Week 1 GDT - New Look Patriots host Phins

Deadpulse

18 hours ago, Starless said:

Harry's fumble notwithstanding, I saw very little in the offense that gave me real cause for concern. I'd like to see the rookie TEs get involved more, and obviously not every opponent will allow the Pats to run the ball with this much effectiveness. But Cam, the OL and backs really looked solid. 

If the OL is elite, and it could be with Wynn, Mason, Thuney and Andrews, I think this team could overachieve. Masks a lot of others areas.

51 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

If the OL is elite, and it could be with Wynn, Mason, Thuney and Andrews, I think this team could overachieve. Masks a lot of others areas.

They have to stay healthy which has been a consistent concern.  And it's not like MIA are world beaters either.  Be interesting to see them against real competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

How was the Dolphins run defense? Was Newton the leading rusher out of necessity/play design/ RB's not getting it done?

Curious what the Bills may be looking at this weekend.

It was more because none of our RBs saw significant snaps. It was a near even split between Sony, Rex, James, and rookie JJ Taylor. The YPC was as follows:

Cam Newton: 5.0

Sony Michel: 3.7

Rex Burkhead: 4.6

James White: 4.4

JJ Taylor: 7.0

Also Jules ripped a 23 yard run. 

• Like 1

Cam had the most rushing attempts in this game since a game in 2014! 

@Deadpulse You said the offense is more suited to Cam than it was TB12 last season. I said 'quite possibly'. I now change that to definitely!

I've rewatched, WRs still didn't get open. When a WR caught the ball, he was either covered anyway (Edelman), or schemed open through running sweep motions before snap (Harry). None of them actually got open beyond 10yards all day.

The OL was so good punching holes in the middle, Thuney and Mason bullied their opposites. Bullied them. The runnings backs contributed well, reflected in 6! Players getting more than 20 yards on the ground (as you've put above). 

A Tom Brady offense should be on time, and get open receivers between zones. A Cam offense should bully people on the ground, and prioritize RPO/running plays first.

This is a Cam offense. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, m haynes said:

This is Cams offense however we all heard the announcers during the game saying they better find a way to beat 8 man fronts going forward.  The Pats WR group is so bad that they will see man coverage for the rest of the year.

We'll see stacked boxes for sure. PA is going to be HUGE. It would be awesome if N'Keal Harry and the Chamber of Bulk can use his size to box out DBs....

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

How was the Dolphins run defense? Was Newton the leading rusher out of necessity/play design/ RB's not getting it done?

Curious what the Bills may be looking at this weekend.

The Phins can tackle, however their Dline was getting pushed off the line and were leaving their back 7 to do most of the work. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Cam had the most rushing attempts in this game since a game in 2014! 

@Deadpulse You said the offense is more suited to Cam than it was TB12 last season. I said 'quite possibly'. I now change that to definitely!

I've rewatched, WRs still didn't get open. When a WR caught the ball, he was either covered anyway (Edelman), or schemed open through running sweep motions before snap (Harry). None of them actually got open beyond 10yards all day.

The OL was so good punching holes in the middle, Thuney and Mason bullied their opposites. Bullied them. The runnings backs contributed well, reflected in 6! Players getting more than 20 yards on the ground (as you've put above). 

A Tom Brady offense should be on time, and get open receivers between zones. A Cam offense should bully people on the ground, and prioritize RPO/running plays first.

This is a Cam offense. 

I would agree with most of that, but is the defense good enough to run an offense like that all year? At some point you'd think they're gonna need 350 yards passing to win a game, and I just don't see that happening without some broken or trick plays.

11 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I would agree with most of that, but is the defense good enough to run an offense like that all year? At some point you'd think they're gonna need 350 yards passing to win a game, and I just don't see that happening without some broken or trick plays.

This week, for me, is about as hard as it gets. Wilson is ridiculous and their deep passing game is the best in the league. It's probably too early to be playing this game in the season.