2020: Week 1 - @ Buffalo Bills

Bianconero

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

On the surface it would appear correct. But as I said... do we really think this OL with 5 new starters in game 1 is going to look great? I don't. And I hope I'm wrong. Same at CB. WE have Poole back at CB who plays good, but Austin can blow several coverages just as easy as he can look good. Desir is new here and battled injuries a lot in camp and every CB after that is new as well. So the CB situation to start out is a lot like OL. Where it's trending up. But expect a learning curve.

As for Herndon... I like the guy a lot, But let's be real. We act like him coming back is like we are getting Kelce back. The guy hasn't done nearly enough to warrant this praise IMO. I hope he does have a breakout year. But a rookie year of 500yds and 4tds doesn't warrant me calling him this great weapon we are getting back. He needs to prove A LOT more for me than he does for others it seems.

Herndon's rookie year was among the best.  You tend to do that with players if they haven't had a 1k season, you down play their potential.  Before every player broke out they didn't have the stats to back it you just have use your ability to predict and everything says when this guy is on the field he's a difference maker.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Herndon's rookie year was among the best.  You tend to do that with players if they haven't had a 1k season, you down play their potential.  Before every player broke out they didn't have the stats to back it you just have use your ability to predict and everything says when this guy is on the field he's a difference maker.  

Fact is though a lot of guys that have rookie years like that don’t pan out. So to anoint him as a difference maker and a “weapon” already for me is jumping the gun. As I state repeatedly.., obviously I want him to be great. But having a rookie year 2 years ago that was really just rather average among all TEs doesn’t have me sold on him as it does many of you. Especially after not playing a whole year as well.

"Quarterback Sam Darnold has an 81.5 quarterback rating in three career games against the Bills, two of them in Orchard Park, NY. He's thrown for 544 yards, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions while completing 66.3% of his passes and is familiar with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier's scheme that features a lot of Cover 4."

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Fact is though a lot of guys that have rookie years like that don’t pan out. So to anoint him as a difference maker and a “weapon” already for me is jumping the gun. As I state repeatedly.., obviously I want him to be great. But having a rookie year 2 years ago that was really just rather average among all TEs doesn’t have me sold on him as it does many of you. Especially after not playing a whole year as well.

Just in terms of ability, you dont view Herndon as a viable weapon?

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Just in terms of ability, you dont view Herndon as a viable weapon?

I do. I view Mims as a weapon as well. But these guys aren’t proven. Mims hasn’t taken a snap. And Herndon hasn’t caught a pass in 18 months that was meaningful. My point is... some of Jets fans talk about Herndon like he’s a top TE in the whole NFL that’s proven... when that’s 100% not the case. Can he be? Maybe. But there’s 0 to support that he is that right now. He’s a player with skill and potential at this stage. Not proven.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I do. I view Mims as a weapon as well. But these guys aren’t proven. Mims hasn’t taken a snap. And Herndon hasn’t caught a pass in 18 months that was meaningful. My point is... some of Jets fans talk about Herndon like he’s a top TE in the whole NFL that’s proven... when that’s 100% not the case. Can he be? Maybe. But there’s 0 to support that he is that right now. He’s a player with skill and potential at this stage. Not proven.

We talk about him based off of what we've seen and his overall ability. Of course he has to prove it on the field but if we simply wait for any of these guys to prove anything we'd have nothing to talk about. 

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We talk about him based off of what we've seen and his overall ability. Of course he has to prove it on the field but if we simply wait for any of these guys to prove anything we'd have nothing to talk about. 

Not true. As I stated Bell and Crowder are proven. Want to talk about how big they will contribute... I’m all for that. As I am talking about Herndon. But as I’ll continue to say until he proves himself over time. Herndon hasn’t earned the right to be used with names like them. As neither does Perriman or Mims either. They’re just 3 guys with potential at this stage for me. With little to nothing actually proven.

Allen will have to win with his arm IMO in this one (and maybe his legs, not the RBs legs). We will see fast what Desir, Austin and Poole have at CB against Diggs, Brown and Beasley. Some small, fast and quick guys. McDougald and Maye will obviously be tested too. But for me that will be the difference. Our secondary against their WRs. I expect our front 7 to hold their own.

I still think if Bell gets going we win this game. Bell has the ability to carry the jets to a win. He should run the ball 20 times and if he keeps getting 4 or 5 yards the bills will be sitting on the bench while the D gets tired. I expect Bell to have a big game because Gase knows he F upped last year. Gase knows he has a lot of pressure on him to win this year or else he is out the door and probably will NEVER have a NFL HC job ever again. 

There is no question this will be make or break year for Sam Darnold, whether we win or lose if he plays like a top QB I will be more than  satisfied. It seems like everybody is walking on eggs when talking about Darnold. I think ( Gang Green ) was the only person to talk about Darnold all pre season. If someone else talk about Sam I missed it. Time to take the training wheels off Darnold now.

55 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I still think if Bell gets going we win this game. Bell has the ability to carry the jets to a win. He should run the ball 20 times and if he keeps getting 4 or 5 yards the bills will be sitting on the bench while the D gets tired. I expect Bell to have a big game because Gase knows he F upped last year. Gase knows he has a lot of pressure on him to win this year or else he is out the door and probably will NEVER have a NFL HC job ever again. 

This is my thoughts. Only way we win if controlling the clock and running against them. Which isn’t unrealistic. We have a better OL and a great RB. So it can be done. Hurting them in the run can open up the pass and put them on their heels. What we can’t do is get down early and try and pass our way into the game. We just don’t have the talent to do that against a very good secondary.