2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

4 hours ago, xrade said:

Unfortunately, my imagination for the Jets is akin to the movie 2012.  However, I can't wait to see real football again.

Lol. Being epically bad is a possibility. The good thing about having a mostly completely new team is that nobody actually knows what we are including the Bills.

Bills fans seem to think this one will be over by half-time, with Allen leading the way through the air...

Pretty much onboard with the collective sentiment on here. I think defensively we match up favorably because of our ability to stop the run up front - hoping that this leads to 5-6 DBs on the field the majority of the time. Not only does that play to the strength of our roster, but should mitigate Allen's ability to scramble & force him to win with his arm against a crowded secondary.

Offensively, I'm not going in with any expectations. The lack of continuity between Sam & the receivers is a lot to overcome against this secondary. Would like to see Bell utilized creatively & it'll be nice to have Herndon back. 

Edited by NJC33

Allen had 6.8ypa vs us last year and multiple turnovers. Diggs is a threat but if Allen cant get him the ball does it matter?

Desir and McDougald are the only additions to the starting defense so I expect us to be running things well. Communication should be on point.

Bills defense avoids getting beat deep, Darnold/Gase used that to our advantage and featured Crowder heavily last year and he performed well. Darnold not being sick and knowing this offense inside and out to the point where he can make the proper checks/reads. He will help everyone around him.

We definitely should feature Bell and Gore and try to open up the PA passing game and put their linebackers in conflict.

This is going to be a fun game.

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Allen had 6.8ypa vs us last year and multiple turnovers. Diggs is a threat but if Allen cant get him the ball does it matter?

Desir and McDougald are the only additions to the starting defense so I expect us to be running things well. Communication should be on point.

Bills defense avoids getting beat deep, Darnold/Gase used that to our advantage and featured Crowder heavily last year and he performed well. Darnold not being sick and knowing this offense inside and out to the point where he can make the proper checks/reads. He will help everyone around him.

We definitely should feature Bell and Gore and try to open up the PA passing game and put their linebackers in conflict.

This is going to be a fun game.

Allen won't beat us through the air, but it takes 1 broken play for Diggs to take off for a score - hopefully that doesn't happen

I see this being close.  Both teams match up well.  I see this close with us losing a heart breaker late in typical Jets fashion.

Sam needs to ball because that is the one area we should have the advantage of he's on his game.

27 Bills

23 Jets

Sam has the ball late and can't get us in the end zone.

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I see this being close.  Both teams match up well.  I see this close with us losing a heart breaker late in typical Jets fashion.

Sam needs to ball because that is the one area we should have the advantage of he's on his game.

27 Bills

23 Jets

Sam has the ball late and can't get us in the end zone.

The issue with that is that Buffalo has one of the best secondaries in the NFL. So it’s highly unlikely Sam will ball out. We will have to win on the ground controlling the clock and Sam keeping Buffalo honest through the air. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The issue with that is that Buffalo has one of the best secondaries in the NFL. So it’s highly unlikely Sam will ball out. We will have to win on the ground controlling the clock and Sam keeping Buffalo honest through the air. 

Sam can ball out underneath and in the middle of the field

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

They have 2 good safeties. And good CBs. It would take Gase being creative to get guys like Crowder, Herndon and Bell against LBs consistently for him to ball out.

Their zone willingly yields short-area possession catches in exchange for preventing big plays; Crowder had target totals of 17 and 10 in last year’s two games

• Like 1

Just now, Bianconero said:

Their zone willingly yields short-area possession catches in exchange for preventing big plays; Crowder had target totals of 17 and 10 in last year’s two games

Trust me I hope our trio of Bell, Criwder and Herndon carves them up. And they very well may. If I had to bet though... they won’t be able to do enough to win. Mainly bc their is not threats besides them. Hogan isn’t scaring anyone. And we don’t know how many snaps Perriman and Mims will get coming up injuries. I hope by all means we can play balanced.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The NFL is set up to favor the QBs.  Even the best secondaries can be beat.  Sam has games where he elevates his teammates and there is no reason he can't do that this week.  They got better by adding Diggs but we are coming in with an improved OL, Herndon back, better CB play and hopefully an even better DL with a healthy Q.  Even without Adams and Mosley it's hard to say we aren't better then we were last year.

Sam needs to out play Allen to have a chance and I see no reason that can't or won't happen.  That's why I have it close with them edging it out because of their chemistry and just better overall balance on the roster.

6 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Yup. Crowder will be featured heavy as will Herndon I'm sure. Perriman, if he plays will keep him honest going deep as well. 

Bell is the question mark for me but I think that depends on the O-Line  + Gase's willingness to establish the run game.