2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Gase was getting guys open, Sam was throwing it over their heads. The worse call was the screen late in the 2bd quarter because it only gave us 1 shot to score. He attacked Klein when he came in with Bell, Bell ended up getting hurt. Isolated Herndon on a screen but he fumbled because Becton over ran the assignment and let Hyde in to force the fumble. Got Hogan open in the back of the EZ but he dropped the pass. 

Execution was lacking way more IMO, play calling wasn’t magnificent but every fan base craps on it when guys aren’t executing. 

I know you are a Gase fan and I am not as down on him as many others considering the lack of talent we have.  But a few things really jump out at me.

1. Gase runs the a pretty vanilla scheme.  Where are the play actions, motions?  Geez, mix it up a little.  Stop with the 2nd down line plunges putting the O in third and long.
  2. Gase is supposed be a QB guru, yet Sam looked really bad yesterday after having a month to prepare.  Nothing Buffalo did was a surprise, yet there was nothing in the game plan to take on their aggressive, stack-the-box approach.  The video of Mekhi flattening a defender is a perfect example.  There are 9 men in the box.  We had 5 OL, 1TE, and a FB.  Three of the OL are 5 yds downfield while our RB is crushed behind the line.  This would have been a perfect time to audible to a swing pass to the RB or motion the WR for a swing pass or shovel pass and go around the end.  Nope.  7 DL and 2 in-the-box LB/DB and we still charge straight ahead.  The play had no chance.
  3. Gase is stubborn.  He wants to run his O and that's it.  I can understand why some would like an Eric Bienemy.  Andy Reid adjusts his O to the player's strengths and minimize weaknesses.  Same in Baltimore.  How about adjust the scheme to fit the players on your team especially a young QB who has all the potential in the world.  Then gradually get the players you need for more complex scheming.  Look at our own GW.  We have crap CB's that are not good in man/press coverage.  What does he do, he goes to zone.  When a player on the D is playing bad (Desir), he removes him.  Gase seems incapable of that.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And next week it will be the same excuse bc SF has a great defense too.

Maybe.  If it continues against average defenses then you know its a big concern.  We are going against a Superbowl defense next week with a banged up unit that's sub par to begin with.  What are you expecting Sam to do?  

9 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Brutal miss by Sam that wasn't shown in the broadcast 

By far his most concerning play of the game for a number of obvious reasons. This play is like an onion...and the more layers we pull back the more I want to cry. This has nothing to do with Gase...this is bad football and terrible situational football by Sam Darnold. 

It really is funny seeing media members and some YouTubers criticizing the play calling and then this genius just shows how it wasn't the play calling and how bad Darnold really was. I will say this, maybe Gase's offense is just too damn complicated for guys and a watered down offense will be better especially for these kids coming out of college. The amount of checks and reads necessary make it very hit or miss. Guess right and you get a 69 yard screen to the house, guess wrong and you hit a smoke screen on 3rd and 9 for a 1 yard gain.