Hopkins should think about becoming an agent after retiring. Including a NTC and a non-franchise-tag clause on top of that money is a splendid deal.

To be fair, most people would look like competent agents if they were negotiating with the Arizona Cardinals.

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

Texans wouldn't have had this problem had they managed the cap correctly. 

Well you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on that, now can you? 

In hindsight, the Mercilius and McKinney contracts aren't good at all, but those are the only two "bad" contracts on the books that sit for a few years. Every other bad contract can be cut next off-season for pennies on the dollar.

21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I get what you're saying, but I myself would prioritize Watson and his surrounding cast rather than keeping an elite run defender

I get what you're saying as well, but Watson is the type of QB that can elevate skill positions - you sort of saw it last season when Hopkins' numbers went down overall (targets, yards, ypr and TDs all down). In this, you saw Darren Fells have a career high in TDs, Will Fuller set career highs in receptions and yards, Kenny Stills with a strong year (despite only joining the team the week before the start of the Regular Season). You had steady increases from Jordan Akins and DeAndre Carter on top of this. 

So, given this - you could stick with Hopkins, pay him and ensure that the leaky secondary would continue to leak, while letting other key guys walk, which would open up leaks everywhere else (all while potentially dealing with diminishing returns with Watson to Hopkins). Or... you can bet on Watson as a guy who raises the level of others, get resources for Hopkins (which should have been much more than what was received - I'll sing that song for days) bring in targets that bring in a missing element of speed to the Texans offense...

When your back is against the wall and you've got to punch at a weight class that you don't belong in (the KC weight class) you can't throw the same punch and expect to get lucky. You gotta throw different punches, throw in a few counterpunches, hope that plays out.

At least... that's how I'm compartmentalizing it now.

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

To be fair, most people would look like competent agents if they were negotiating with the Arizona Cardinals.

Yes, because giving Ryan Tannehill $91mm guarenteed to hand off the ball to Derrick Henry 30+ times is a prudent financial strategy... 

• Like 2