2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

I don't see why it's a question to be had. Even Sam at his best has shown his 'just' a good QB. I'm struggling to think of any rookie QB in recent memory that wasn't essentially a Day 1 bust that hasn't at least shown the same peak as Sam. I have no idea why people are holding onto him like he's had Nick Folk level peaks and lows.

We play like this every week we’re drafting number 1 ... Sam didn’t look sharp at all ... tackles seemed better this year too ... WRs eh ... but that’s been the case most of his career anyway. 

josh Allen looked way more polished, decisive, and accurate (yes I know he had a couple of his signature wife misses)

22 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Oh I do, there’s nothing I can say pregame that would change your mind regardless so I’ll let the game speak for itself. He’s not trash. Move on

He's a sub 60% passer and dont tell us to move on, we can talk as much crap about him as we want. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

Man, this whole team should have opted out of the season.

Granted, I didn't expect to beat the Bills in Buffalo. Look at them: they are better at every single position group than us, not to mention having superior coaching.

To simply keep it to a ten point game we needed:

• A garbage time TD
  • Two easy misses from Buffalo's kicker (that'll teach them to cut someone who was still playing well, to save money)
  • Two random Josh Allen rushing fumbles
  • A flukey long TD "pass" that was all Crowder and a bit of blocking

I was trying to stay positive despite a mountain of press predicting us to be awful this year, but it's hard. We have no playmakers on defense (Maye is the closest thing, and he's good but not great), and the season might be over by the time the offensive line gels, if it does.

This is a last place team unless the offense pulls out a miracle once they've spent a bit more time together. And if we're picking top 5, we have to think hard about going QB.

I think we'll have a better answer about Sam 15 games from now, but as it stands, I'm against going QB unless he looks really bad and we're staring at Lawrence/Fields.

I'd build up on the OL, WR, and EDGE and assume that if Sam sucks again next year, then we'd be in great position to draft a QB in the 2022 draft. Part of the issue the Jets and other bad teams have had in the past is that they draft their QB before they build their team. A rookie QB should be walking into a situation where he's on a team ready to support him and win.

Edited by NewAge
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TheChad said:

Man, this whole team should have opted out of the season.

Granted, I didn't expect to beat the Bills in Buffalo. Look at them: they are better at every single position group than us, not to mention having superior coaching.

To simply keep it to a ten point game we needed:

• A garbage time TD
  • Two easy misses from Buffalo's kicker (that'll teach them to cut someone who was still playing well, to save money)
  • Two random Josh Allen rushing fumbles
  • A flukey long TD "pass" that was all Crowder and a bit of blocking

I was trying to stay positive despite a mountain of press predicting us to be awful this year, but it's hard. We have no playmakers on defense (Maye is the closest thing, and he's good but not great), and the season might be over by the time the offensive line gels, if it does.

This is a last place team unless the offense pulls out a miracle once they've spent a bit more time together. And if we're picking top 5, we have to think hard about going QB.

Fumbles aren’t random man. Those were legit hits made by our guys. 

The flukes TD was Sam calling the check vs the pressure that was coming and the team executing. 

Theres a lot, probably 95% of the game, to be pissed at but the small positives shouldn’t be dismissed as luck or flukes. 

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Fumbles aren’t random man. Those were legit hits made by our guys. 

The flukes TD was Sam calling the check vs the pressure that was coming and the team executing. 

Theres a lot, probably 95% of the game, to be pissed at but the small positives shouldn’t be dismissed as luck or flukes. 

I get your points, and admittedly I was annoyed after just having watched the game. And having waited 7 months to see... that effort.

Josh Allen has a bit of a habit of getting run happy and then fumbling, but we aren't without some level of credit for those. And I'd given up on giving Sam or anyone on offense any credit for anything in this game pretty quickly.

The Browns got slaughtered by the Ravens, and yet, in the first half at least, they looked like much more of a professional football team than we did. And that's pretty sad.

Honestly it might be simpler than I've been thinking: we just don't have any great players. Who are the best players on this team? Crowder and Maye? I love those guys, but they're good players, not great ones. If they're your top guys, you're in trouble. Bell hasn't been great with us. Mosley's not playing. Who's next? Connor McGovern? Steve McClendon? We need to make those picks for Adams count.

1 minute ago, TheChad said:

I get your points, and admittedly I was annoyed after just having watched the game. And having waited 7 months to see... that effort.

Josh Allen has a bit of a habit of getting run happy and then fumbling, but we aren't without some level of credit for those. And I'd given up on giving Sam or anyone on offense any credit for anything in this game pretty quickly.

The Browns got slaughtered by the Ravens, and yet, in the first half at least, they looked like much more of a professional football team than we did. And that's pretty sad.

Honestly it might be simpler than I've been thinking: we just don't have any great players. Who are the best players on this team? Crowder and Maye? I love those guys, but they're good players, not great ones. If they're your top guys, you're in trouble. Bell hasn't been great with us. Mosley's not playing. Who's next? Connor McGovern? Steve McClendon? We need to make those picks for Adams count.

We dont have top end talent, we have good complimentary talent but we dont have gamechangers on either side of the ball. Too many things have to go right for us to win, starting with Darnold not playing like a complete joke. Like I get wanting to critique our coaches but if he's missing throws I mean what else can we do. Same for the defense. GW does the best he can with what he has, he needs a true EDGE threat to help get off the field on 3rd downs.

There’s no doubt JD will be heavily scouting the three top QBs. I wouldnt trade up for one of them. But if a QB is there when we pick and JD is excited about that QB, he has to take him.

We can use the Seattle 1st on a WR like Bateman. And our OL seems to be far enough along that likely one additional FA will have that unit good to go. They looked descent today. We’ll also likely be able to add a FA WR.

Have the QBs compete.